What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up 6 milk at .88 a half gallon today, so PCing that in quarts. Already used the last batch. Tastes great!

Yesterday made blueberry apple pie filling and waterbathed that. 5 quarts
Monday (I think), I dry packed and PC'd bell peppers and onions 7 quarts

Wife canned up a dozen jars of maters today. Half out kitchen table is covered and 1 counter with more ripening. There will likely be another big batch to do tomorrow.

I picked 6 gallons Saturday, got 4 more today.
Ours are all still green. We've had 2 ripe ones - was told over 95* tomatoes stop. It's been a little cooler so their going again.

My mom is a great thower awayer of good things. I kept forgetting to tell her to gently remove and save her canning lids to reuse. She responded that they aren't reliable (so she throws them away.) I said, but they are better than the nonexistent ones since she won't be able to get more. I did find some online and told her how much per lid - she said per lid or per box? I confirmed per lid. I think I have her convinced not to throw them away. (She would throw them away if she just vac. sealed an item.) She said she does have enough to get her through this year. (I gave her a couple boxes last time I saw her.)
I have tattlers but am not very efficient at using them yet. Guess I'll get more practice.

I received my fruit order from the fruit truck when I went to pick up my plucker. Due to forest fires between me and the fruit growing region, I had to get while the getting was good.

So now, I have to slice and freeze 50 lbs of strawberries tonight, 50 lbs of cherries need to be pitted and frozen and of course, I haven't seen my cherry pitter since the move, and have no idea where it could be. Doing them one at a time gives new meaning to "that sucks".

Then, 50 lbs of nectarines and 150 lbs of peaches to be canned and dehydrated before they go to mush. This was all supposed to be spread out a little, but with the fires and them potentially having to evacuate the orchards, I needed to help them out by taking everything they could bring for sure at this time.

LadyLocust,

A while back I found regular mouth lids but no wide mouth. Now they are trying to sell Itty bitty jelly jars only, during peak canning season. I am wondering if maybe the people doing the ordering are simply younger without any understanding of real canning.

Years ago, I bought a 1000 new jars and extra lids. Now I wish I had doubled that. I am not enjoying canning marathons any more, but with the obstacles life is currently throwing at us, there doesn't seem to be much choice.

I stock piled tatlers as well, so I can make do.

It sounds like it, but here is a break down.

150 lbs of peaches will make about 45 qts

That is one jar a month for 4 yrs. or one jar a week for 1 year. Home canned peaches in light syrup keep a minimum of 6 years.

50 lbs of nectarines will make around 15 qts same shelf life.

50 lbs of cherries makes 8 -10 cherry pies @ 4 cups per pie.

Fresh cherries (frozen is close enough) is nothing like store bought filling so I get complaints that I am stingy with the pies.

Cherry and raspberries together make an amazing jam if one is into that.

50 lbs of strawberries is also only good for 20 helpings of strawberry short cake so good for around 2 years.

I base my pantry on two years. I have two generous years of mostly homemade and keep replacing used stuff when in season. Because of my move, I have to restock the canning.

It sounds like it, but here is a break down.

150 lbs of peaches will make about 45 qts

That is one jar a month for 4 yrs. or one jar a week for 1 year. Home canned peaches in light syrup keep a minimum of 6 years.

50 lbs of nectarines will make around 15 qts same shelf life.

50 lbs of cherries makes 8 -10 cherry pies @ 4 cups per pie.

Fresh cherries (frozen is close enough) is nothing like store bought filling so I get complaints that I am stingy with the pies.

Cherry and raspberries together make an amazing jam if one is into that.

50 lbs of strawberries is also only good for 20 helpings of strawberry short cake so good for around 2 years.

I base my pantry on two years. I have two generous years of mostly homemade and keep replacing used stuff when in season. Because of my move, I have to restock the canning.
Thanks for the breakdown. Not really as much as it first sounded like looking at it like that. But you sure have your work cut out for you.

I received my fruit order from the fruit truck when I went to pick up my plucker. Due to forest fires between me and the fruit growing region, I had to get while the getting was good.

So now, I have to slice and freeze 50 lbs of strawberries tonight, 50 lbs of cherries need to be pitted and frozen and of course, I haven't seen my cherry pitter since the move, and have no idea where it could be. Doing them one at a time gives new meaning to "that sucks".

Then, 50 lbs of nectarines and 150 lbs of peaches to be canned and dehydrated before they go to mush. This was all supposed to be spread out a little, but with the fires and them potentially having to evacuate the orchards, I needed to help them out by taking everything they could bring for sure at this time.
Nice! For me it's all about the mode of attack: First get a batch going on the dehydrator, then tackle strawberries, then. . . Just think how beautiful it will be on the pantry shelves.

No, but I am sure you could pressure can it. One big problem could be the spices you use. Some spices can do some pretty nasty things to the taste, when canned.

If you have canned the sauce before, without any issues, than go for it. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Try searching Jackie Clay canning. That lady has done it all.

Spent a few hours yesterday morning making a cherry pitter out of some scrap wood, rubber bands and a 5 inch stainles steel bolt. It looks like a stapler. It works but I can still only do one at a time, but much faster. I was able to get the 40 lbs of cherries done.

Today, I have started canning the peaches.

Okay, I know this is a silly question but, Has anyone here canned Sloppy Joe meat and sauce together? Trying to can more of my frozen venison....

Today, I am canning tomato sauce....
I've not done sloppy joes, but have done spaghetti sauce w/ meat which is similar (sorta). The meat will be softer and most sauces and soups seem to be a bit thinner once canned (or maybe I just do something weird.)

Okay, I know this is a silly question but, Has anyone here canned Sloppy Joe meat and sauce together? Trying to can more of my frozen venison....

Today, I am canning tomato sauce....

ilike lady locust says, its not much different than canning your favorite spaghetti sauce---just make up your favorite recipe and can away.

then try pork BBQ. that is NICE to grab, dump in a pan , heat up and toss on a bun.

Latest posts

Back