What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But my question is don’t you get tired of peeling potatoes (50 lbs!) when you can that many? I’ve only canned potatoes once and I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands so it’s never easy to do. But that session of canning potatoes really did me in for a couple days because of the peeling.

I don't always peel them. Just scrub them.

I got a good price on elbow noodles and have lots of Velveeta type cheese, so I'm going to PC macaroni and cheese in pints. I know one of my canning groups has a recipe.

I'm not fond of Velveeta but I'd be interested in the recipe if your noodles don't turn to mush.

Canned out first batch of chicken soup last night but unfortunately was so tired that I didn’t even think about peeling the carrots. Just rinsed and diced. Realized it this morning. Guess I’ll be repackaging it for the freezer. Disappointed I forgot. I don’t peel them for eating so it’s not something I think about. Guess I was to tired to be canning but needed to get the chicken canned. 12 pints will be repackaged and put in the freezer. Hope to never make that mistake again. Looking forward to trying it anyways.
E261C5AD-0751-4444-B4D1-6424ADFCC7E0.jpeg

So teach me oh wise one
Canned out first batch of chicken soup last night but unfortunately was so tired that I didn’t even think about peeling the carrots. Just rinsed and diced. Realized it this morning. Guess I’ll be repackaging it for the freezer. Disappointed I forgot. I don’t peel them for eating so it’s not something I think about. Guess I was to tired to be canning but needed to get the chicken canned. 12 pints will be repackaged and put in the freezer. Hope to never make that mistake again. Looking forward to trying it anyways.
View attachment 62176
So teach me oh wise one - I know not why you have to peel the carrots???

So teach me oh wise one - I know not why you have to peel the carrots???

Far from wise. Lol So do you not peel all your root vegetables?! The canning books etc say your gunna die of botulism if you don’t peel root vegetables. The botulism is just lurking in the shadows (or cracks of the veggies) to kill us. Lol
I thought that was the point of the long pressure cook time 🤷🏻‍♀️
We opened one for dinner to try and it was absolutely delicious so that’s a start. If y’all don’t hear from me after this know we died of carrot botulism.

So it’s normal not to peel the root vegetables? Sheesh. I’d rather leave it on.
I'd not heard this before but like you, figured the PC kills the bacteria that lurch in the veggies. Will be curious if others chime in. I would think as long as the jars are properly sealed etc. all good.

Thank you everyone! I left the jars sealing after the first comments since clearly it didn’t sound like it was something everyone knew/practiced. Does leaving the skins on potatoes change the taste any? The carrots didn’t taste any different in the chicken soup and I’ll be doing potatoes next weekend so thinking about leaving the skins on now.
Seems so odd it’s a major “no no” for “safe canning” but yet y’all have been fine and doesn’t sound like even knew it was a “no no”. So much still to learn.
Btw hubby says the Chipotle in adobo beef came out very good but more like soup than seasoned beef. The recipe says to dump the juice but that’s the good stuff so I’m told so that won’t happen. 😂 Hurray! Another successful recipe for the books! Can not wait for our cow to get back from the locker.

I just juiced a bunch of blackberries which will be made into wine. I am looking at a bushel of pears and another of apples, debating canning them. I have a full pantry, and probably 18 jars of everything already. I really don’t need them and could give them away, but...... what are you guys doing as far as putting away? Are you saving as much as you can, or letting some things slide and enjoying your time otherwise? I am starting to wonder if I have issues, or being very prepared.

I just juiced a bunch of blackberries which will be made into wine. I am looking at a bushel of pears and another of apples, debating canning them. I have a full pantry, and probably 18 jars of everything already. I really don’t need them and could give them away, but...... what are you guys doing as far as putting away? Are you saving as much as you can, or letting some things slide and enjoying your time otherwise? I am starting to wonder if I have issues, or being very prepared.

I put away everything I can. We figured that we would be feeding more than just us in an emergency and covid proved it.

I got to much cooked chicken meat in the freezer. Need to figure out what recipes other than chicken soup I can use it in to can and put on the shelf. Any suggestions?

Made chicken stock from 4 chicken carcasses in our new toaster oven and it turned out dark and tasted like beef stock. Very confused how that came to be. Not sure if I’ll can it now or not at this point. Don’t need more beef stock (or beef tasting) at the moment.

Picked up our beef today. Time to make some more Chipotle beef as that’s been a hit. Not sure what else to make for the shelves. Got to look through the ball books again. Don’t need anymore stew at the moment. Need to get some of the meat out of the freezer.

Need to figure out what recipes other than chicken soup I can use it in to can and put on the shelf. Any suggestions?

Is it bone in or boneless? Boneless, you can make any recipe you want with sauce and PC it. If a recipe calls for dairy, I use chicken broth instead.
If it is bone in, I just stick it in a jar and PC plain. When I open it, I can make whatever after de-boning.

That's my two cents worth!

Is it bone in or boneless? Boneless, you can make any recipe you want with sauce and PC it. If a recipe calls for dairy, I use chicken broth instead.
If it is bone in, I just stick it in a jar and PC plain. When I open it, I can make whatever after de-boning.

That's my two cents worth!

Bones turn to crumble when canned at home so we use to can bones for ou dogs now and then. Canningrice for dog sounds like good idea,neve though of that,We only have one old dog left now.

Last edited:
Bones turn to crumble when canned at home so we use to can bones for ou dogs now and then. Canningrice for dog sounds like good usea,neve though of that,We only have one old dog left now.

I agree about the bones! That is why I only can bone-in plain, not with sauce. Did that once. what a mess to de-bone!

Back