What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone tell me how much water is supposed to be in the pressure canner? Cover the jars? 2-3 inches with the jars on the rack covers the jars. I’m so confused and online everything just says 2-3 inches which covers the jars on the rack and looks like that’s not supposed to be the case with pressure canning....... help!!!

Can you watch video? I fast forwarded this to the water level,justclick on it.

@Meerkat, we're thinking alike - I was just looking for videos.

@Double R, have you watched any videos on YouTube? I know when I do something new, I like to watch someone else do it first! LOL.

Yes we both went YouTube crazy when we saw the water go over the jars. Couldn’t find an answer as to if it should actually cover the jars so I came here in a panic 😂 I was probably asking the wrong question. We thought the 2-3 inches was pretty simple till we added the jars and it went over the top. Then all heck broke loose 😂

Oh my gosh y’all!!!! I hear pinging!!!!!!!!
4BE98170-975F-44F3-A573-0E1ECB3F5839.jpeg

Another question for you experts. How tight do you put the rings on? They say screw the rings until resistance is met them finger tight. Like tight? Or just a little turn? I have one that was slightly loose but it still seems to have sealed.
Round 2 getting ready to go in.

Today I canned 13 quarts of chicken and 14 pints of broth. That was 8 packages out of freezer. 6 more sacks to go. I was gifted with 36 frozen chickens around August. I was down to 2 quarts from last year. Maybe next weekend I can finish them. Then I may do the gallons of berries in freezer as well. Nervous relying on freezer, especially after 36 hours without power last week.

@Double R
Confession: I still don't know what the heck "finger tight" means. Seriously, what is that?

I finally saw a video where someone was screwing it down tightly, but didn't put it in a death-lock grip and crank it. Sorry I can't be more specific than that. But that works for me now (for years I wasn't doing it tight enough).

@Double R
Confession: I still don't know what the heck "finger tight" means. Seriously, what is that?

I finally saw a video where someone was screwing it down tightly, but didn't put it in a death-lock grip and crank it. Sorry I can't be more specific than that. But that works for me now (for years I wasn't doing it tight enough).
So make them tighter 😂 Wonder if we should toss this batch 🤔

2-3 " from the bottom of the pot. Again, don't sweat it. A 925 is smaller then a 930 so 2 " is sufficient but it really doesn't matter if you have a tad more.

If those are pint jars, the water will end up higher relative to quart jars. Sounds like, pun intended, that you have succeeded. Next time will be less nerve wracking.

Wait 24 hrs before messing with the jars. Remove the rings, wipe them down and at this time, you can test the seal by lifting the jar by the edges of the lid after the ring has been removed. If the jar has sealed great, but if it has a weak seal, the weight of the contents hanging will pop the lid. Nothing separates, they are good for storage. The lid comes loose, reprocess or use it.

Last edited:
So make them tighter 😂 Wonder if we should toss this batch 🤔
HECK NO! lol
Seriously, you got the ping, so you got the seal.

Let it fully cool (I'd go a minimum of 12 hours cooling - preferably 24) before removing the rings. You do want to make sure the rings are off before you store the jars.

And with all canned jars, you continue to keep an eye out to make sure they're sealed. (That's one of the reasons for storing jars with rings off.) Before you open a jar, check for seal. If they ever become unsealed, that's when you toss it. ;)

HECK NO! lol
Seriously, you got the ping, so you got the seal.

Let it fully cool (I'd go a minimum of 12 hours cooling - preferably 24) before removing the rings. You do want to make sure the rings are off before you store the jars.

And with all canned jars, you continue to keep an eye out to make sure they're sealed. (That's one of the reasons for storing jars with rings off.) Before you open a jar, check for seal. If they ever become unsealed, that's when you toss it. ;)

Awesome! Woo hoo!! I’m doing the silly dance right now. Thank you guys so much for babying me through this. I should have started another thread but...... oops. Second batch is in now. 2 cups left that I will throw in the freezer and use first.
I can’t believe we’re finally canning!!! Wooo hoooooo!!!!!!!!! Wish I could hug y’all in person!:huggs::huggs::huggs::huggs::huggs::huggs::huggs::huggs:

Don't toss anything if they pinged. Wait until tomorrow and do the test. A few hours after removal from the canner, it is ok to push the lid down gently to see if the center gives. If it moves up and down with press and release, it hasn't sealed. Put the jar in the fridge if you can't reprocess right away.

