What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am beat. 28 quarts leek, potatoes and bacon soup

DICED:
16 onions
28 sticks celery
72 leeks
Sautéed all of the above and put in jars

Cubed and blanched 28 potatoes; added to jars
Added chopped cooked bacon
Filled 16 qrts of veggie stock I made yesterday

Tomorrow I cry if I try it and it sucks. I have never pressure canned this before. It will get puréed when heating it up, and seasoning adjusted as needed.

I'm picking the last of leeks right now. Gonna try some soup with our taters from this year and see what we think. Sounds like a great reciepe.

7 quarts turkey stock 3 quarts ham stock made from yesterdays dinner

broth.jpg

I am beat. 28 quarts leek, potatoes and bacon soup

DICED:
16 onions
28 sticks celery
72 leeks
Sautéed all of the above and put in jars

Cubed and blanched 28 potatoes; added to jars
Added chopped cooked bacon
Filled 16 qrts of veggie stock I made yesterday

Tomorrow I cry if I try it and it sucks. I have never pressure canned this before. It will get puréed when heating it up, and seasoning adjusted as needed.
No dairy, are you going to add heavy cream when you reheat it or eat it like it is?

12- 1/2 pints of BBQ sauce
Got 12 pints of smoked pulled pork in the canner now.
Is this a new BBQ sauce recipe or one you've tried and like? If a tried and true, can you share the recipe please 😊 The ones I've found are either loaded with sugar or really blek! I haven't taken the time to "Play" with them to come up with my own.

Is this a new BBQ sauce recipe or one you've tried and like? If a tried and true, can you share the recipe please 😊 The ones I've found are either loaded with sugar or really blek! I haven't taken the time to "Play" with them to come up with my own.

We have tried quite a few but they are usually far to sweet and when we cut back the sugar its no good. We have used this one quite a few times. We don't use the full brown sugar. We don't care for sweet BBQ Sauce. Here's the recipe that we work from. We tend to season a bit to taste once it's cooked a bit also.

Makes 6 pints

4 Cups Ketchup
4 Cups Tomato Sauce
2 1/2 Cups Red Wine Vinegar
1 Cup Molasses
4 Tablespoons Butter
12 Teaspoons Liquid Smoke
1 3/4 Cups Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
1Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
2 Teaspoons Paprika
1/2 Teaspoon Celery Seed
1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Cayenne
2 Teaspoon Salt
2 Teaspoons Course Pepper
1 Teaspoon Chipotle Powder

Combine all wet ingredients then dry ingredients, cook till correct consistency

at my last grocery run i found some pork shoulder on sakle--so a friend helped me chop it up add some BBQ sauce and i canned up pints of pork BBQ. i also got some packages of bacon end cut pieces, i like to cook them down and can pints of bacon--that im doping later this week.

Technically not sure if it’s considered canning but got some duck “lard” rendering. Never tried duck “lard”. Didn’t want to throw out the scraps so figured it was worth a try. We do other fats normally after butchering so I figured why not try it. So far we got 2 pints jared up. Looks like maybe another pint or so by the time it’s done. Excited to try it.

Just a bit late here, but was searching for any posts on rendering fats, and your post came up. If I'm not mistaken, what you made with the duck fat is called 'schmaltz'. It can be made from most any poultry fat, especially duck & chicken.

In some circles, schmaltz is a Jewish thing and used as a spread, similar and/or in place of butter.

I'm not sure I would use it in that way, but after cutting up & deboning some chicken the other day, I had a big pile of fat & skin, that I didn't want to just throw out, like I usually do. I cooked it all up to get the 'oil' out and now have a pint & a half of that liquid gold. I'm just going to use it in place of regular oil when cooking, kinda like I'd do with bacon grease. Both are somewhat shelf stable without refrigeration 12 to 24 months, but would last longer in the fridge or freezer of course.

The best part of that venture??? Was the crispy bits of fat & skin, sprinkled with a bit of salt and is an addictive snack.

