What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dani,
With all the cantaloupe we have growing I need that recipe!

I used the one over at Canning Granny blog
http://canninggranny.blogspot.com/search/label/cantaloupe jam

Cantaloupe Jam with Vanilla
From Food in Jars: Preserving in Small Batches Year-Round

Make 3--1/2 pints

Ingredients

2-1/2 cups chopped peeled cantaloupe

1-1/2 cups granulated sugar

1 vanilla bean

zest of 1 lemon

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 packet liquid pectin

Combine the cantaloupe, sugar, and vanilla bean pod and seeds in a nonreactive pot. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, and the pectin. Return to a vigorous boil. Cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes, until the bubbles look thick. Remove the vanilla bean pod and discard. Remove the pot from the heat and ladle the jam into the prepared jars to 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe the rims, apply the lids and rings, and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

I will also make a light syrup then cool. Sanitize your jars but let cool. Pour over chunks with 1 Tablespoon lemon juice per quart size jar. Process for 5 minutes at 10 lbs pressure.

Thanks Dani! I have it copied and in my recipe book. With two cantaloupe plants we will likely get between 24 and 30 melons. I can eat a lot but not that much.

Pickled beets and jalepenos.
20180723_190228.jpg

Do you fry your bacon first?
no dani, i packed it raw. we just got through grinding deer meat, wound up with 30 pounds this time, but i have more to do . sil said he is bringing home some boneless chicken and daughter wants to grind that up. so i guess we'll be having chicken burgers as well.

Last edited:
I watched a couple videos, one lady didn't get it and the other lady did till crispy. They both used the parchment paper. The crispy stayed cruspy. Kinda just a heat and serve. The other was on the lumpy side but I would do it that way to throw in things for seasonings.

I've done bacon in pt jars with the parchment. Found that that is to much bacon for us to use at once. Since we rarely eat bacon strips I now cut it into pieces (or buy them that way) and use half pint jars. It makes enough to add to eggs or beans with no left overs.

i found a new to me chicken recipe for canning.
SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN
4-1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken,cut into bite sized pieces,raw
2 large green bell peppers,2 large red bell peppers,chopped
2 large onions, chopped
1 #1o can pineapple chunks,drained , reserve juice
3/4 cup brown sugar
1-1/4 cups white vinegar
6 tablespoons soy sauce
4 tablespoons catsup
1 teaspoon ginger

layer chicken ,peppers, onions, and pineapple in jar.
heat sugar,vinegar,soy sauce,catsup,ginger, and 3 cups pineapple juice{can add water to make 3 cups}.heat just to dissolve sugar,do not boil. pour overcontents in jar to 1 inch headspace. remove air bubbles. add more sauce if necessary. process 90 minutes in pressure canner. i use the 10 pound weight for my location.

i am looking for some good homemade bbq sauce recipes. anybody got any that you would share?

Last edited:
i have a bunch of boneless chicken thighs in the freezer that i can hardly wait to do the sweet and siur chicken. i also want to do some succotash, brunswick stew , some bar-b-que sauce, and 3 bean salad. sorry i love to can.:D

Back