What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't heat it all all. It ferments.

I put shredded cabbage into sterilized jars
Add 1 tlbs canning salt per quarter (I add a little Pickle Crisp but this is optional)
Fill to 1 inch from top with boiling water
Put on lid and ring, but loosely tighten ring so cabbage can "work". Juices will escape so store in a cool, dry, dark place and put old towels under jars so you don't get a mess.
I always let mine ferment for a month, but the rules say about 2 weeks.

That's how my mom always made kraut. And we always did/do dill pickles the fermented way, stuff the jars with ingredients, cover with brine, add the lid and into a cool, dark pantry. No processing

So I found some 'pork fat' at the store today with the plan to render it.....but wondering about ways of keeping it. Fridges & freezers are too full, but is it possible to just jar it up and stick in the pantry? Or do I need to process or can it???

Went to Ace Hardware yesterday and while talking to owner, I see canning jars called PurMason. Guess they are Mason jars. I bought some and some of the lids. We shall see.
My Ace had them too. Just the cases of jars, though. Boxes of lids only was still Ball. They didn't have many of those and only wide mouth.

Today I did potatoes in chicken broth. It was the herbed potatoes recipe from "The All New Ball Book of Canning." I left out the herbs--last time I did this recipe it was way too peppery and frankly the broth was enough flavor. They're really delish when air-fried. Ten pounds yielded 15 jars. One didn't seal. I used all new jars/lids/rings--just cracked open a new case. The one that didn't seal, I hadn't noticed that the side-wall of the lid was crushed a little.

I will jump in here on page 42..... My Sweetie is a very seasoned, master level pressure canner and we do a lot of that as ingredient opportunities present themselves...
--- ---
My brother bought my 2 dozen quart jars. Someone is wanting some kraut and salty brine pickles..
<<< >>>
We make Chow Chow for the family from the old family recipe Sweeties grandma made as a kid with her grandparents in Nova Scotia... The recipe coming over from Scotland in early 1890s or a bit earlier...

Family can have as much as they like, as long as they return jars and lids... The one contribution I made, that all seem to like is to grind everything with the Kitchen Aid mixer grinder attachment.. I found another Kitchen Aid mixer with attachments at a thrift store.. Grinding and having 2 grinders and mixers makes a lot less work of the process..

Pressure canned 6 pints of breakfast burrito mixture--sausage and eggs. Very good!

I preserved some eggs in salt, sugar and water and am honestly a little afraid to open them. They look ok, I just hate the smell of rotten eggs if they didn't work. LOL

Are you talking about whole eggs?

If so, I would take one outside and chuck it at a tree then see how close you can get to it before barfing.

Seriously though, are you trying for preserving fresh style eggs or something like a Chinese salted egg which turns the egg into a hard boiled texture?

They are soft boiled and peeled, then steam canned for 30 minutes in a water , salt, sugar brine. No vinegar- supposed to be preserved, not pickled. I'll be brave tomorrow. Lol

That is like the Chinese brined duck egg. How long have they been in the brine? I do much the same with duck eggs and they take 3-4 weeks for the center to be preserved completely. I put some anise in the brine for a hint of flavour. The Chinese like tea as well. I don't like tea even as tea. For Chinese style, the shells are left on and no canning is done.

Go ahead and be brave tomorrow. You need to try one every week to see how far the brine has penetrated and if they are too salty or not. Do not be surprised if the yolk gets rubbery over time. It's normal.

If you used a correctly proportioned water to salt / sugar ratio, those eggs will last six months or more. I had a five gallon bucket of duck eggs well over a year before they were used up. I did keep them cold.

Last edited:
Yes.

It goes into the jars hot so pre warm the jars to keep them from cracking. Screw the lid down same as for canning and let them sit until solid. They will self seal (ping )and are good for shelf storage for the long haul.
I hate to disagree, but you are mistaken. The sound is clearly a "poink" not a "ping." :LOL:
Isn't it funny what goes through our heads? Or wait, maybe it's just mine 😂
(I hope you know I am being entirely silly here.)

Since the preserved eggs did work, I will post the recipe I followed.

18 eggs will equal 3 pints finished.
Soft boil eggs, cool and peel.
Brine:
2 cups of water- I used tap water.
1/2 cup salt
1 cup sugar (must use the sugar to work--eggs were not sweet)
Bring brine to boil- fill jars--eggs first then brine.

Water bath 30 minutes. I steam canned same time since it uses so much less water and time.

They aren't pretty, but they are edible!

Pressure canned 6 pints of breakfast burrito mixture--sausage and eggs. Very good!

I preserved some eggs in salt, sugar and water and am honestly a little afraid to open them. They look ok, I just hate the smell of rotten eggs if they didn't work. LOL
I've heard of putting into lime water, but I've never tried it. Plan on trying beforenthe ladies slow down for the winter.

Got a lot of bones today with our beef share. Haven't done it yet, but I'm looking forward to trying my hand at making and canning beef stock! I've done chicken for years, but never beef.
You'll do fine with it! The next time I do beef stock, I'm going to make a big batch of enchilada sauce. Homemade is so much yummier of course and it uses beef stock.
@snappy1 That is really interesting about the eggs. I would never have thought of sugar with eggs, but the salt probably helps. It's just intriguing to me!
Do you have a picture?

As "broth" goes.... We keep a plastic bread bag in the kitchen refrigerator freezer... Every time we chop an onion, both ends the brown skin and any outer layers get frozen in the bag.. When the bag is full it goes to the big freezer... When we have enough bags, Sweetie cooks them down, strain to a clear liquid for a very intense broth.. This is pressure canned in pint jars..

I just happen to see this video pop up about canning boiled eggs (no brining, just eggs). Alaska Prepper did it as an experiment with raw and preboiled eggs with & without shells. He didn't care for the results, as they mostly had a 'burnt' taste, and a little different texture, but otherwise edible. I was fascinated of the experiment and wondered if maybe cutting down on the processing time would make a difference? Or maybe doing water bath??

I am curious about trying it, maybe like @snappy1 did the brined eggs, but without the brine?

OK, being tech challenged I can't figure out how to get videos to play here, so please forgive

Latest posts

Back