What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time this week for Fire Cider and Pickled Eggs. It's fermenting not canning but I did use canning jars. Lol.

Attachments

• 20200528_135519.jpg
    20200528_135519.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • 20200526_162811.jpg
    20200526_162811.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
I have been doing a lot of canning lately. Mainly yellow squash, patty squash and zucchini, both regular pc and for frying later. Today I did 16 pints of pumpkin puree along with 16 pints more of pc patty squash. I can't tell you how many of everything. . . I know I have case after case on my stockroom floor that still needs to get rotated on my shelves. I am running out of print sized jars inside so will need to start bringing in my back up supply from the gardening shed. Tomatoes are just now starting to turn red. My cherry tomatoes are more like the size of golf balls this year. I've never seen them get that size before on a regular basis. That is good though. I am in need of canned tomato items. I wasn't able to do much last year taking care of granny. Playing catch up this year though. :)

Dani, how long do you pc zucchini and yellow squash?
I scrape out the seeds and slice in about 1/2 in. and depending on size will cut the slices to chunks no bigger than an in. I do raw pack. Process pints at @11 lbs for 30 minutes and quarts for 40. I think the canning gods stopped stopped recommending canning these in the late 80s. I also have a later edition of Stocking Up that says 25 for pints a
IMG_20200531_064655.jpg
nd 30 for quarts. sOrry it's upside down. This book has been around for many years surviving 2 little boys and a puppy that used to take books off shelves to chew.

I scrape out the seeds and slice in about 1/2 in. and depending on size will cut the slices to chunks no bigger than an in. I do raw pack. Process pints at @11 lbs for 30 minutes and quarts for 40. I think the canning gods stopped stopped recommending canning these in the late 80s. I also have a later edition of Stocking Up that says 25 for pints aView attachment 43399nd 30 for quarts. sOrry it's upside down. This book has been around for many years surviving 2 little boys and a puppy that used to take books off shelves to chew.

Thanks so much! I know it is not recommended now but I don't have a chest freezer and it won't go to waste in my house!

I ended up running across a Ratatouille recipe for canning yesterday that I did this morning.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/ratatouille-recipe-with-canning-instructions-1327484Ratatouille Recipe With Canning Instructions

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (divided)
  • 1 pound eggplant (stems removed and cut into 1-inch chunks)
  • 1 pound zucchini (or other summer squash, stems removed and cut into 1-inch chunks)
  • 3 medium onions (peeled and thickly sliced)
  • 3 large tomatoes
  • 2 large red bell peppers (or sweet roasting peppers, cut into 1-inch squares)
  • 4 garlic cloves (minced)
  • 1/4 cup basil leaves (fresh, torn into pieces)
  • 1 teaspoon thyme leaves (fresh)
  • Salt (to taste)
  • Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)

• Steps to Make It
    1. Gather the ingredients.
    2. Preheat the broiler of your oven.
    3. In a large bowl, toss together the eggplant, zucchini, onion, and sweet peppers with 1/4 cup of the extra-virgin olive oil.
    4. Line a baking sheet (or two) with parchment paper. Spread the vegetables on the baking sheet(s) in a single layer (it is okay if the veggies overlap a bit, but they shouldn't be piled too deep). Nestle the whole tomatoes in among the other vegetables.
    5. Broil the vegetables for 5 to 10 minutes until they are starting to show some browned spots but are not burnt.
    6. Remove the baking sheet(s) from the broiler. Lift the whole tomatoes out with a large spoon and set them aside to cool slightly.
    7. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the minced garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
    8. Add the thyme and the broiled vegetables (except for the tomatoes) to the other ingredients in the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
    9. While the other vegetables are cooking, remove the stems, most of the seed gel, and as much of the skins as peel off easily from the tomatoes. Coarsely chop the remaining pulp and stir the tomato into the other ingredients.
    10. Remove the pot from the heat and mix in the shredded basil along with salt and pepper to taste. Eat immediately or can.
Canning Instructions
  1. Pressure can only (it is not safe to can ratatouille in a boiling water bath).
  2. Fill clean, hot pint canning jars with the hot ratatouille. Leave 1 and 1/2 inches head space between the top of the food and the rims of the jars. Wipe the rims of the jars clean with a moist paper or kitchen towel. Screw on the canning lids.
  3. Pressure can pint jars of ratatouille at 10 pounds pressure for 30 minutes. Adjust the pressure if you are canning at a high altitude.

