What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh how I would like to not have to cook a meal. . . Life has just been crazy for me with trying to take care of everything around here inside and out, planting, fixing and taking Granny lunch and dinner everyday, working my graveyard shifts two to four days a week then the surprise ER visits of moms husband, DIL, then taking mom to her doctor visits. . . Some days I literally only get an hour and a half sleep. I am worn out!! And if I didn't have to drive a few hours to get to your place I would take you up on it Jim. ;)

I haven't gone away guys, just life is hectic so I check in every once in a while when I get a chance.

First, @Dani I hope you get some rest soon.
It's not yet canning season here. My peas are 3-4" high which is good as we have only one jar left in the pantry. I did buy a couple bags of frozen to tide us over, but it's not the same. Peas in the canner and apricots on the dehydrators are the first to get the season rolling :chef:

Nothing ready yet here, but my peas are in bloom so we should be doing those before long as well as dehydrating apricots - my favorite :)
@Amish Heart bet your place smells good - squirrel repellent? :D Actually, I can hardly wait to get some onions dehydrating. I bought a couple cheep little things of it today so I can mix up some more taco seasoning. Otherwise, I've been nipping the tops off of ours if I need some.

Ha squirrel repellent. I've dehydrated nearly 50 lbs of yellow onions recently, and the only one repelled was our youngest daughter when she was visiting. No one else here seems to mind, but I do open a window. I've ended up with 2 number 10 cans full and 3 large mason jars, and still have about 15 large onions to go. It was a good price, around $18 for the 50 lbs, and I won't need dried onions for a super long time now. I got a great price on Roma tomatoes, so sliced tomatoes are in the Excalibur now (69 cents lb), and the other dehydrator I have I've been filling with rose petals to use in rose potpourri and other projects for Christmas. Roses at home and at the preschool are blooming like mad right now, so I grab them when the petals look like they're going to drop. That stupid squirrel turned that room upside down. Still cant believe he ate the wood venetian blinds. I have some #10 cans of nacho cheese sauce I need to can in jelly jars. Just haven't gotten to it yet. Bought some bulk powdered milk that needs to be dry canned in #10 cans, too. I buy cooked corn in #10 cans at Sams Club because it's cheaper that way, and our chickens like it (we have about 100 chickens). So I save the cans and ordered the lids from LDS. I line it with a gallon ziplock, add an oxygen absorber, and store dried food that way. Rodent proof (except the lid), they stack well. I save the little jars to use in my pantry, and refill from the big cans.

Today canning carrots and beans. Have 14 quarts in canner now.

I know we put too many beans in the jar, but tried to use all of them in one canning.

fHezD6V.jpg

25 lb.s of carrots. Got 25 quart out of the bag. GreenWise Organic from Publix $19.99. Really pretty ones.

6XJdmwn.jpg

Last edited:
Out of curiosity I looked up how much it would cost to send a 20lb package from New Mexico to Australia. This was just one website that seems to have a minimum weight of 58lbs but... :eek::eyeballs:

View attachment 11190

Wow.
I appreciate you taking the time in looking that up and posting it.
You can see why Australian suppliers have to attach such a huge premium to their canning equipment.
They have to cover the international shipping to get it into the country.

Latest posts

Back