We pressure canned some beef in quart jars. The recipe didn't call for any extra water or broth. We packed them to about 1.5 inches from the top. I know there was some discussion on meats, but I was unable to find that again. Does this look right? I was under the impression the liquid should cover the meat.View attachment 75796

Was this done 'raw pack' method??? If so, did you pack the jar by pressing it all down to put more in?

Just thinking it usually does have more liquid in a jar after it's canned from the fats & water content in the meat,, though siphoning may have occurred too. As someone else mentioned, the uncovered meat will probably darken somewhat but if properly sealed is still safe to eat. So there's no real harm done and there is a process called 'dry canning' where the meat is pre-cooked, then canned without added moisture. I've done that with ground meats..

Dog food, all day! Should have 24 or so quarts total.

What is your recipe for dog food???

So far, I have used about 1/3 each of meat/proteins, carbs (rice, oatmeal or sweet potato or pumpkin), and fruits/veggies with a drizzle of corn or flax oil for omegas. But that is when I make it fresh, to last a couple of days at a time.

I have canned some before, but it was pretty much ground/mash that didn't stay sealed, probably too condensed. I want to try it again, only this time can in chunks with broth. I'll wait to add the oil when opened,..........yes/no? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

We have tried quite a few but they are usually far to sweet and when we cut back the sugar its no good. We have used this one quite a few times. We don't use the full brown sugar. We don't care for sweet BBQ Sauce. Here's the recipe that we work from. We tend to season a bit to taste once it's cooked a bit also.

Makes 6 pints

4 Cups Ketchup
4 Cups Tomato Sauce
2 1/2 Cups Red Wine Vinegar
1 Cup Molasses
4 Tablespoons Butter
12 Teaspoons Liquid Smoke
1 3/4 Cups Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
1Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
2 Teaspoons Paprika
1/2 Teaspoon Celery Seed
1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Cayenne
2 Teaspoon Salt
2 Teaspoons Course Pepper
1 Teaspoon Chipotle Powder

Combine all wet ingredients then dry ingredients, cook till correct consistency
I think this was right before I got sick so I missed it initially, but Thank You!

I cooked it all up to get the 'oil' out and now have a pint & a half of that liquid gold.
How do I do that? Just bought a 10# bag of chicken leg quarters. Usually extra skin and fat.
'dry canning'
i call that "dry packing" and then PC the burger. I thought dry canning was doing it in the oven. Not sure.

This is for @Bacpacker ! I doubled the recipe and got 11 half pints.
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/dd/27/3e/dd273eb379bf97dcac7f5b1d9716bbab.jpg

What is your recipe for dog food???

So far, I have used about 1/3 each of meat/proteins, carbs (rice, oatmeal or sweet potato or pumpkin), and fruits/veggies with a drizzle of corn or flax oil for omegas. But that is when I make it fresh, to last a couple of days at a time.

I have canned some before, but it was pretty much ground/mash that didn't stay sealed, probably too condensed. I want to try it again, only this time can in chunks with broth. I'll wait to add the oil when opened,..........yes/no? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

I loosely follow this recipe and make it in a roaster and crock pot to get that much. I PC it for meat times in quarts. I add browned and drained hamburger, sliced sweet potatoes and carrots (food processor), frozen broccoli, garbanzo beans, #10 can of kidney beans or black beans, a few cans of refried beans, brown rice and chicken broth.

How do I do that? Just bought a 10# bag of chicken leg quarters. Usually extra skin and fat.

i call that "dry packing" and then PC the burger. I thought dry canning was doing it in the oven. Not sure.

This is for @Bacpacker ! I doubled the recipe and got 11 half pints.
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/dd/27/3e/dd273eb379bf97dcac7f5b1d9716bbab.jpg

So you just canned the meat??? With or without the fat & skin???

Do you add any type of carbs or veggies? Before or after canning??

As for dry canning......now that you mention it, you may be right. IDK, I've never done oven canning. That process scares me........and that comes from someone that has water bathed veggies and even meats for years because I was taught to fear the pressure canner.......until I figured it out. But I do know of others that swear by the oven method, and that's fine if it works for them, but not something I would do

I loosely follow this recipe and make it in a roaster and crock pot to get that much. I PC it for meat times in quarts. I add browned and drained hamburger, sliced sweet potatoes and carrots (food processor), frozen broccoli, garbanzo beans, #10 can of kidney beans or black beans, a few cans of refried beans, brown rice and chicken broth.

