What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my next check is going to buy a weston tomato seeder ,skinner, juicer and a big mouth food processor.
I bought a sauce maker a few years ago. . . . It sure does come in handy when I was making pear & pumpkin butters. Just cook and run thru. You will love it! Mine is the hand cranked so it could be used when off grid. You just never know how life will go one day besides it doesn't take much effort at all.

Pickles! 16 quarts of dill spears, dill chips and bread and butter chips. And we have more coming from the one cucumber plant.

There are a few things that you can use to keep them crisp. First - Don't cook them! Use a cold pack method. In the bottom of each jar you can place a couple of grape leaves. They have a compound in them that helps. A 1/4 teaspoon of Alum in each quart is sometimes used. You can get similar results using a vegetable crisper (sold with pickling supplies) which is just calcium chloride (a salt substitute). A neighbor just down the road donates grape leaves for us.

i had an uh-oh moment today. i got my taters ready to can and realized i didn't have anymore quart jars. i do have some at our other place.so since i'm going that way tomorrow i'll stop and get some . in the meantime i just canned them in pint jars as i do have plenty of them.

I thought lime was poisonous?
I use food grade lime for my pickles and it works well. You just have to rinse thoroughly with several waters. Also if you are using table salt, that will make pickles and other produce ruin. Use only pickling salt.

Timmie, HEB is a grocery store with a lot of organic stuff . It also owns Central Market health food grocery stores.

we got 7 quarts of taters going now and a pot full of rotel tomatoes. as soon as we get cleaned up from that gonna start on pears.

4 pints of rotel tomatoes and 3-1/2 quarts pear halves for pear and cheese salad,and 7 pints of pear pie filling.

Last edited:
I bought a sauce maker a few years ago. . . . It sure does come in handy when I was making pear & pumpkin butters. Just cook and run thru. You will love it! Mine is the hand cranked so it could be used when off grid. You just never know how life will go one day besides it doesn't take much effort at all.[/
you are right dani,i didn't see that one before as i just had time to do a quick search. i think the hand crank is what i'm going to get.

11 quarts taters, 4 pints collards [out of freezer] , 1 quart pear halves and 8 pints pear pie filling. sounds like a lot of pie filling, but hubby and children like fried tarts during november and december.

2 1/2 pints collards and 5 quarts taters in the canner, with 7 more quarts waiting. then we get dehydrators filled up. and i will still have taters. i think however this is the last ones we are going to can this year.

Latest posts

Back