What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I chop cabbage in thin strips. Put it in a crock (mine is a #2), add kosher salt, add more cabbage, add a little more salt. Cover with bottled water. Then put a weight stone on and press down. Make sure the water is over the weight stone and the cabbage is under the weight stone. Then put a lid on it. I take the scum off the top once a week and then leave it in the crock for at least a month. Then I take it out, rinse it in a colander. At that point I either water bath can it, or put it in a big jar with water and salt in the fridge and use it fresh. I love sauerkraut.

I had six glorious days off from work, so I decided to make a big batch of meat sauce and can it.

meat sauce 1.jpg

Ground beef, Italian sausage, onions, garlic, mushrooms, tomato sauce, herbs from the garden, and a big old rind of Parmesan for flavor while it simmered..... house smelled great and I got 24 pints of it. Tried one and it was delicious! I had to cook it in my water bath canner, as my other stock pots were not big enough to hold it all!
meat sauce 2.jpg

Attachments

• meat sauce 3.jpg
    meat sauce 3.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
gonna get some dry red beans ready to can tomorrow. today gonna do some granny smith apples and some chicken soup, and dehydrate some more cranberries.

We have a local truck garden that we can buy fresh shelled pintos for canning or freezing. They are amazing. No comparison to the dried ones. We can get a bushel , shelled for $30. So worth it!

I've got another dishpan full of pecans to crack and shell out . Then I'm going to can them so I can get them out of my freezer. Alan out of the freezer. Also have collards to get out of the freezer . Looks like January is going to be a very busy canning month for me. This weekend i have some russet potatoes to can while we are baking .
Is this code? Who is Alan? I'm concerned if Alan is out of the freezer yet.

I was suppose to can up 5 kgs of chicken legs I got on sale and I got everything prepped and ...where on earth is the canner weight?

I tore my kitchen apart looking for it and it now looks like a bomb has gone off but no weight to be found.

Unpacking the jars, putting the chicken into the freezer and rewashing the jars....and cleaning the kitchen.

I'm calling it lost and I've just had to buy a new one on-line.

It'll take over 9 days to get here because I had to pay postage and it's on the other side of the country.

Back