Sorry about the other post ^^ that was done before I seen this one.

Beans for dogs???? And canned with rice?????

I think I might faint as I've always thought you weren't supposed to do that. But I'm intrigued and willing to try most anything as I don't always follow the rules either.

Sorry about the other post ^^ that was done before I seen this one.

Beans for dogs???? And canned with rice?????

I think I might faint as I've always thought you weren't supposed to do that. But I'm intrigued and willing to try most anything as I don't always follow the rules either.

I'm not much of a rule follower. LOL
Facebook page -S.N.U.G. is a good one. Stands for still not usda guidlines.

That process scares me..
I've oven canned brownies that were good a couple of months later. Didn't last any longer because they were all gone.
But I do know of others that swear by the oven method, and that's fine if it works for them, but not something I would do

I'm not much of a rule follower. LOL
Facebook page -S.N.U.G. is a good one. Stands for still not usda guidlines.

I've oven canned brownies that were good a couple of months later. Didn't last any longer because they were all gone.

I see no point in trying to can brownies. To me, canning something is to save it for later........with brownies that never happens

I've been on a few of those FB pages for breaking the canning laws before I got over my pc phobia and was only doing water bath canning.......and even there I caught h*ll for doing so. As if I was a domestic terrorist trying to kill everybody.

What nobody could ever get in their heads was the facts that my mother & aunt had wb'd everything, they taught me to do so, and everyone that ate at our tables for atleast 50+ years (that's alot of people eating alot of wb'd foods) that never once got sick EVER.

I did alot of research and found that the bad B word that does sicken or kill people is really a very rare occurrence and happens in a process. And it can be killed if that process is interrupted.

Basically, botulism SPORES are everywhere and we ingest them all the time whether they get on our foods or we inhale them and are not dangerous on their own..........but when in the right environment, such as in a canning jar WITHOUT oxygen, they become TOXINS that are deadly that are then killed in the PC at 240 degrees. WB only gets to 212 & not enough to kill it..........BUT once the jar is opened and the toxins are exposed to oxygen, then heated to boiling (212) it kills it. So boiling any canned foods for a few minutes before eating it makes it safe. And why so many people that do waterbath can are still alive today. Don't eat foods straight from the jar, but cook it first............and I will add here, just for argument sake, that there is always a risk that not all the botulism toxins are killed off when cooked, but the chance is like 1 in a billion that one would survive.

At one time, you could find this info doing an online search........but those police have buried it so far down the list it's almost impossible to find now.

Another thing to think about is that ONLY in the US is there a food policing agency that profits from all this jargon. Have you ever watched, heard or learned how people in other countries 'can' their foods?? That's a whole new ball game

On that Facebook page a lot of them waterbath everything.

Do they all process for the 'required' 3 hours??? I never did, nor did my mother or aunt. In fact none of us had ever heard of it. We processed veggies like green beans, carrots and a few others for like 45 minutes for pints & an hour for quarts. My aunt did corn for 90 minutes......but they never did can meat, beans or starchy veggies like potatoes or squash. I wanted to branch out and can those types of foods but could never find anything or anybody else that did, to learn the process.

Then I was gifted a pressure canner, and was determined to get over my fear and learn how to use it so I asked alot of questions, read tons of articles and watched umptine videos that didn't really help much with the fear until I seen one video saying to do a 'dry run'.......doing the process without any jars of food, basically an empty canner except the water in the bottom of the pot. Then I had a friend on the phone at the time trying to talk me thru the steps and it finally dawned on me, the missing link that I was looking for and could never find............the heat settings thru the process. Start on high until the weight jiggles, then start turning it down to keep the jiggle going AND that all stoves are different. So I then learned my stove holds 10/11lbs pressure on 8 (medium high), though it also depends on what I'm canning and can be turned down further if needed.

