What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i don't really like the taste of canned potatoes. so i was watching a youtube video on canning them. tis lady added garlic and some seasoning to hers. she didn't like the taste either. but the last ones i canned i added the garlic to. we opened a jar tonight and i really like these, so i will definitely be doing some more.

i went over to the ps site last night to go back to 'what's everybody canning' . i got started reading and it is amazing all the knowledge that was put in there. i also found a few recipes i had forgotten about. i am on page 88 of 207. very interesting.

i don't really like the taste of canned potatoes. so i was watching a youtube video on canning them. tis lady added garlic and some seasoning to hers. she didn't like the taste either. but the last ones i canned i added the garlic to. we opened a jar tonight and i really like these, so i will definitely be doing some more.

I threw away a lot of canned potatoes because of flavor, we did use some in soups but still not good.
We canned 50lb.s and was very disappointed.
So we will try the garlic next time if we try again.

I picked two big buckets of tomatoes today, so it's salsa canning tomorrow. Only had a few peppers, so went to the store and bought some habaneros and jalapenos. Going to make this batch with extra hot peppers, apple cider vinegar, and lime juice.
Supposed to pick peaches tomorrow morning. One of our customers told me to clear a full tree while they're out of town. They have three trees loaded. So it's canning peaches tomorrow, too. Trying to get youngest daughter, and son's girlfriend to help, so we'll see.

several months ago my sil brought me about 200 pounds of boneless chicken thighs that he got for free. my daughter got about that much also. anyway it's time for it to come out of the freezers,so i think i will grind some up into burger. then when the weather gets a little cooler,actually cold enough to warrant running a heater, we are going to can some up for meals in a jar.things like jambalaya,curry,morracan chicken,and some soup. i don't know how much we have left but it;s quite a bit. besides it will soon be time for some wild game and fish.:D:woo hoo:nice problem to have. i may not wait that long , maybe do a small batch here and there. but no marathons.

several months ago my sil brought me about 200 pounds of boneless chicken thighs that he got for free. my daughter got about that much also. anyway it's time for it to come out of the freezers,so i think i will grind some up into burger. then when the weather gets a little cooler,actually cold enough to warrant running a heater, we are going to can some up for meals in a jar.things like jambalaya,curry,morracan chicken,and some soup. i don't know how much we have left but it;s quite a bit. besides it will soon be time for some wild game and fish.:D:woo hoo:nice problem to have. i may not wait that long , maybe do a small batch here and there. but no marathons.

My goodness that is a lot of chicken. Most we ever canned was 65 lb.s a few years ago. What a job. But we also canned the bones for our dogs so that made it harder. Bones come out so nice and soft after 90 minutes.

SWEET ONION JAM
1 stick of butter
20 cuos diced onion
1-1/2 teaspoons canning salt
2-1/4 cups[16.9 ounce]balsalmic vinegar
3-1/2 cups brown sugar

carmelize onions and butter.[i doubled the recipe and put it in my big roasting pan on low all night] then add balsalmic vinegar,salt,and brown sugar. taste to adjust. bring to a boil ,reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour. waterbath for 10 minutes.
the recipe i found said to put it on meatloaf, but i'm going to try it on some pork and wild game.
i should have put that i found this recipe on linda's pantry on youtube.

Last edited:
we have 2 large crockpots going with carmelized onions. will can them on the morning. coming down off pressure is 2 quarts okra and tomatoes and 7 pints if onions.

We soaked the beans last night to can today and guess what no lids! :( So thank goodness the Dollar General has them. Lids and rings.
Can't believe I ran out of little lids and large rings both a same time.
So we will be canning limas and pintos.

I am not one who really likes the taste of canned potatoes either, but there is one way I prepare them that I do really like. Last night when I opened a jar, drain them in a colander. I put a couple tablespoons melted bacon grease in a cold skillet along with potatoes & chopped onions then kinda coat them in the grease before turning on to medium high. Let cook and occasionally stir. Add in chopped garlic when getting closer to being done. You just want them nicely fried on all sides. I drain on paper towel then season with S&P, thyme or parsely, then grated parmesan. By cooking the potatoes this way takes away that "off" taste when you can and can hardly know that they are not fresh.

we got 1 and 1/2 5 gallon buckets of pears, and 4 cases of the red taters. that' s all we are going to get done today.tomorrow we hope to get the rest of the peppers picked and hubby said more maters and okra. i also hope to get some of the rosemary before the rain comes back in. we have been gathering all of this in between showers for the last week or so.

Latest posts

Back