What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I'd be leery about water bath canning eggs without brine. But otherwise it would be an interesting experiment to do with extra eggs.

You'll do fine with it! The next time I do beef stock, I'm going to make a big batch of enchilada sauce. Homemade is so much yummier of course and it uses beef stock.
@snappy1 That is really interesting about the eggs. I would never have thought of sugar with eggs, but the salt probably helps. It's just intriguing to me!
Do you have a picture?
20220601_105900.jpg

So how do they taste??? What about texture?? Are they rubbery?

As to your previous comment of them smelling if the canning didn't work...........they would only smell if the jars didn't seal. Along time ago I tried waterbathing mushrooms for the first time. My first attempt I had forgotten (didn't think about) shrinkage, so my full jars came out of the canner with a few floaties but all jars sealed fine. So I tried again, and boiled them first so shrinkage would happen before canning, not after. I had thought they all sealed & put them in the pantry. About a week later I started smelling 'something' but couldn't figure out what it was. Every day the smell got worse and I could smell it long before I got to the pantry. Finally realized about half the jars had a false seal and were the culprit of the most gawd awful smell you could ever imagine. Let me tell you, rotten eggs have nothing on rotten fungus. I swore I'd never can mushrooms again.......well, not until I got a pc anyway AND learned how to tell if the jars are fully sealed.

Last night I defrosted 5 kgs of ground kangroo meat and today I'll be canning it into half pints.

I'm going to try to empty at least one of my chest freezers.
Power prices are going up and they are saying there are going to be rolling blackouts.
I have the jars and electricity is still on....I just paid my bill so I'll start canning everything now rather than panic
and use up my precious butane when there's a power cut.

Last night I defrosted 5 kgs of ground kangroo meat and today I'll be canning it into half pints.
--- ---
CRYKEY Mate... That sounds just ripper....

Will you do loose ground meat, or raw pack cubed ??

I've talked to people saying for wild meat it is very good.. Some saying wild camel is better..
They are always curious when I talk about bear or moose meat..

Details and pictures of your results would be interesting.... Please...
Cheers...

Ive been focusing on canning some meals. So far I’ve canned beef stew, chicken tacos, and bbq chicken. I’ll wait a few weeks and then try them before canning anymore. I’m going to can beef taco meat tomorrow.

My daughter and I canned some salsa last weekend but the other kids each took a jar home and we traded some for strawberry preserves a friend made so it’s half gone already.

My daughter and I canned some salsa last weekend but the other kids each took a jar home
--- ---
We make Sweeties family recipe Chow - Chow for the family... Greet apple, green tomato, onion and such.. The recipe being brought to Halifax Nova Scotia from Scotland in 1880s or so...

Family can have as much as they want.. As long as we get the jars back.... Needless to say, we make a lot, depending on ingredient availability.... It is a fun project...

--- ---

I've talked to people saying for wild meat it is very good.. Some saying wild camel is better..

Cheers...

It's ground and kanagroo tastes exactly like venison. It was a raw cold pack. IT turned out well.

My 9 litre propane tank ran out of gas as I boiled the kettle for tea.

I dragged out my twin electric hotplate and filled the canner with the lamb and beef half pints.
It didn't work.
The hotplates didn't have enough juice to get the pressure canner hot enough to where it got a solid stream of steam.
It's enough to boil the kettle but not the canner.
So, I had to shut it down and let it cool enough to shift and drag out my second precious bottle of propane out of the store room.
Start from scratch and I finished up 8.30pm last night and let it depressurise and cool down on it's own overnight.
This morning the half pints look good and don't look too bad for having been double canned.

--- ---

Cheers...
Bear is Hubby's favorite. Folks never believe him. (I like venison)
Ive been focusing on canning some meals. So far I’ve canned beef stew, chicken tacos, and bbq chicken. I’ll wait a few weeks and then try them before canning anymore. I’m going to can beef taco meat tomorrow.

My daughter and I canned some salsa last weekend but the other kids each took a jar home and we traded some for strawberry preserves a friend made so it’s half gone already.
I never thought of BBQ! 🤤 I need to look into that. Also along the lines of your chicken tacos, I've canned taco soup and what a blessing when we need a quick hearty meal. I need to do some stew but know when I pull the canners out, they don't go away until fall. Trying not to rush in. Want to look for apricots at farmers market tomorrow but it's still on the early side here.

Working on ground bison now. I need to get stuff out of the freezer and canned, and bison is probably my (and my family's) favorite canned meat - really can't go wrong with the stuff.

Later I'll be working on chicken stock.
Bison is something on my list to try.

There is bison within waking distance from my place.

I have plans if an EMP hits to take walk with bolt cutters to set them free. They would be fish in a barrel for the unprepared. Set free they have a chance to survive an or thrive.

Ben

Bison is something on my list to try.

There is bison within waking distance from my place.

I have plans if an EMP hits to take walk with bolt cutters to set them free. They would be fish in a barrel for the unprepared. Set free they have a chance to survive an or thrive.

Ben

I've had bison a few times. Very lean and very tasty

Bison is similar to beef, but better (in my opinion) - like Bacpacker said, lean and tasty. And it crumbles so nicely when you brown it. If we could afford it, I'd have a side of bison in my freezer instead of a side of beef.
I can it in tomato sauce (just enough to be a sufficient amount of liquid for canning). That way I can use it for spaghetti sauce, lasagna, bison soup - or just as is, served over egg noodles.

Canned 8 pints of peas. Dad got 4 1/2 pounds at a farmers market on Thursday. He spent all day Friday showing them. And I got to count on this morning. Last week he also bought 4 1/2 pounds of them. Those are in the freezer and back bagCanned 8 pints of peas. Dad got 4 1/2 pounds at a farmers market on Thursday. He spent all day Friday showing them. And I got to count them this morning. Last week he also bought 4 1/2 pounds of them. Those are in the freezer in vac bags. I’m really hoping they’re not mushy

Bison.....
I have had it a few times... Had it from the meat counter and home cooked a couple times.. Was good, but expensive..

When I had my old place near Lake Superior, way too close for my own good was a Jack Links jerky factory... They did a lot of bison processing there.. There was a little outlet kind of store, grocery, convivence store and the like close there that routinely had 4 kilo bags of crumbs, machine cleanings, and maybe even floor sweepings from the jerky plant... Didn't matter as it was cheap and ever so good.. Even if you had to eat the small bits with a spoon... There was bison available in the grocery stores around the area, but again, quite expensive...

my neighbor went to town for groceries and picked me up 2 small pork roasts on sale for just $2 a lb! these days thats good.
so he chopped them up for me and i canned pint jars adding some BBQ saucce. it comes out perfect, one pint will make 4 BBQ sandwiches.

Latest posts

Back