The heat settings may be a simple thing to know with anyone else, but when I water bathed it was always on high heat to keep that sucker at a full hard boil. You can't do that with a PC, and I knew that, but I didn't know what setting to use. Anyway, once I figured that out, everything else just fell into place. Talk about an epiphany, but I couldn't believe that not one of those articles, videos or other canners had ever mentioned about proper heat setting. Now I use the PC for everything, just because it saves alot of water.

Do they all process for the 'required' 3 hours??
Some of them do and some don't. "Your kitchen, your rules" is the motto.
Now I use the PC for everything, just because it saves alot of water.
I use my PC as a steam canner instead of water bathing anything. Have you done that?

I cooked it all up to get the 'oil' out and now have a pint & a half of that liquid gold
And I was serious earlier. How do you cook it up? Just boil it with some water? And how much? And for how long? And how do you separate it? I've never done this.

I am waiting for our gas stove issue to be resolved. Not happy with using electric stove to PC. That 30 pounds of chicken quarters is burning a hole in my pocket and I feel the need to get it done. I just need a 3 day weekend without husband finding things for me to do. Hopefully next weekend. Friday and Monday off.

I use my PC as a steam canner instead of water bathing anything. Have you done that?

And I was serious earlier. How do you cook it up? Just boil it with some water? And how much? And for how long? And how do you separate it? I've never done this.

Just fry it up on low to medium heat. Like frying bacon. Same thing.

Yes, like Clem said. I know others add water and boil it off, but I didn't. I just fried the fat & skin till it was brown & crispy.....leaving a pan full of 'oil'

No, I've never tried steam canning. Just seemed to me to be something else to learn to get the same results.......AKA I know my memory is going and don't want to overcrowd the brain with too much info that could get confused when I need it most.

at my last grocery run i found some pork shoulder on sakle--so a friend helped me chop it up add some BBQ sauce and i canned up pints of pork BBQ. i also got some packages of bacon end cut pieces, i like to cook them down and can pints of bacon--that im doping later this week.

You cook the bacon first, then can it???

I have canned bacon slices before that were raw when put in the jars, the fat cooks in the process, then surrounds the bacon when cooled. Most videos I had seen of canning bacon slices, they used parchment paper to lay the slices on, then roll it up and stuff in the jar.......to keep them as slices. I had just stuffed it all in the jars and processed.

Since canned bacon (in that ^^^ manner) doesn't crisp up when opened, I figured it would still be good as an ingredient to something else....but cooking the bacon first would crisp it, right????

Please share your process on this, I am really curious what it's like after opening......and how you do it of course.

You cook the bacon first, then can it???

I have canned bacon slices before that were raw when put in the jars, the fat cooks in the process, then surrounds the bacon when cooled. Most videos I had seen of canning bacon slices, they used parchment paper to lay the slices on, then roll it up and stuff in the jar.......to keep them as slices. I had just stuffed it all in the jars and processed.

Since canned bacon (in that ^^^ manner) doesn't crisp up when opened, I figured it would still be good as an ingredient to something else....but cooking the bacon first would crisp it, right????

Please share your process on this, I am really curious what it's like after opening......and how you do it of course.

hi justme, ive kinda done both ways but with the packages of bacon end pieces i chop them up and cook them down getting rid of extra water. then just can in pint jars. works good for adding some flavor to a recipe or using some to fry up something , comes in pretty handy but using the end pieces they wont be as 'meaty' as say real strips---which is more expensive but can be canned the same way. nice and easy.

you reminded me i have a couple jars of the bacon canned in parchment, i need to pull out and try one.

hi justme, ive kinda done both ways but with the packages of bacon end pieces i chop them up and cook them down getting rid of extra water. then just can in pint jars. works good for adding some flavor to a recipe or using some to fry up something , comes in pretty handy but using the end pieces they wont be as 'meaty' as say real strips---which is more expensive but can be canned the same way. nice and easy.

you reminded me i have a couple jars of the bacon canned in parchment, i need to pull out and try one.

So when you precook the bacon before canning it.......does it stay crispy after canning it???

Latest posts

Back