What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dried a few bags of cranberries too. Found out that I'm not really fond of them that way. I'll snack on them from time to time but I prefer dried fruit to berries.
I like putting the dried cranberries in my granola and salads especially kale. Or even making muffins when rehydrated. Im not a big fan of just eating them by themselves.

Today I ended up toasting some walnuts then canning in a praline sauce made out of some of the sorghum my neighbor gifted me. I only did 10 half pints but he will be getting one of those along with some baked items to satisfy his sweet tooth. Other than that, I did some cheese sauce out of a velveta style block of cheese.

1229171411.jpg

11 pints of pineapple today, finally!

Dani, How do you make your honey syrup?
Sorry I missed your question for so long. For every 4 cups water, I add in 1 cup honey. We let bee keepers keep hives on our property and in exchange we get a couple cases every year. I am wondering about next harvest though. Our guys lost 2500 hives due to the floods here. I was happy they didn't loss any here though. He said it will take them a little over two years to build them back up.

Sorry I missed your question for so long. For every 4 cups water, I add in 1 cup honey. We let bee keepers keep hives on our property and in exchange we get a couple cases every year. I am wondering about next harvest though. Our guys lost 2500 hives due to the floods here. I was happy they didn't loss any here though. He said it will take them a little over two years to build them back up.

No problem! I figured you'd see it sooner or later. I'm so sorry about the hive loss! Hope the keepers can get built up quickly. Weather is an unpredictable phenomenon!! We're kinder box dry here in Okla.

Can't believe we ran out of Ham n Beans. Got 6 lbs. of Navy beans, 12 lbs. of smoked hocks, and 5 slabs of ham steaks for canning tomorrow. If I'm lucky, might be able to sweet talk the canning girl into some split pea with ham, too.

Wish I could get some pickled beets on the menu. Nobody want to put them on sale around here.

Canned up Chicken Noodle soup, White Bean Chicken Chili, then thru in a few jars of Pork n Breaks to finish off my third canner load. Figured I didn't want to waste the extra space when I could do something else.
Did you get the brakes at Auto Zone?:)

We talk about what we're canning but how the stuff is used is missing in this thread.

I started little experiments some years ago. I canned, dried and vacuumed sealed a bunch of stuff and put it out of the way to put it through the test of time. Last night I popped open a jar of chili I canned in 2011. After 7 years, aside from a few of the kidney beans being a little mushy, it held up very well, tasted great and I'm still here today to talk about it. :)

Oppppps. I but this in the wrong thread. It should be in canning. Hey @phideaux . Could I trouble you to move this to it's proper place. :oops:

P1030193.JPG

Veggie chicken broth. Or is it stock? I can never keep that straight. I make it with all chicken parts, and add a variety of veggies (including all the greens/rabbit food that I personally don't like to eat but know are good for me).

Like to have plenty of this stuff on hand this time of year.

Latest posts

Back