What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pear Honey

F5939C98-EED2-4019-939E-ACFCF8856EED.jpeg

I grew up on pear honey. My mom didn't add the pineapple so I don't know what that is like. I did help running cooked pears through the colander with a big wooden roller that squeezed the pear into pulp. It was even better than peanut butter and honey!

just dug out the chicken carcasses and the one turkey carcass I had stored away in the freezer. Once they thaw I’m going to try and pressure cook them Into broth then let them cool. Take the fat cap off then reheat and can. 😱 The chickens were all beer but chickens off the smoker. Should make for an interesting broth I hope.

Got the turkey carcass in the pressure cooker now. Put the pressure cooker on soup/stew on “well” for 30 minutes per a recipe I found online. Didn’t give settings for an electric pressure cooker so I’m winging it.
After I strain this and put it in the fridge to cool I’ll put the 4 beer butt smoker chicken carcasses in and probably the same setting I would think. Strain and cool those then tomorrow cross my fingers and pray I can do it right and get the broth/stock (whichever it actually is) canned. We have cattle to work tonight so will can tomorrow is the plan. That way we get the fat caps off both batches and hopefully can can all at once. It says to reheat the liquid to boiling before canning. Super nervous but super excited. I’m still confused about what can and can’t be pressure canned and why some things say only certain seasoning can be canned. Hopefully none of the seasonings used in these birds will not harm the canning. Any advice welcome!

Don't sweat it so much. Once you have done one batch, it will all click and make sense.

High acid goods are water bathed and low acid foods are pressure canned. This is why you start by using a canning bible. It will tell you which method to use and eventually you will know what is what by the act of following the guide.

You can pressure can everything, but don't if its not required. Pressure is hard on the texture of food, so let that help you decide if you want to go that route or not.

You may follow instructions to the letter of the law, and still end up with crap.

Example: I followed the instruction guide times for pressure canning asparagus and it came out total mush and burnt tasting. I had to throw it out and let me tell you, I was not happy about it. I have since reduced the time over a few sessions, and all is good now. My goal was not having burnt asparagus. There has been no indication, that I have died and gone to canning hell because of my changes..

As you gain experience, you will gain the confidence to make adjustments. Until then, its live and learn by following the canning guides and assessing the results.

Since you cannot remove the seasonings from your carcasses, can the stock, taste the results and write down your results for next time. I would bet the farm that your stock is going to be more than just fine. It is highly unlikely that there is enough residual spices to detrimentally effect the outcome.

I take that last comment back, I tried canning the left overs from one of those heavily smoked turkeys and failed to remove the skin first. That was too over powering and another bust.

Last edited:
Thank you for that @ClemKadiddlehopper
That is exactly my hope. Get at it and gain experience and be more comfortable with it. Unfortunately I’m a very detailed person. I want to know why things are the way they are (like with adjusting recipes being ”bad”) so I avoid errors or kill us😂. Seems there’s so much in question that really shouldn’t be with canning because of the powers that be say so. I’ve read through this thread a dozen times and it’s helped greatly relieve fears but there is sadly still that doubt. We’d like to survive this learning experience and get great at it like y’all are. Having said that I’m pretty sure my hubby could survive anything if he’s survived my cooking all these years 😂
Both broths/stocks are cooled now. Will skim the fat and will be pressure canning them this evening. Want to go through the books again and make sure I have the prep of the jars etc down BEFORE we start.
Thanks again Clem! Will post how it goes later.

Excellent advice from @ClemKadiddlehopper! :)

Also, I think right now you're thinking of EVERYTHING you want to can. EVER. That might be a bit intimidating. :D

You're at the stage of learning how to drive a stick shift and learning where you're going at the same time. You're learning how to use a canner in general, and learning how to prepare and can a specific item - at the same time. After a few times canning, you won't have to think through (or check the book) every step of using the canner - it WILL come, I promise. ;) Then you'll just be learning each new food item that you can.

And like Clem said, you'll learn and adapt things here and there, too. I think that's where having a kitchen/canning journal really comes in handy - it's a record of YOUR experience with the foods you like to can.

