What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dani

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Guess I start this out. . .

Yesterday I canned up a bunch of greens, a combination of turnip, mustard and kale. I mixed cause this year my mustard was trying to bite back and I just needed to tame it down some.

Then I pickled some radishes and since i had some extra time and wanted to do something fun, I went back out to pick a handful of Tabasco peppers and cilantro to mix up a Peach Salsa. I used a Habanero Mango salsa recipe and tweaked it to use on hand items. Turned out pretty darn good.

You obviously live in a southern climate.

The only can I'm opening today will be a Labatt's since they don't freeze immediately in our temps.

Canning ended for me almost 3 months ago. :(
In southern part of TX so I can grow year round which means as long as my jar supply holds out, I'm normally canning up something.

I've got another dishpan full of pecans to crack and shell out . Then I'm going to can them so I can get them out of my freezer. Alan out of the freezer. Also have collards to get out of the freezer . Looks like January is going to be a very busy canning month for me. This weekend i have some russet potatoes to can while we are baking .

I didn't do a lot of canning this year. We had a very wet summer. The tomatoes in particular had a rough go of it.

But I do have plenty of stuff from the last 2 years. Here is a sampling.

Chicken, Venison and sausage.

P1010557.JPG

Soups and stews.

P1010558.JPG

Tomato soup. The 2 on the right are 2 years old and have darkened a bit. I mix the old with the new when I heat it up.
P1010559.JPG

My own yellow wax beans. We go through a lot of these. I don't think they'll last to the next harvest.

P1010560.JPG

Pears on the left, applebutter, apple cider and applesauce.
P1010560.JPG

P1010561.JPG

Peaches

P1010562.JPG

Peach jam on the left. Plum jelly on the right.

P1010563.JPG

Cranberry sauce. No, I don't grow cranberries. But I can only get them fresh at this time of year so I buy 10 or so bags and can them so I have it all year.

P1010564.JPG

We had our first hard freeze 2 weeks ago so I harvested the green tomatoes. I set aside the ones that would ripen. Just put up 6 pints of chow chow and 6 pints of green tomato - apple chutney. Last week I processed the 6 spaghetti squash I'd harvested in October and put them in the freezer. Although not done recently, I freeze tomatoes whole, so will make peach salsa (also from frozen peaches) after Christmas. Not bad considering I live in an apartment.

Way behind on the canning this year.

We need to can something soon as we pay off money on camper we had to pay somebody $2000 to take. He will get that back after he builds his house but it was worth it to get it out of our name and out of backyard.
We need carrots, beef, chicken, sweet potatoes, greens to can.

A couple days ago I canned up some lard that was rendered from a recent hog. Yesterday my neighbor had sent down some satsumas and then while sweet hunny was out on a job today, one of his customers had a grapefruit tree and let hunny bring some home, so I went ahead and canned all those up the grapefruit and satsumas in a honey syrup after I got home from work. Since I didn't have two full loads, I picked some of my lemons to fill the canner. Figured might as well since it was going. I did save the seeds so hopefully I can start my own trees of the oranges and grapefruit. Listening to the pings now. . . :).

We all make mistakes in our learning to can endeavors. I have thrown away away ruined stuff because of using table salt instead of canning salt and, also, lost a case of pear butter because I put my batch in the fridge to can later and didn't get it hit enough before I jarred it. I probably shed a few tears while I was tossing it! "When in doubt toss it out!"

picked up another 23 bags of cranberries. now i know dehydratar is going to be working overtime. also going to make some cranberry bread for christmas gifts.

I dried a few bags of cranberries too. Found out that I'm not really fond of them that way. I'll snack on them from time to time but I prefer dried fruit to berries.

A couple days ago I canned up some lard that was rendered from a recent hog. Yesterday my neighbor had sent down some satsumas and then while sweet hunny was out on a job today, one of his customers had a grapefruit tree and let hunny bring some home, so I went ahead and canned all those up the grapefruit and satsumas in a honey syrup after I got home from work. Since I didn't have two full loads, I picked some of my lemons to fill the canner. Figured might as well since it was going. I did save the seeds so hopefully I can start my own trees of the oranges and grapefruit. Listening to the pings now. . . :).

Did you take all the pith off of the satsumas and grapefruit or leave it on?

Back