What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I quit buying Ball a while back. I buy Kerr or Golden Harvest and have not had any problems.
I use them all with good success. WM has their brand “mainstays” that work fine. I think some of them may have been in storage a way too little too though and that can cause failure esp if they’ve been too hot for long.

I normally have success with ball jars, thats mainly what gets sold here except for WM and their own brand name. I know these were bought within the last 3-4 months maybe, but more like 2 if I remember right, so maybe stored at the warehouse too long? Or maybe defected lids? I threw the old lids and used out of a brand box. I've just never had a 100% failure when sealing. And all my jars are stored inside the house.

Ok @timmie, I know you have done pumpkin butter in the crock pot. I was going to link my post to it but with all your canning lately, I skimmed thru about 4 pages. . . Whew! :) Anyway, I was going to let you know that I decided to go ahead and let it coo k down in the crock pot this time. I normally just do it on the stove top but figured I'll give this a try. It seems like it will be much easier to just let it do its own thing.

alright so I do have a question for yall . Other than chunks of pumpkin & pumpkin butter is there another canning recipe for pumpkin? I don't do the pumpkin soups cause I would be the only one who eats it and honestly it is not a favorite.

Dani, I have done the pumpkin butter in the crockpot. I also have done salsa. We had picked 21 cases of tomatoes and I put 6 large crockpots going while I canned plain tomatoes. This coming year I plan on trying ketchup, bar-b-que, and tomato sauce in them. Only this time I have 1 xtra large slow cooker. If I have too ,I will plug in the normal crockpots. Pumpkin and puree is all I know of so far but I will be om the lookout for something new.

Dani, I found a recipe for pumpkin preserves. If you want I can post it later.
Please yes!
and I found one for pumpkin marmalade.
It has pumkin, lemon, 2 oranges, 5 cups sugar and pectin. I still have two more pumkin s to do now. I can do 1 for each recipe.

PUMPKIN PRESERVES
1 pound pumpkin strips
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
Cut pumpkin strips into thin shavings. Spread the shavings on a platter, sprinkle with sugar and lemon juice,and let them set for 8 to 10 hours.Place pumpkin mixture into a large thick bottomed saucepan and cook over low heat until it is clear and tender.about 1-1/2 hours. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Remove from heat and quickly skim off foam. Fill hot jars immediately with pumpkon mixture,leaving a 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rims and adjust lids.
process in a boiling water-bath canner .
half-pints ,5 minutes
pints , 10 minutes
I got this recipe from the Auburn extension service.

Dani please let me know if you like these 2 recipes. they sound delicious. When we get some pumpkins i am going to try them. But my family likes the pumpkin soup.

I did see a YT video for pumpkin syrup that peaked my interest that she bottles but then stored in the fridge. Just seemed like the recipe could have been canned too so I will do some more searching on it to see. That may just be another thing to do. Added into coffee would be a great holiday item or even on top of pancakes & waffles for the fall. Just trying to get ideas cause I have a bunch of butternut squash that I will need to use soon too.

Would something like this recipe work? Haven't tried just looking around while I'm waiting for it to get light enough that I can see out in the barn.
http://crockpotrecipeexchange.com/homemade-chocolate-syrup-yes-in-crock.html
I would think you can easily double or triple the recipe to do as many jars your crockpot would fit.
so I made this chocolate syrup recipe this morning along with taking 3 sweetened condensed milk to make the caramel sauce @timmie had posted about. My crock pot holds 8 half pints so wanted to fill it. I got 4-1/2 pints of caramel and 3-1/2 pints of the chocolate sauce.

Pumpkin preserves, marmalade, curds? I cannot imagine how that would taste, but if something grows I imagine you two have a method for canning it.
Think pumpkin pie in a jar taste. . . I'll make frosting, breads, cookies, pies and cakes out of them. I haven't done the marmalade but it is on my to do list.

I've only canned the puree with the addition of either white or brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger & cloves. Never plain though I have read where others have. I'd be willing to try it if I found instructions, but I haven't as of yet.
Any instructions that I find say not to purée but to freeze it. It would have to be pressure canned, but I don’t know how long.

I knew about the pressure canne r but like you don't know times. The old canning books had the recipe, I just haven't ran across it yet though. I remember looking thru my grandma's book when I was a kid and remember seeing all kinds of things like custard s, curds and puddings. I wish I had that old book but when she passed everything she had got tossed or given away.
the current regulations , at least I feel this way, are basically a "canning for dummies" book. If there was reported cases of botulism it was deemed unsafe. Heaven forbid it could have been from humane error.

If there was reported cases of botulism it was deemed unsafe.

I was told that if a recipe hadn't been tested by the (gov. agency), then it was deemed unsafe. I've always thought that untested doesn't mean unsafe. I've looked at botulism statistics a few times and what I see is that rancid fish they make in Alaska and Canada and sometimes green beans that have been water bathed. That's about it as far as canning, I think.

I feel like people who have been canning for years can use their own common sense to preserve safely. Like when you are not certain if a recipe has a high enough acid level, do like @NannyPatty does and use a pressure canner. I use my own recipe for making salsa because when I first got into canning i tried all of the "approved" recipes that I found in the Ball Canning Book. I couldn't stomach all the vinegar added. I grow heirloom tomatoes, which have a higher acid level but to be on the safe side, I add in a Tablespoon of lemon juice.
I get the whys of the canning Nazi's, especially for beginners, but would be nice to be able to share some of the old recipes freely. If you have ever tried to go into a canning website and ask for about canning up some pickles eggs for instance or putting no yolk egg noodles into a jar of chicken and noodle soup, you get the same response. . . You are playing with fire! Not approved! Just because you haven't killed yourself yet doesn't mean you wont. . . These kind of recipes are out there, just really hard to find. Would it really be too difficult to just add a disclaimer saying this has not been approved. Most of it is because there has not been enough research. Lack of money or whatever the reasons.

Latest posts

Back