What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am nervous on having a canning marathon also, what happens if the lids are not available next year?
If you find lids for this year and buy a few lids for next year at the same time... Having a dozen boxes of lids does not take up a lot of room, if you can afford them, get them while you can...

I actually bought a flat of regular and a flat of wide mouth lids 3 years ago and have just been buying what I expect I will need at the start of each year.... I think of it as part of my long term food supply...

We ordered 600 lids online at the end of last year and just got them in. The were $2 a box of 12, and there are some here at the little amish store, but they are $9 for 25. So far I've used about 80. Doing grapes and salsa and tomatoes. I had a stash of them before I got my order in.
You got me to thinking, my stand by flats each have 36 boxes of lids (432 lids) plus I have friends who work at ACE who picked me up a couple dozen boxes of both wide and regular mouth in January, so I'm good. I checked the Ball page, and I am so blessed, I don't think I payed more than $2 a box for any of them (I got a lot for about a buck), even at volumes they are now listed at $4.70 a box... No, having an inventory in a time of high inflation is like money in the bank.

Yes it is. I have some still with a Kroger clearance price tag on them...Kerr brand 12 lids for $1.25. That is shocking. They do have sleeves of them around here (made in china) 100 for $34.00 reg mouth. The made in China makes me mad. We got our big order from Berlin Co, but ordered waayyyy long ago, and they honored the price when we received them at the $2 a box

I am nervous on having a canning marathon also, what happens if the lids are not available next year?
Tractor Supply has wide mouth lids online right now for $4 / box. I went ahead and ordered a few boxes. No regular mouth lids available. I have Tattler lids too so I'm really fine. Might look at the Tattlers.

Tractor Supply has wide mouth lids online right now for $4 / box. I went ahead and ordered a few boxes. No regular mouth lids available. I have Tattler lids too so I'm really fine. Might look at the Tattlers.
What is the life of the rings on the tattlers? I also use them, bit not sure on the lifespan of rubber rings

What is the life of the rings on the tattlers? I also use them, bit not sure on the lifespan of rubber rings
I can't say, but keep them in a controlled environment (out of sun and heat) and should be a long time. The same with the sealing ring on the canners. If they look a little dry, you can wipe olive oil over them to help keep them conditioned. Or at least that's what I do.

Tatler rings will should last for 10 or more uses if stored properly. However, they can stretch if the lids aren't placed correctly or some idiot decides to finger shoot them :mad:

I need to buy another 24 cft freezer. I was cleaning and reconditioning three of them after the move, to get ready for the beef, and it turns out one didn't survive the trip. I always keep a spare for these situations.

I bought 2 bushels of Lady Cream peas Friday and canned 50 pints on Saturday. I still have Zipper Cream peas in quarts and quarts of pinto beans left over. Few tomatoes in freezer until I can process them but plenty of chicken in freezer I need to can. I need overnight to thaw, then cook and then can. I just need 2 days at home. Maybe September?

This week I am planning to can some meat to help with freezer space, basically making ready to use jars of sloppy joe (2 serving size). The meat is thawing and the other ingredients are ready, I figure it will be a Friday afternoon/night slug fest, hope it turns out, it would be such a blessing if I could move 25 pounds of meat out of my deer freezer..... Clarification, this is a test batch; only about 4 pounds of meat, if it works the other 25 pounds will be done in small batches, I don't have the space (or energy) to do 25#s of meat at once.

Well, I ended up canning 5 pounds of Venison as ready to use sloppy joe filling... I mixed everything and then cold-packed it into pints and 1/2 pints, put them in the canner with water mid-way up the jar and canned them. I didn't have any detailed instructions so I just canned them all 75 minutes at 10 psi... They all came out bubbling and everyone sealed.... The next step is to eat one and see if I croak...

I am trying to get the wife to let me can her meatloaf... but so far she isn't going for it. But she is now talking about a number of soups and stock... ;) progress...

I was really happy because I found regular lids for the half-pints at $2.50 a box, at Wmart yesterday. I think we (I) will be canning a lot more of the pint jars in the future so I may need another flat or 2 of Wide mouth pints, the half pint jars wouldn't be a bad investment either....

