What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just a small squash...

Ok that's $1.40/lb.
Takes 6 lb to make 4 pints of sphagetti sauce.
+ Seasoning mix.
+ Peppers and onions , hopefully from my garden.

6 x 1.40 = $8.40
Season mix = $3.00

$8.40 + 3.00 = $11.40

$ 11.40 ÷ 4 = $ 2.85 per pint.

That's not bad.

Jim

That's far to much math for me. Tomatoes not sprayed with anything, dried stuff from last years garden = delicious pizza & spaghetti sauce that won't make the kid sick.

Our first day this year at canning sphagetti sauce.
Goal is at least 52 pints.
Gotta buy some bell peppers.
11 pints today.
IMG_20200724_220219644.jpg

Jim

Wife got 2 bushel of tomatoes, 25pounds onions,pea,bean,1/2 bushelpeaches from famly in Georgia.
Someone ask her to come get fig & she came back with 1/2 bushel basket full of fig & a Bushel of pear.
The lady said she put free you pick on Facebook & no one came out. She does live off the beaten path.

I have an older version Stocking Up that I use that says 20 minutes for pints and 40 minutes for quarts. Think you should probably go by your time since it is more up to date.

There is also a video on you tube about canning okra to fry later from Old Alabama Homesteader I believe e that is not pressure canned that I have used for okra and squash types.

I finally got onto cannygranny.blogspot.com but whole tomatoes were not there. It is no longer recommend to cold pack because of the unsure acid levels of tomatoes. My book suggest you wash, dunk in boiling water to loosen skins, then peel. Either leave whole or quarter. Then bring back to boil and pack jars to a 1/2 in adding the boiling water or juice of headspace. Process pints for 35 minutes and quarts for 45.

Now with that said, I don't do whole tomatoes unless they are cherry. Otherwise I will chop with skins on and then I will cold pack adding a tablespoon of lemon juice for added acid and then put in water to the 1/2 in headspace. I really do hate peeling skins unless they are bitter tasting, but I have yet to have had any. Then process according to the times listed above. That is the easiest way for me. The reason I don't like doing whole tomatoes is just my preference since I feel like whole tomatoes take up too much room and I can get more into my jars by chopping. I also prefer using 1/2 pints mainly since 1 jar is normally good to throw in casseroles and I don't have extra to store in the fridgr. I process my 1/2 pints for 30 minutes.

I finally got onto cannygranny.blogspot.com but whole tomatoes were not there. It is no longer recommend to cold pack because of the unsure acid levels of tomatoes. My book suggest you wash, dunk in boiling water to loosen skins, then peel. Either leave whole or quarter. Then bring back to boil and pack jars to a 1/2 in adding the boiling water or juice of headspace. Process pints for 35 minutes and quarts for 45.

Now with that said, I don't do whole tomatoes unless they are cherry. Otherwise I will chop with skins on and then I will cold pack adding a tablespoon of lemon juice for added acid and then put in water to the 1/2 in headspace. I really do hate peeling skins unless they are bitter tasting, but I have yet to have had any. Then process according to the times listed above. That is the easiest way for me. The reason I don't like doing whole tomatoes is just my preference since I feel like whole tomatoes take up too much room and I can get more into my jars by chopping. I also prefer using 1/2 pints mainly since 1 jar is normally good to throw in casseroles and I don't have extra to store in the fridgr. I process my 1/2 pints for 30 minutes.
I forgot to say that these are water bathed.

@Dani 50 minutes PC for okra is adding 10 minutes to be safe.

I found the easiest way to skin tomatoes is to just core and freeze. When you thaw them, the skin slips right off.

I love your pantries!
Thank you! That is my tomato section, but you can see I have some squash invading into that section. I have read that freezing will make them slip their skins off easily but I really haven't experienced skin issues as of yet. . Maybe one day I will try just to see what the difference may be.

I don't blame you for adding the extra minutes to be on the safe side. . . Always better to be safe than sorry.

IMG_20170707_105735.jpg

This is a picture that I have shared before from 2017, you know on that other site. I have a total of 4 of these type shelves for canned goods and another 4 for dry goods. Since I have added in a couple additional rolling carts to the room, i t is hard to get a descent picture.

Edit. Apparently I only thought I had attached a picture. . . Trying this agsin.

Last edited:
Yesterday I canned 28 half pints of thin beef sausage links and 8 pints of chicken.
I can only fit two beef links in a half pint if I cut them in half and I par boiled them before I canned them to get rid of a lot of fat.
They worked out well and two links is all I need for a meal with sides without having refrigerate left overs.
I still have 3 packs of sausages left in the fridge I have to can today or tomorrow.

View attachment 47210
This is a picture that I have shared before from 2017, you know on that other site. I have a total of 4 of these type shelves for canned goods and another 4 for dry goods. Since I have added in a couple additional rolling carts to the room, i t is hard to get a descent picture.

Edit. Apparently I only thought I had attached a picture. . . Trying this agsin.
I'm jealous!

Latest posts

Back