What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well.i got the chicken onto the stove. Then remembered that i don't have enough canning labels,if i get over 14 pints of chicken soup.so i went to the only 3 places in town,that carries canning supplies. Not anyone of them hasi'll.oh well.i have some Avery labels and some other types of labels.so i'll pick out the ones i want to use.

Well.i got the chicken onto the stove. Then remembered that i don't have enough canning labels,if i get over 14 pints of chicken soup.so i went to the only 3 places in town,that carries canning supplies. Not anyone of them hasi'll.oh well.i have some Avery labels and some other types of labels.so i'll pick out the ones i want to use.

I just use a sharpie and write on the jars or lids. It washes off with a bit of soap and a sponge.

I have been getting an over abundance of patty squash and wanted something fun to do with it. I just get tired of doing the samosamo so to speak. So this is orange marmalade made out of grated squash, pectin, sugar, crushed pineapple, a little ginger and orange jello.
IMG_20180609_131404.jpg

I just use a sharpie. Doesn’t matter to me if it comes off or not. I never use seals twice. I’m hoping to get enough tomatoes and jalapeños for salsa. My fruit trees are are too young to bear yet except my pear trees and they are loaded. I may can squash, too. My egg plants are blooming. I’m not sure how to preserve them though. Maybe freeze them.

I h
I just use a sharpie. Doesn’t matter to me if it comes off or not. I never use seals twice. I’m hoping to get enough tomatoes and jalapeños for salsa. My fruit trees are are too young to bear yet except my pear trees and they are loaded. I may can squash, too. My egg plants are blooming. I’m not sure how to preserve them though. Maybe freeze them.
I will cook and blend to throw in sauces to can up. Pretty good in Italian type sauces with tomatoes. I've also marinated for the fridge in 2 parts olive oil to 1 part apple cider vinegar layered with different herbs, mainly garlic, basil & thyme. I've pickle d before, but I was not a big fan. Canning Granny hotspot has a few recipes. Dehydrating is also another option.

For my Tatter lids I plan to cut disks from card stock to write on. If they are in good shape I can turn them over the next time and get one or two uses per disk. Perhaps an Acco label could extend even that.

For my Tatter lids I plan to cut disks from card stock to write on. If they are in good shape I can turn them over the next time and get one or two uses per disk. Perhaps an Acco label could extend even that.

Unless the jar contents are really dark you can use a Sharpe directly on the jar. I've used the Sharpe on the tattlers and it mostly comes off but not completely. I also keep a loose ring on the tattler lids since I had a mouse chew one open.

I just hate buying labels.

Forgive my ignorance, and but what is a Tattler lid?
Tattler is a brand of lid like Ball or Kerr. The big difference is that Tattler lids are plastic and are reusable. The gasket is a separate piece and is also reusable unless you damage it in opening the jar. I have Tattler lids that I have used for close to thirty years.

Tattler is a brand of lid like Ball or Kerr. The big difference is that Tattler lids are plastic and are reusable. The gasket is a separate piece and is also reusable unless you damage it in opening the jar. I have Tattler lids that I have used for close to thirty years.

Can one use the tattler lid with a regular Ball type ring? Or needs it's own type?

Can one use the tattler lid with a regular Ball type ring? Or needs it's own type?

They work with the regular rings that come with the jars. I only use them for pressure canning, I've had a few that were water bathed that didn't seal. I also leave the ring on, very loosely to protect the edges from mice. I've had one chewed open but the mice hit the peanut butter and cocoa powder too so I don't think its a "tattler" thing.

The use of Tattler lids is slightly different in that you leave the rings ever so slightly loose while pressure canning and snug them down when you take them out of the canner. The lids still become concave when they cool but it takes a bit more attention to notice the difference and you don't get the pinging. Gently wedge a table knife (dull) between the jar and the seal to open.

https://reusablecanninglids.com/about

I was quite nervous the first few times that I used them but I'm fully convinced today.

Thanks Terri, I only do pressure canning while the wife only does hot water bath canning.

Still have beans we need to can. If stuff stops tearing up and chickens stay safe. Plus we are old so sometimes have hubbys pain to deal with.
I worry about what will happen if one of us gets down so far from civilization. There is a fire department 20 miles from us.

Today was tomato sauce, chunks of cantaloup, pumpkin pie filling and then mad e a mock apple pie filling out of cucumbers to can.

I would love a link to your recipe for mock apple pie filling from cukes! What a great way to use excess!
Here is the corn I canned Monday.
0625181859.jpg

I ran across a recipe for canning okra to fry later and also one of yellow squash. Has any of you guys tried this one? It looked interesting and I thought I would give it a go.

I ran across a recipe for canning okra to fry later and also one of yellow squash. Has any of you guys tried this one? It looked interesting and I thought I would give it a go.
yes i ran across it last year. i tried it and will be canning it up when ours gets ready this year. we like it.

got 2 quarts of jalepeno pepper sauce done, and got a gallon of banana peppers ready to make pepper rings for salads and sandwiches. then hubby wants me to make him some hamburger/hot dog relish. so i guess i'll be busy for awhile. but i really love doing this canning. makes me feel good that we know what goes in it.

Made 7 jars of strawberry jam in the bread maker both yesterday and today. We use recycled jars and lids with pop top button on them and the heat once you pour in the jam pull the pop top lid down overnight and seals it, all done and couldn't be easier :) . We won't mention that 1 large 500 ml jar broke off neatly at the bottom after we put the jam in but we managed to salvage 3/4's of it. Obviously the low temps and high temps on jam are not conducive to glass jars so we have taken to warming them up in hot water from the tap in a bowl then into the container where we put boiling water in the bottom and inside them which seems to work perfectly.

So much rain . . . My squash are coming in slowly, so the canning for frying later has been the option I am going. Have done yellow squash, patty squash, and zuchinni. I looked up the ph levels on everything just to make sure they were in the same range, then spotted eggplant was too so gave it a try. I haven't opened a jar to try yet but after doing it looks like the eggplant will be too mushy. Wonder if I try cooking for a shorter period of time instead of the 8 minutes?

Back