What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Daughter found 8 pints of apple butter at our old place that we put up in 2009. We checked it out , it still tastes very good. The only thing is some of the lids have a little rust on them. We may recan them if it doesn't get eaten quickly,and try that . otherwise we will throw it out.

Daughter found 8 pints of apple butter at our old place that we put up in 2009. We checked it out , it still tastes very good. The only thing is some of the lids have a little rust on them. We may recan them if it doesn't get eaten quickly,and try that . otherwise we will throw it out.
I have two quarts of potatoes that I canned in 2014. Seal is good, but lids are really rusty. Would recanning them with new lids give them a few more years? Not really worth it for 2 Quarts, but good to know. If I was really industrious, I would get them out from under my bed and use them now. Maybe I should make soup tonight...….. I pulled everything out from under bed to replace and fill holes in my pantry and found them.

Another 5 quarts of cranberry juice . That's all the canning for now. We still like cleaning lower kitchen cabinets and the rest of the pantry. Our middle daughter is coming to spend 4 days with us to help with that. Hopefully we will get another freezer cleaned out and un plugged

Last edited:
I have 14 quarts of squash. I’m so happy! I didn’t think I was going to get any this year. My plants just didn’t make anything. I’m getting ready to can apple butter that I did in the crockpot and then my B& B pickles. That should be all unless my fall tomatoes make.

I have 14 quarts of squash. I’m so happy! I didn’t think I was going to get any this year. My plants just didn’t make anything. I’m getting ready to can apple butter that I did in the crockpot and then my B& B pickles. That should be all unless my fall tomatoes make.

Our squash never came out right. Too mushy.
I'd like to can some green beans but not in season. But can't wait till greens are out we will can lots of them.

@Meerkat I like to can squash the way old alabamer did it in his YouTube video. Canning Squash for Frying later. It is not mushy that way and it fried up great.
I watched that one last night. That’s how I did mine. It doesn’t look mushy,but we’ll see. I love it anyway it comes, so it doesn’t really matter if it’s too soft.

WE found a bunch of number 10 cans of ketchup, corn, pork and beans, and boston baked beans in our pantry. And 1 more can of mushrooms. So far we have re-canned ketchup, corn, and mushrooms. Will get the rest tomorrow.By the way these were free.
Just curious, why re-can them?

because they just went out of date 2 weeks ago and besides there is only 4 of us here all the time. pints and quarts are just more managable for us. but mainly trying to extend the life a little.
Oh, I just realized that you said cans of ketchup. So, I guess the others were big too. :):)

I had to do a little recanning myself today. I did candied jalapenos yesterday and for whatever reason none of my jars sealed tight. It was one of those where it sealed but the button didn't stay down so knew it wouldn't hold. Have no idea what happened. Brand new case of Ball jars. Everything heated, runs were wiped with vinegar, even processed in water bath for 5 minutes. Been doing it the same way for years now.

I don’t can anywhere near the amt of stuff that you do, timmie! I did 14 quarts of squash, 3.5 pots of apple butter, and 7 pints of B&B pickles. That will last me all year!
People give me things like the taters and onions and if my oldest daughter and her family and us can't eat ut fresh i can it. mainly because i can't stand to see it ruin. besides that particular product i won't have to buy.

Latest posts

Back