What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This afternoon, hubby made and canned 9 three cup jars of salsa. I canned 11 pints of corn, 6 pints of diced tomatoes and 9 more half pints of tomato sauce. And all the dishes are done. I’m almost finished canning for the season. Need to get garlic planted so I have it for next year.

If anyone has the “Food Saver” brand vacuum sealing attachment hose and would be willing to part with it, I would buy it. Mine bit the dust and can’t seem to find replacements. It’s gray at one end and green at the other and came with the Food Saver seal a meal. Thanks all!

If anyone has the “Food Saver” brand vacuum sealing attachment hose and would be willing to part with it, I would buy it. Mine bit the dust and can’t seem to find replacements. It’s gray at one end and green at the other and came with the Food Saver seal a meal. Thanks all!

We still have one but bags are getting low, thinking of using freezer or stoage bags once the Food Saver ones eun out?

I have a question @Dani or any one else who might know!

I am PCing sweet potatoes and regular potatoes. Normally, I would do the sweets for 90 minutes- quarts, but when I steamed them to remove skins, I cooked them through. Whoops. Can I PC for the time for the regular potatoes since the sweets are completely cooked, skinned and cut up? makes sense to me, but would like other's thoughts.

I have a question @Dani or any one else who might know!

I am PCing sweet potatoes and regular potatoes. Normally, I would do the sweets for 90 minutes- quarts, but when I steamed them to remove skins, I cooked them through. Whoops. Can I PC for the time for the regular potatoes since the sweets are completely cooked, skinned and cut up? makes sense to me, but would like other's thoughts.

Got my answer. Still PC for 90 minutes. Thanks anyway!

And more maters! :)

Hubby picked up a gihugant bag of chips - seriously it's like a pillow case - so I will be canning chips. Am going to see if I can get more 1/2 gal jars, would take forever with quarts.

Update from just a little bit ago. You know, I forget that we are in "Pandemic" mode - there really should be some horrifying music in the air or screams of mass hysteria over loud speakers or something. There are no 1/2 gallon jars anywhere. There are lots of pints and half pints. I have plenty of those and quarts. I will put the chips in gallon jars I have. They don't vacuum seal so will tighten as much as possible and when I find half gallons will transfer to them. I think I have a couple available but not enough for a pillow case sized bag full of chips.
Yea, I know it's also canning season - wrong time to be looking for jars, just don't think I've ever seen no 1/2 gallons. It's usually pints and quarts that go.

Um, I was mistaken. Hubby didn’t get 1 giant bag of chips, he got 4! 😳. Have no idea what to do with them all!
image.jpg

Thats looks awesome HB. Would you mind sharing the reciepe for the pear honey? I've never heard of that before. We did Pear butter one year when we had access to a bunch of pears. Been so long I don't even recall what we did for that.

Thats looks awesome HB. Would you mind sharing the reciepe for the pear honey? I've never heard of that before. We did Pear butter one year when we had access to a bunch of pears. Been so long I don't even recall what we did for that.
I was thinking the same thing!! I hadn't heard of it either but have both on the property. Would love to get the recipe!

Latest posts

Back