These are a few other zucchini recipes that are on my to do list. . . . I am getting about a dozen a day and tired of just doing the basic ways.

Zucchini Butter

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 5 garlic cloves, gently smashed
  • 2 large zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 2 pounds)
  • 5-6 springs of thyme (rosemary is also good here)
  • 1/2 teaspoon finely milled sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Instructions

1. Place a large skillet over medium heat. Place the olive oil and butter and allow them to melt together. Roughly chop the smashed garlic and add it to the pan. Add the zucchini cubes.
  2. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until the zucchini has begun to soften. Strip the thyme leaves off their stems and add them to the pan.
  3. Reduce the heat and continue to cook, stirring often. The goal is to cook the liquid out of the zucchini and melt it into a flavorful, spreadable paste. If at any point, the zucchini starts to brown and stick, add a splash of liquid (water is fine, though if you have an open bottle, a little white wine is also delicious) and reduce the heat a bit more.
  4. Total cooking time should be right around an hour.
  5. Once cooked, divide the spread between two half pint jars. It will keep up to 2 weeks in the fridge or a year in the freezer.
ZUCCHINI SPREAD (Kabachkovaya Ikra)
  • Servings: recipe makes 48 oz of spread
By: VerasCooking.com[block]11[/block]

Ingredients:

• 2-3 fresh zucchinis
  • 2-3 large carrots
  • 2 large onions
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 2 fresh garlic heads
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon oil for cooking
  • 1 tablespoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black ground pepper
  • 3 teaspoons vinegar
Instructions:

1. Peel zucchinis, carrots and onions.
  2. Cut in medium pieces (try making all pieces of the same size).
  3. In a hot Dutch Oven with some oil, over high/medium heat, cook onions, until start caramelizing, about 3 minutes.
  4. Add carrots, cook for additional 3 minutes.
  5. Then add zucchinis, and cook uncovered until vegetables are tender, for additional 5 minutes. Do not season with salt at this point, so the vegetable do not let their juices out.
  6. Blend the vegetables in the blender until smooth (you might have to do several batches if you have a smaller blender).
  7. Transfer blended veggies back in the Dutch Oven.
  8. Season with salt and pepper.
  9. Add tomato sauce, bay leaves, pressed garlic, stir, cover and cook for 1 hour over medium/ low heat.
  10. You can try it at any point to see if you need more salt. It tastes so good!
  11. While vegetables are cooking, prepare your jars. Wash them in a hot soapy water, and put them to dry in a preheated oven. (I usually preheat it to 350 degrees F, turn it off, and then sterilize the jars).
  12. At the very end add vinegar, if you want to preserve Zucchini Spread for winter months. You don’t have to add it if you’re planning to eat it right away. It should be fine for at least a week if stored in the refrigerator.
  13. Remove bay leaves. Ladle Zucchini Spread into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace, wipe rims, and seal.
Canning Zucchini Spread

Canned Zucchini Spread (Ikra) Recipe\
Author: Anna @ Northern Homestead

Serves: 7 quarts

Ingredients

• 500 g (5 cups loosely filled) chopped onions
  • 1000 g (8⅓ cup) chopped carrots
  • 1000 g (6⅔ cup) chopped zucchini
  • 2 celery sticks chopped
  • 300 g (2½ cup) chopped bell peppers
  • 2 chopped jalapeno peppers
  • 900 g (5 cups loosely filled) chopped tomatoes
  • 2 big garlic cloves
  • Cilantro, Parsley, Dill
  • 3 tablespoon salt (I used 1)
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar (I substitute with white vinegar)
  • Oil to fry optional
Instructions