Please don't do this right after removal from the canner. Let those jars do their thing.

Finger tight means to turn the ring until it won't turn any more, but do not use any strength to make it tighten. You then reverse turn the ring very slightly, to make sure you didn't hulk it too tight. The reason is that air needs to get out of those jars, hence, all the boiling action you see when they first come out of the canner.
You may notice that after processing, some rings might be quite loose. Not to worry, just wait for that ping.

@ClemKadiddlehopper Thats super helpful. Ok so round two the rings are probably to tight then. Guess we’ll see what happens when they come out of the canner. The first batch must have been just right. What got us was some were boiling far more than others and it seemed like those we’re the ones with the fat looser rings. Thank you!

No problem, and there is room for error on tightening the lids. A few more batches and you will get a feel. You will never get it 100%. Just to mess with you a little, once you get the hang of it, along comes the tatler lids and you get to start all over again. I am still working those out.

I was reading some of you guys talking about those and just tuned it out for the time being. Lol
I am on cloud 9 right now. A long time want to do is finally a reality thanks to you all here. It’s already not nearly as scary. I still have so much to learn but it’s coming together.
thank you everyone again. Sorry to have brought it into this thread but I’m really grateful for the help, advice and support and one day I will look back on this and I’m sure do a face palm and laugh. 😂

Well.... looks like we will be recanning the 2nd batch. Rings must be on to tight. No pinging or bubbling being seen. 😢
Definitely to tight.
edit- Loosened the rings just a bit to what I felt like the others were when they came out (HOT!!!!) and within 20 seconds at most they started pinging. Figured if it wasn’t going to work we would be recanning them anyways so what the hay. Will see how they do by tomorrow. Lesson learned!

Last edited:
No problem, and there is room for error on tightening the lids. A few more batches and you will get a feel. You will never get it 100%. Just to mess with you a little, once you get the hang of it, along comes the tatler lids and you get to start all over again. I am still working those out.

I find that the ball ring tightener/loosener thing gets them right. This thing, but NOT this price. I paid around $3 at Wal-Mart.

@Double R Congratulations!!!🎉🍾🎈. By August you’ll be ready to put it away for a while. 😊
Thank you! I think my hubby thinks i’m nuts at this point. I want to can EVERYTHING now 😂
Currently looking for a good recipe for green beans similar to how they come in the can. A good salsa recipe but not a raw chunky recipe and a jalapeño recipe.
Then onto a good spaghetti sauce recipe. Really hoping to find a way to can my mother in laws sauce. She could really use some shelf stable sauce for when the grandkids are over. She works herself to death making pressure cooked sauce for them. Going to try and find a similar recipe and see if we can make it work.
Yep. I may be crazy. Going to need a bigger house for all this cannin! 🤣

Thank you! I think my hubby thinks i’m nuts at this point. I want to can EVERYTHING now 😂
Currently looking for a good recipe for green beans similar to how they come in the can. A good salsa recipe but not a raw chunky recipe and a jalapeño recipe.
Then onto a good spaghetti sauce recipe. Really hoping to find a way to can my mother in laws sauce. She could really use some shelf stable sauce for when the grandkids are over. She works herself to death making pressure cooked sauce for them. Going to try and find a similar recipe and see if we can make it work.
Yep. I may be crazy. Going to need a bigger house for all this cannin! 🤣
Green beans are easy. Clean beans, cut to lengths and put in jars. Add 1/2 tsp salt to pints or 1 tsp to quarts then pour hot water over them to 1” below rim, lid & rim. PC for 20 minutes for pints or 25 minutes fir quarts.

Green beans are easy. Clean beans, cut to lengths and put in jars. Add 1/2 tsp salt to pints or 1 tsp to quarts then pour hot water over them to 1” below rim, lid & rim. PC for 20 minutes for pints or 25 minutes fir quarts.
:Thankyou: :huggs: That is super easy. Going to try and find some to try it before the garden time. Do they come out like store bought can green beans texture wise? That’s how hubby likes them so I’d like to get them close. Of course they will take far better 😬

:Thankyou: :huggs: That is super easy. Going to try and find some to try it before the garden time. Do they come out like store bought can green beans texture wise? That’s how hubby likes them so I’d like to get them close. Of course they will take far better 😬
Yep- just more flavorful. I think the veg that is most different from store bought is corn. Home canned tastes soooo much better! It’s a little bit of work, but every time you eat a jar, it will be worth it.

Latest posts

Back