Looking forward to learning how your broth/stock turns out!

Thank you @goshengirl I’m sure your 100% correct. Great analogies 😂 Couldn’t be clearer and right on target.
I am thinking of all the things I want to can and then some. Add on top making sure we have enough supplies on hand (jars, lids, via her, etc) to do all the things we haven’t even gotten to yet. Current affairs make me wonder how available supplies will be so I’m trying to plan ahead while not truly knowing the in’s and outs. It’s overwhelming but I know we will be ok. BUT it is exciting. I’ve wanted to do this for so long and let “fear” stop me. No more!!! It’s happening!!! 😬 Already got the journal started for this broth. From what I cooked it on in the pressure cooker to how long it’s in the fridge cooling etc. Probably to much information but I figure I can thin it out later but can’t add it in once I’ve forgotten.
Thank you for the help and support. It’s so much more appreciated than many know. :huggs:

I'm glad it helps! Honestly, I remember being the same way when I first started. I kinda tend to live in my brain. 😂

And I meant to tell you! Earlier this week I was at Meijer and checked the canning shelves. No lids (either size), and some jars but not a lot. Today I was back there, and they had wide mouth canning lids! I thought of you, LOL. They also had more jars. So there is movement going on in the supply chain. 👍

Its been said before by others. Canning supplies are normally in short supply for most of the year. Stores don't start stocking them until July/August and because the art of canning had been dying off, there has not been mass quantities on the shelves for years, now. Try ordering from places like Home Hardware and Ace Hardware in the spring. They tend to have ware houses full of jars then; you might not see many on the shelves though.

I read about people buying seeds already, but I can't. The people doing the ordering for the stores don't care that I might like to start them now for spring planting. Kind of like trying to buy a t-shirt in the middle of summer and can't, because they are already selling winter gear.

Can anyone tell me how much water is supposed to be in the pressure canner? Cover the jars? 2-3 inches with the jars on the rack covers the jars. I’m so confused and online everything just says 2-3 inches which covers the jars on the rack and looks like that’s not supposed to be the case with pressure canning....... help!!!

@Double R - my pressure canner has a line that I fill it to, before putting the jars in. Doesn't your canner have something like that? I would think it would be specified in your canner instructions?

Edited to add:
I'm in the middle of baking bread right now, but I'll search through these posts and see if you specify your canner brand when I can...

Can anyone tell me how much water is supposed to be in the pressure canner? Cover the jars? 2-3 inches with the jars on the rack covers the jars. I’m so confused and online everything just says 2-3 inches which covers the jars on the rack and looks like that’s not supposed to be the case with pressure canning....... help!!!

How large is your canner? We don't cover the jars, our water comes up about half way to 3/4s up the jar.

@Double R - my pressure canner has a line that I fill it to, before putting the jars in. Doesn't your canner have something like that? I would think it would be specified in your canner instructions?

Edited to add:
I'm in the middle of baking bread right now, but I'll search through these posts and see if you specify your canner brand when I can...
No lines inside. It’s an all American 925 pressure canner

How large is your canner? We don't cover the jars, our water comes up about half way to 3/4s up the jar.
All American 925

That’s what we ended up doing. About 2/3 is what we did this first round. Figured if we killed this batch we’d toss it and hopefully have some reliable help before the next batch. When we put the jars in it covered them and that didn’t seem right for pressure canning. What a way to take the fun out of it 🤦🏻‍♀️ We’re waiting for the pressure to go down on round 1. Anxious to see how we did.

No lines inside. It’s an all American 925 pressure canner
Sweet!

Okay, that's different than my canner, so I'm not directly familiar with that one specifically. But I did a quick search for instructions. I see where it says to pour 2-3 inches into the canner. That's similar to mine - my line is about 2 inches from the bottom.

So put the water in before putting the jars in. Once you add the jars, they will displace the water so that the level rises, but it won't cover the jars. For pressure canning, the water doesn't cover the jars (like it does in water bath canning).

Latest posts

Back