What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today, I thought I was done canning, but wait I have stock to can and the wife just asked about canning beans. I gave here a recipe (that called for 1/2 cup of dry beans), so she cleaned the beans and promptly started soaking to re-hydrate them.... Sometime I feel like I am talking to a wall..... What part of dry includes water? Sorry, I am tired and some sometimes I feel like I am working against myself....

FYI the lentils and split pea came out more like a paste than a soup... I should have expected it as I used my wife's recipe and you can eat my wife's soup with a fork...... it taste's good but she just doesn't know when to stop adding stuff... ;)

It will be 19:00 before I can start the beans, but I now have 2 racks so I can double stack them... If I start canning a batch of chicken stock at 16:00 the timing should be right to have it all done today.... All the jars are in the dishwasher now, so they should be ready with plenty of time to spare.

Then the only things left to can around here will be tomatoes and peppers.....

Today, I put up the canning supplies and the stuff we had been canning over the last week. I had been noticing an old box that I though had canning jars in it. When I opened it I found about half-dozen jam jars and a "few" rings and lids, my count was a dozen boxes of lids and several boxes of rings and lids.... There was some scrap, but still a score.
1631244992086.jpeg

It is a nice addition to the supplies in my canning closet:
1631245067603.jpeg

Here is the corner I keep my canning tools in:
1631245144349.jpeg

The back-up supply of our "quick" meals and salsa is stored here so I can easily get them when needed.... I use post-it notes to make inventory control easy, year after year....

canning taters today. neighbor went down and got some 50# bags of taters direct from farmers for just $10. i could not pass that up. im not a big tater eater but i love adding them to the stews i make every week in the winter. and they are easy to fry up real quick in the morning with breakfast.

check out local farmers in your state seems many are hurting and would love to sell direct to locals.

Not canning yet, but I have 15 gal. of chicken carcasses including some laying roosters on the stove simmering; will freeze for canning later. I have another 50 chickens to butcher which will add 45 gallons of bones to the mix.

I just finished peeling and rough cutting a fifty lb. bag of onions and 25 lbs of carrots for all the stock making yet to come. My feet hurt. I was blessed with enough old bananas to make 10 loaves of babanna bread so that is next for today. I am taking the day off from any more chickens.

I am odd, in that I can't handle mixing things together. For instance, I like chocolate and fruit, but put the two together and it's barf city to me. Coconut is more forgiving. Everyone that knows me, does not gift me with a box of chocolates unless they really mean to eat it themselves. Black forest cake-🤮

I am odd, in that I can't handle mixing things together. For instance, I like chocolate and fruit, but put the two together and it's barf city to me. Coconut is more forgiving. Everyone that knows me, does not gift me with a box of chocolates unless they really mean to eat it themselves. Black forest cake-🤮
I had a coworker from Mexico

https://www.linkedin.com/mwlite/in/marcela-maldonado-austin
that hated chocolate but preferred a Mexican treat. Still loved her as a sister .

Chocolate is actually an acquired taste.

Ben

I'm the same way. I'll eat cheese with my burger but not on it and NEVER put candy or nuts in my ice cream, brownies or fudge.

Saturday we were given 25lbs each of apples and peaches. I made and caned 4 quarts of apple pie filling. Sunday I picked 50 ears of corn, froze about dozen of the prettiest ones and cut the kernels off the rest and canned them. When I get home I tomorrow I am going to make peach pie filling and apple sauce and then figure out what to do with the rest of the peaches.

Last weekend I harvested all the peppers and we smoked and canned them (seeds and membranes removed) diced... got 2 flats which wasn't bad for growing in containers. Today, I went out and harvested about 2 gallons to tomatoes, in the process found a bunch more peppers... I expect we will have to can tomatoes in about 2 weeks...

View attachment 72405
Pretty sure this is the one your talking about. I’ve been looking for one reasonably priced. Amazon has one for $79 which is just silly.
Thank you. I will look too. If I find something a little more reasonable, I will let you know.

Back