1. In a big saucepan saute (water saute or use a tablespoon of oil) the onions, carrots, garlic, celery and zucchini adding one after another.
  2. Add peppers, tomatoes and vinegar, simmer for 10 minutes. Cook up to an hour if you choose not to use a pressure canner.
  3. Add herbs and spices and cook for a few more minutes.
  4. Fill jars, wipe rims, apply lids, and screw on bands.
  5. Process at 11 pounds pressure, pints for 20 minutes, and quarts 25 minutes. Adjust for processing above 2,000 feet altitude.
Canned Zucchini Salad
Canned Zucchini Salad
Author: Anna @ Northern Homestead

Serves: 10 cups

Ingredients

• 1 kg (6 cups) diced zucchini
  • 1.5 kg (7½ cups) tomato
  • 4 big bell peppers
  • 4-5 garlic cloves
  • ½ cup sugar (Or ¼ cup honey)
  • 1 tablespoon salt (1 teaspoon is enough)
  • 1 tablespoon oil (optional)
  • 1 cup 5% vinegar (See note)
Instructions

1. Wash and slice tomatoes and peppers
  2. Dice zucchini into ½-1 inch cubes.
  3. Cook tomatoes with sugar (or honey) and salt - cook for 10 minutes
  4. Add zucchini, peppers, and oil (if used) - cook for 10 minutes
  5. Add minced garlic, herbs if desired, and vinegar - cook for another 10 minutes.
  6. Ladle into sterilized jars
  7. Wipe rims, apply lids, and screw on bands
  8. Process in water canner for 20 minutes
Note: This is a traditional recipe with homegrown, sun-ripened ingredients, use and enjoy at your own risk. The original recipe is asking for 1 tablespoon 9% vinegar, I adjusted it to 1 cup 5%. It is up to you how much you use.

Got 6 quarts of zucchini, yellow squash, onion, tomatoes, jalapenos. Stewed them down--no oil and added some okra. PC'd it for 55 minutes which was longer than the recipes I had seen, but want to be safe. Also, did 2 pints of yellow squash and 13 pints of sliced carrots.

Then went out to garden and have more zucchini, yellow squash, etc.

Yesterday I did the zucchini salad and today I have a canner of the second zucchini spread recipe. And just to have a full canned going, I will throw in some point size jars of zucchini or patty squash. I still have 13 zucchini, 22 patty squash, and only 7 yellow squash left to go. I did substitute butternut squash in place for carrots in the spread recipe to add in the sweetness flavor. It is just way too hot to grow carrots right now.

Yesterday I did the zucchini salad and today I have a canner of the second zucchini spread recipe. And just to have a full canned going, I will throw in some point size jars of zucchini or patty squash. I still have 13 zucchini, 22 patty squash, and only 7 yellow squash left to go. I did substitute butternut squash in place for carrots in the spread recipe to add in the sweetness flavor. It is just way too hot to grow carrots right now.

The spicy squash medley I canned yesterday tastes great!

Got 6 quarts of medley
13 pints of sliced carrots
2 pints of sliced yellow squash

@Dani Last year, we had a ton of cherry toms. I canned them whole like I would diced and hubby loves them in Swiss steak and chili! I don't have anything to can yet this year.
That's how I have done my cherry tomatoes in the past too. Sometimes it's just gotta be one of those kind of days. Probably will do that again this year. Just wait, you're canning days are coming.;)

The spicy squash medley I canned yesterday tastes great!

Got 6 quarts of medley
13 pints of sliced carrots
2 pints of sliced yellow squash
I may end up doing some of your medley to use all this squash I have been getting. But since we have been so wet lately I have a feeling I will lose the majority of my squash plants even though I planted them in a raised bed 8 inches. Oh well. . . It's either feast or famin for fresh produce. I still have plenty out there to keep me busy. Our corn looks like it will be a bumper crop this year. . . Just not holding my breath. We still have a few more weeks to go.

I may end up doing some of your medley to use all this squash I have been getting. But since we have been so wet lately I have a feeling I will lose the majority of my squash plants even though I planted them in a raised bed 8 inches. Oh well. . . It's either feast or famin for fresh produce. I still have plenty out there to keep me busy. Our corn looks like it will be a bumper crop this year. . . Just not holding my breath. We still have a few more weeks to go.

