What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@snappy1 Boneless. Make broth with the bones.
What would you use the canned chicken (by itself for?

I have a Facebook group that I get most recipes from. Actually two. Rebel canners and S.N.U.G. Otherwise, Pinterest has plenty of recipes.

I can my chicken by the quart and boneless. I use it for chicken salad, chicken and dumplings, casseroles, as well as chicken pot pie. Fast easy suppers. I can broth separately as it turns very dark after canning so long with the meat. I add water to coverthemeat. Is time extensive but love having it. Sometimes I use my birds, but usually buy and freeze chicken on sale.

I have a Facebook group that I get most recipes from. Actually two. Rebel canners and S.N.U.G. Otherwise, Pinterest has plenty of recipes.

I don’t have Facebook or Pinterest. I’m chicken to use recipes that aren’t in the ball books. I really need to get over that. Just still so unsure of what we’re really doing and doing it safely. Guess that will come with time.

I can my chicken by the quart and boneless. I use it for chicken salad, chicken and dumplings, casseroles, as well as chicken pot pie. Fast easy suppers. I can broth separately as it turns very dark after canning so long with the meat. I add water to coverthemeat. Is time extensive but love having it. Sometimes I use my birds, but usually buy and freeze chicken on sale.

So it’s usable for other cooking even after being canned. Do you do that with raw or with cooked meat or both? I was thinking some sort of chicken pot pie filling or something already.

So it’s usable for other cooking even after being canned. Do you do that with raw or with cooked meat or both? I was thinking some sort of chicken pot pie filling or something already.
I cook it and bone it before canning. I take all day on this. It is labor intensive but so worth it. Easy quick meals. I never can anything with flour or pasta in it as not advised. Too much work to have it not be perfect and healthy. I have canned hamburger but not meat loaf as they said it was too dense for high heat and pressure to get all way in. I use the ball book or TAMU extension office guide for everything. Except canning butter as that is not approved but did it anyway. I am not an expert or a lawyer so can not advise only tell what I have done.

You can use it in pretty much any recipe that calls for chicken.

14 Quarts of potatoes and 8- 1/2 pint jars of blackberry jam. Jam set well but i will be looking into using pamona pectin next time. WAYYYYYYYYYY to much sugar. Can’t even eat it it’s so sweet. Will offer it to family. Oh well. At least I know how now. Used up the last of the old blackberries. More room made in the freezer.

14 Quarts of potatoes and 8- 1/2 pint jars of blackberry jam. Jam set well but i will be looking into using pamona pectin next time. WAYYYYYYYYYY to much sugar. Can’t even eat it it’s so sweet. Will offer it to family. Oh well. At least I know how now. Used up the last of the old blackberries. More room made in the freezer.
You an thin it and make BB syrup, sweetener for ice tea, &/or use it in cookies replacing a portion of the wet ingredients - if you like such things.

I don’t have Facebook or Pinterest. I’m chicken to use recipes that aren’t in the ball books. I really need to get over that. Just still so unsure of what we’re really doing and doing it safely. Guess that will come with time.
As you get very comfortable with canning, you will be able to read a recipe and see if it is "safe". I have used many that are not considered safe by the canning Nazi's, but I also know that there are many unapproved grandma recipes out there that I have used for years now.

I'm curious about your bologna canning. Do you cut it in cubes? I did a search for info on how to do it but didn't find anything. I did find how to make my own bologna and was surprised at how simple it is.

Yes, cubes work best. For canning about anything, check out Jackie Clay’s information. She has a blog on Backwoods Home, and has published many articles and books. Best of all, this lady has lived it and done it, and doesn’t hesitate to share her knowledge. She has homesteaded all over the US, and has a wealth of experience.

Latest posts

Back