Well, I ended up canning 5 pounds of Venison as ready to use sloppy joe filling... I mixed everything and then cold-packed it into pints and 1/2 pints, put them in the canner with water mid-way up the jar and canned them. I didn't have any detailed instructions so I just canned them all 75 minutes at 10 psi... They all came out bubbling and everyone sealed.... The next step is to eat one and see if I croak...

I am trying to get the wife to let me can her meatloaf... but so far she isn't going for it. But she is now talking about a number of soups and stock... ;) progress...

I was really happy because I found regular lids for the half-pints at $2.50 a box, at Wmart yesterday. I think we (I) will be canning a lot more of the pint jars in the future so I may need another flat or 2 of Wide mouth pints, the half pint jars wouldn't be a bad investment either....
I do quite a few pints now that it's just Hubby and me. The half pnt. are handy for things like broth or tomato sauce etc. that only require small amounts at times.
I finally got to can some tomatoes today 😊

What if you turned that meatloaf into meatballs? Think she'd go for that?
Now that she is realizing that I can do the whole canning thing I think she is becoming more agreeable to it (She is making meat loaf for the freezer today and I will get to can half of the mix, I am leaning towards 1/2 pints but a mix might be wiser). I think that she was telling me that she does not have enough energy to do the jars anymore.... (we used to tag team it, but things are changing as her health declines)

It's funny, after she saw how my sloppy joe mix turned out she had a couple of additions for the canning list this morning... she informed me that I am not to buy any more regular mouth jars... That's fine with me as long as we use the dozen flats that we already have. ;)

Now that she is realizing that I can do the whole canning thing I think she is becoming more agreeable to it (She is making meat loaf for the freezer today and I will get to can half of the mix, I am leaning towards 1/2 pints but a mix might be wiser). I think that she was telling me that she does not have enough energy to do the jars anymore.... (we used to tag team it, but things are changing as her health declines)

It's funny, after she saw how my sloppy joe mix turned out she had a couple of additions for the canning list this morning... she informed me that I am not to buy any more regular mouth jars... That's fine with me as long as we use the dozen flats that we already have. ;)
The regular mouth jars (I have had for a long time) are good for liquids or smaller produce like peas and corn, but I have also gone to wide mouth jars when given the option.

Last night at the wife gave me some of her meat loaf mix to can, I'm glad she is giving it a chance, but giving it to me at 5PM wasn't very nice, by the time I had the jars cleaned, did the packing and sealing, then doing the actual canning, letting it cool down to unload the canner it was 10PM... But we have pints of canned meat loaf on the counter... We will be trying one tonight for supper.......

Our list of canning for quick meals has gone from 4 thing up to a full page of stuff. I did an inventory of our empty jars (by size, and mouth type) and then tried to match that with the quick meals list - just enough to do trial (6 jar) runs on everything. Right now the plan is to get a shopping list together for each of the quick meals and then take off 2 days before Labor Day weekend and do them all at one time over a 5 day weekend... Now I know why they call it LABOR DAY!

We ate the meat loaf for dinner today, the taste was like what the wife usually makes but the texture was a little more delicate even after browning.... But it passed the "oh yes, I can eat this test".

As I discussed in the preparations thread, we are now planning for a major canning event for Labor day.. Funny, the wife said tonight, why haven't we been doing more of this....

i know people wgho reuse lcanning lids regularly. there is a trick to it.

take the used lids, put in pot of water with about 1T baking soda and simmer gently aobut 20-30 min til rubber ring pops back up.

a fried has been doing thisw for years with very few sealing problems. another friend canned up a batch of water using the re-done rings and let it set for a year with no sealing problems.
just a thought, i know its not acceptable to most. but worth expertimenting.

ive got tattlers for backup, but there is a trick to it. its good to watch a youtube. ive seen people complain they dont work or seal right but you got to know the right way to do them.

i alwasy thought canning lids one day will be worth gold, lol

ive got some more bacon to can up, im being lazy. i also need to can some italian sausage links sitting in the freezer waiting for me.

Latest posts

Back