Neighbor gave me 2 big bags of apples and 2 more bags of carrots. Will probably make apple butter, but I already have lots of canned plain and candied carrots. Any ideas for other types of carrots?

https://canninggranny.blogspot.com
Neighbor gave me 2 big bags of apples and 2 more bags of carrots. Will probably make apple butter, but I already have lots of canned plain and candied carrots. Any ideas for other types of carrots?
Canning Granny has several different recipes. Scroll down on the right is a list in alphabetic order.

Slaws, jams, marmalade, soups. Lots to chose from.

https://canninggranny.blogspot.com

Canning Granny has several different recipes. Scroll down on the right is a list in alphabetic order.

Slaws, jams, marmalade, soups. Lots to chose from.

Going to make Carrot Cake Jam with the carrots. I had forgotten about that. Made it about 10 years ago. Thanks, @Dani for the link!

Tomorrow am making Caramel Apple Butter.

In case anyone is interested, I posted over in good deals, but the Tatler reusable canning lids are 15% off right now. That’s as inexpensive as I’ve found them. I’ve read plenty of things about canning with them but didn’t know about vacuum sealing with them. Mine arrived last night and I was itching to use them so this morning vacuum sealed some beans. Worked great! I am so thrilled! I got 100 of each size. As funds allow, I will try to get another hundred of each 😁. Will save lots in the long run.

In the last 2 weeks: Lots of pints of sliced carrots, lots of quarts of squash medley, Caramel Apple butter, Carrot Cake Jam, Candied Jalapenos. Next will be Caramelized onions with Balsamic Vinegar and then more squash--not sure how yet. Tis' the season!

In case anyone is interested, I posted over in good deals, but the Tatler reusable canning lids are 15% off right now. That’s as inexpensive as I’ve found them. I’ve read plenty of things about canning with them but didn’t know about vacuum sealing with them. Mine arrived last night and I was itching to use them so this morning vacuum sealed some beans. Worked great! I am so thrilled! I got 100 of each size. As funds allow, I will try to get another hundred of each 😁. Will save lots in the long run.
[/QUOTE
Have you found them easy to can with? I haven't found any local to buy and would love to do a test run before I bought a whole bunch. I have read horror stories but those may have been from inexperienced canners? I'm just not sure.

I’ve not yet used them for regular canning but am now anxious to. The main thing I know is not to cinch the rims down tight. They came with instructions and in all caps “Do not over tighten!” The best write up on using them I’ve found is on the blog “Thy Hand Hath Provided”. I plan on also revisiting it before I use them. I don’t have anything to can right now or I would and would let you know.
@Dani

LadyLocust, thanks for mentioning that blog. I bought some Tattlers but haven't used them yet. From everything I'd read, I decided that I would use them only for waterbathing. I looked up the instructions you mentioned and they are very helpful since they describe exactly the process that worked the best for them. Here they are for anyone else interested.
Pt. 1 Canning Applesauce with Tattler Reusable Lids (for the first time): Part 1

Pt. 2 Canning Applesauce with Tattler Reusable Lids (for the first time): Part 2

Hoping to get back to canning tomorrow. . . Took out a couple roast to cube up and I have a little cream corn to can after my corn harvest. Since the cream corn takes 95 minutes I wanted to make a full canner so got the roast out. I still have a bunch of tomatoes that I need to make into Rotel and El Chico sauce.

I just recently started canning. This last weekend I canned blueberry jam and raspberry jam. I'm wanting to do spaghetti sauce next as my husband practically lives off of it lol. There's tons of recipes for it but I was curious if y'all had any favorite pasta sauce recipes?

We are canning green beans ,
We want to start canning a sphagetti sauce but can't afford to do it at $2.50 lb for maters . Takes 6lbs per batch , 4 pints. Do the math

Wife uses Mrs Wages pasta sauce mix.

Put peppers ,onions tomatoes in blender.

Put in pot , add mix , cook 25 minutes.

Then can it.

I only grew 12 plants for eating and canning a few .
Can I use the whole tomatoes in a can from the store , $.87 a can (28 oz) ?
Maybe just add a few garden maters to them.

Jim

Last edited:
Back