What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caned 10 4oz jars of hot sauce and processed and coked down 58lbs of tomatoes. They can wait until morning to be canned. I'm tired.
0118211752.jpg

i just canned up 9 pints of italian sausage, mild and sweet mixed together like johnsonville brand or a store brand depending on cost.
i figured aobut 4-5 sticks per jar depending on diameter of links. i chop them up, cook 'em down and load the jars. it comes out very well.

Last edited:
Thanks, Jazzy. I passed on cases of sausage last week at auction, not thinking. I canned hot dogs once, and did not like how they canned, but taking them out of the casing...... maybe that’s my project this week. I did can red grapefruit, one batch/18, and that’s enough. It looses it’s color pretty quick in storage and grey grapefruit tastes ok but doesn’t look ok.

The meatloaf I PC'd yesterday looks good and I know the meatloaf that I cooked was good. There is fat in the jars. I think I will just heat it in the jars and drain the fat then. Should be easy. Next time I will use higher grade beef or use ground turkey or chicken. I ran a spoon handle down in the center of the packed meat and added the sauce for topping.

Thanks, Jazzy. I passed on cases of sausage last week at auction, not thinking. I canned hot dogs once, and did not like how they canned, but taking them out of the casing...... maybe that’s my project this week. I did can red grapefruit, one batch/18, and that’s enough. It looses it’s color pretty quick in storage and grey grapefruit tastes ok but doesn’t look ok.

you reminded me of a canning experiment i did years ago, i canned up kielbasa. cut small chuncks, cooked down a bit and canned. but it turnd out with a slight bitter aftertaste and i didnt care for it but the dogs loved it. i did a bit of research and found there is a spice used in kielbasa that will turn bitter at a high heat--but sorry i forgot which it was.
the italian sausage turned out perfect so i try to can some up now and then, but ive not tried the hot itialian sausage.

i never thought of canning grapefruit--i might try some regular, i love grapefruit

Sage? Right? Not sure what others there are.

you could be right, i honestly dont know but it made the a little bitter so i never canned any more.i used the hillshire farm kielbasa, my favorite. every jar i opened had that bitter after taste, it really seemd like it was some spice in there. dogs didnt care and enjoyed it.
ive canned bacon, pepperoni, a couple different brands of italian sausage, ground pork and other meats plus lots of soups and stews and ive never had that happen except with kielbasa.

maybe i should have experiment with a different brand.

Our Walmart here has sweet peaches and cream corn for 10 cents an ear, now would be the time to buy and put up some, you can’t plant it that cheap, it comes out of Florida. Tomatoes are going for 10$ for a twenty lb box, from Florida to. How’s the time since I have nothing to do ,to Can.also I saw fresh potatoes from Fl. For a 50 bag, you never know if we will have any this summer. But hopefully I can have canning lids, I ordered 96 lids from a veterans site.well they were selling jars and lids and giving money to veterans. Legit site. Jars are a little pricy

VERY! Almost done cooking down and ready for canning. House smells soooooo good! Already ate to much.
You should try canning spiced apple cider - just hot water bath, but when you are mulling the cider with the spices - oh yum! You don't want to exhale, just keep inhaling 😂

You should try canning spiced apple cider - just hot water bath, but when you are mulling the cider with the spices - oh yum! You don't want to exhale, just keep inhaling 😂

Next trip to Apple Hill I will definitely do that! Already planning what I’ll be canning with apples when that trip happens so I’ve now added that to the list! Thank you 🙏🏼

Spiced apple cider is good, and so is that last batch that’s starting to turn hard.
I have canned a lot of apple juice, and try to use it in different ways. Ham tastes good in the crock with juice for liquid, cranberry sauce is awesome using juice instead of water. I know a dairy farmer with lots of apple trees, and there’s a pitcher of cider on the table for every meal. They’re quite healthy.

Our Walmart here has sweet peaches and cream corn for 10 cents an ear, now would be the time to buy and put up some, you can’t plant it that cheap, it comes out of Florida. Tomatoes are going for 10$ for a twenty lb box, from Florida to. How’s the time since I have nothing to do ,to Can.also I saw fresh potatoes from Fl. For a 50 bag, you never know if we will have any this summer. But hopefully I can have canning lids, I ordered 96 lids from a veterans site.well they were selling jars and lids and giving money to veterans. Legit site. Jars are a little pricy
Your prices are amazing. We never have corn that cheap except for an August when we’re growing it locally.

But my question is don’t you get tired of peeling potatoes (50 lbs!) when you can that many? I’ve only canned potatoes once and I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands so it’s never easy to do. But that session of canning potatoes really did me in for a couple days because of the peeling.

I was thinking since I raise my own potatoes and we had 140 pounds this year, it might be easier to use my apple peeler for peeling as long as I don’t care what they look like, i.e. frying them up or mashing them for usage. I quoted them as they said in the recipe but if I leave the slicing mechanism on the apple peeler, they will be the right size.

Up until the 10 quarts I did this year, I’ve always roasted them and frozen them for our deep freeze. They warm up in the oven or the microwave marvelously. But they take up so much freezer space!

My wife did some jam recently. I noticed the store starting to limit how many jars you can buy already. We have been grabbing them when we see them here and there, so we should be good.

Back