What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the answers about the chicken @ClemKadiddlehopper and @JustMe ! I will do that when I thaw the leg quarters.

I render all my fats in the crock pot. Add a bit of water to the bottom so nothing scorches before the fat starts melting and it will cook off.

Last canner on stove with chicken stock starting to pressure up. Other canner with quarts of chicken pressuring down. Trying some Tattler lid on some. Had a jar break out of first batch. Second batch has some jars of drinking water just for the purpose of filling canner and testing tattlers. I don’t want to can until gas is connected and we have propane.

@Terri9630 I found one of the Ball Sure Tight lid tighteners :woo hoo: @txcatlady Terri says she uses this with the tattlers and doesn't have a problem. I've used them, but am leery of certain things due to the whole tightening the lid issue. Am curious to try it out.

@Terri9630 I found one of the Ball Sure Tight lid tighteners :woo hoo: @txcatlady Terri says she uses this with the tattlers and doesn't have a problem. I've used them, but am leery of certain things due to the whole tightening the lid issue. Am curious to try it out.
So I should tighten them down firmly!? Now I feel stupid that I couldn’t get them to work. That could be the reason the regular lids didn’t want to seal right. After tightening regular lids tight I have trouble getting rings off. Stupid self left too loose. Thank you LL. I Was the problem. Love having friends that can talk me through a problem. You are the best

So I should tighten them down firmly!? Now I feel stupid that I couldn’t get them to work. That could be the reason the regular lids didn’t want to seal right. After tightening regular lids tight I have trouble getting rings off. Stupid self left too loose. Thank you LL. I Was the problem. Love having friends that can talk me through a problem. You are the best

If I remember right (and I probably don’t 😂) you snug them down once you’ve pulled them out of the canner. I’m sure others will know better. I haven’t used mine yet.

Regular lids/rings I don’t get very tight. Seems to have sealing issues if i do. The tattlers I’m pretty sure you tighten down once they are done canning.

I use the lid tightener and don't tighten after processing. Its worked well for me.

Got 5 pints of turkey and cornbread dressing- they all sealed.
4 pints of turkey and bread stuffing (pkg). None of them sealed.
Both packed the same. Won't be doing the stuffing again.

Today have 11 quarts of turkey broth in the canners. Then take a break for a day or two.

I have some Tattlers still on the shelf and never used. I figure when I finally bring them out I'll use them to WB but not PC. A couple of years ago someone posted a couple of articles about how to use them and I saved the links. The author described her learning process and it's very informative. Sorry, I don't remember who it was that originally posted the articles or what thread it was in.

Canning Applesauce with Tattler Reusable Lids (for the first time): Part 1

Canning Applesauce with Tattler Reusable Lids (for the first time): Part 2

I have some Tattlers still on the shelf and never used. I figure when I finally bring them out I'll use them to WB but not PC. A couple of years ago someone posted a couple of articles about how to use them and I saved the links. The author described her learning process and it's very informative. Sorry, I don't remember who it was that originally posted the articles or what thread it was in.

Canning Applesauce with Tattler Reusable Lids (for the first time): Part 1

Canning Applesauce with Tattler Reusable Lids (for the first time): Part 2
That's what we did this year (water bath). I have canned wit them, but am a little paranoid about it. Just found a lid tightener like Terri mentioned so am curious to use it.

I love dehydrated oranges and grapefruit. I squeeze out some of the juice to drink. leave on some of the pith because it is healthy. Crunchy little morsels.

thatsoubds really good, im going to try that, thanks!

ive been buying pork shoulder when on sale, chopping it up, cooking it down with some bbq sauce and canning pints. a pint jar will make 4 bbq sandwiches. when i take some out and heat it up i add a bit more bbq. had some for dinner tonight, pretty good. the way things are going meat is gonna be a luxury item i think.

I canned 8 quarts of kraut today. The had cabbage on sale for St. Patrick's Day.
Can I ask a question or 3?
Do you just can it when it's "ready" or is there something different in the timing?
Water bath or pressure can?
If PC, for how long?
Thank you 😊

You don't heat it all all. It ferments.

I put shredded cabbage into sterilized jars
Add 1 tlbs canning salt per quarter (I add a little Pickle Crisp but this is optional)
Fill to 1 inch from top with boiling water
Put on lid and ring, but loosely tighten ring so cabbage can "work". Juices will escape so store in a cool, dry, dark place and put old towels under jars so you don't get a mess.
I always let mine ferment for a month, but the rules say about 2 weeks.

I want to pickle some onions with garlic & cucumbers in June or July.
You don't heat it all all. It ferments.

I put shredded cabbage into sterilized jars
Add 1 tlbs canning salt per quarter (I add a little Pickle Crisp but this is optional)
Fill to 1 inch from top with boiling water
Put on lid and ring, but loosely tighten ring so cabbage can "work". Juices will escape so store in a cool, dry, dark place and put old towels under jars so you don't get a mess.
I always let mine ferment for a month, but the rules say about 2 weeks.
We are doing a zoom class on Kraut.

Latest posts

Back