What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talked to the timekeeper at work and found out some good news. Because of certain company and union policies, vacation has to be used up by Jan 1st. I had an odd number of hours left over and was going to have to work 4 hours tomorrow and take 6 vacation hours. The timekeeper got the boss to agree to let me just take the 6 hours vacation and take the other 4 hours as unpaid personal time. So, I get an extra day off and I can go watch my daughter's dance practice tonight. Seems like I'm always off in another state when her instructor opens up the studio for parents to watch, so I'm pretty happy about that...

I realized today I am not sure where my 20 ft tow chain and the 50 ft steel cable are. I am generally pretty conciencous about where I leave them. I don't even recall where I last used them. Everything is covered with leaves and grass now. Brush hogging season may be little scetchy.

Today was playing around with my new airgun, getting things ready to go shoot tomorrow. Hard part was finding what in the heck I did with my pellets from years ago. But I eventually found them. Well, some of them. The cheap Crossman ones. I still haven't found the higher end pellets I have for better accuracy. Doesn't really matter though, tomorrow will be a plinking-for-fun day, not a target-shooting day.

Had lunch out on the back deck - it was so nice outside today. 70 degrees and sunny. Our dog, who is now very old and decrepit, really liked the outdoor time. She barely hobbles around these days, but had a wonderful time sniffing out whatever it is that dogs sniff out in the grass.

I'm heading up to the kitchen soon, to make a pot roast. I'm trying it in the Instant Pot for the first time today. That makes it quite a bit faster than my normal crock-pot method of cooking. We'll see how it comes out at dinner tonight.

Finished the wiring for the under counter lighting. Yeah!

Cut the first sheet of drywall.

20211202_162304.jpg

Had to run before screwing it in place. More tomorrow.

Ben

Today was the day to spay/neuter the kittens. We carefully locked them in to the playpen last night, away from food. This morning, I get up and walk down the hallway and see 2 previously confined kittens romping in the hallway:eek:. Well, that changes things, now its trying to catch cats that graduated SERE training (Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape - Wikipedia).

Finally captured, and transported to the vet. My DW is a crying mess, worried about the kits and the surgery. Off to the Senior Center for her Mat group and me getting my butt kicked at pool.

Home, then go pick up the kits, all are well and happy.

Time for a "Rittenhouse", a chaser and 3 shots :)

1638497885473.png

1638497911024.png

I'm heading up to the kitchen soon, to make a pot roast. I'm trying it in the Instant Pot for the first time today. That makes it quite a bit faster than my normal crock-pot method of cooking. We'll see how it comes out at dinner tonight.
This Instant Pot roast was the best ever! I cannot believe how tender it was. You look at it and falls apart into shreds. Amazing.

I think this result was mostly due to the Instant Pot. I didn't use a high end roast. I just picked up something that was on sale for half price - that turned out to be a 3lb Beef Cross-Rib Chuck Roast for $12.49 Seemed pretty cheap to me. I have no idea if this is a good cut of meat or not. Being cheap, I bought it because it was on sale. However, out of the Instant Pot it was absolutely wonderful. No knife needed for this stuff.

I cooked it as described below. I liked how it came out so much that I went back and typed in what I had done so I can repeat it in the future. My wife does not like heavily spiced food, so I went for more bland, but it came out fantastic if you ask me. A little pepper would have been good, but that kills my wife. The potatoes and carrots came out very mushy, but delicious. That's the way my wife likes them. The onion basically disappeared.

---

Instant Pot Roast

3 lbs Beef Cross-Rib Chuck Roast
6-8 golden potatoes, each about racquetball size, quartered
1 cup mini carrots
Large onion
3-5 cloves garlic
1 package French Onion dry soup mix
Beef “Better Than Bouillon” concentrate
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Peanut oil, or whatever oil you prefer to brown meat with
Kosher salt
Cornstarch

Remove roast from refrigerator, liberally cover all sides with kosher salt, allow to sit on counter for one hour to warm to room temperature.

Cut onion into wedges. Quarter potatoes. Chop garlic. Mix 3 cups or hot water with “Better Than Bouillon” to make a broth. Vegetables will come out mushy, if something firmer is wanted, do not quarter the potatoes, and use larger carrots.

After roast has warmed, heat 1-1/2 tbsp of peanut oil in Instant Pot on saute setting. Cover all sides of roast with onion soup mix, then brown all sides, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove roast and set aside.

Add garlic, onion, and carrots and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. There will be burned meat from the previous browning step and the garlic will stick into that, but that's OK. Remove this vegetable mix from Instant Pot and set aside.

Add broth and apple cider vinegar to Instant Pot and use wooden spoon to scrape off burned meat and vegetables from bottom of pot (be careful not to splash while scraping). This burnt stuff gets mixed in with the broth and adds good flavor. Hit “Cancel” to stop saute mode.

Add Roast. Add vegetables. Add potatoes. Most will probably be submerged in the broth, but if not, that’s OK.

Pressure cook at high pressure for 60 minutes (20 minutes per pound of meat).

After cooking, allow 10 minutes for pressure to partially release naturally. Then push controlled steam release button to finish depressurizing (about 5 minutes).

Remove roast and shred. Remove vegetables.

Turn Instant Pot back to saute to boil liquid for a few minutes.

Mix two tablespoons of cornstarch in ¼ water and stir to dissolve. Add to Instant Pot to thicken the boiling liquid. Continue boiling to gravy thickness you desire, adding a little more water/cornstarch mix if it is not thick enough.

Timings: 60 minutes to bring refrigerated meat to room temperature (prepare everything else while meat is warming). 10 minutes to brown meat. 5 minutes to saute vegetables. 15 minutes for Instant Pot to pressurize. 60 minutes to pressure cook. 15 minutes to depressurize. Total 2 hours 45 minutes.

We buried my Uncle today. It went very well all things considered.
He was 90. His mind was sound but his body had failed so he was ready to go.
My Aunt isn't thinking very clearly and she asked the funeral home to provide pall bearers. When I found out I asked if I could take care of that and she was happy to let me. So I made a few calls and 5 other guys were more than willing to step up and help me.
A man should be carried to his final resting place by family not rented pall bearers.

Condolences man. at least he's not hurting anymore.
Look at it like this, he's beholding sights he's traveled a lifetime to see.
I'm told there IS fishing and hunting there.

Benn working on electric in garage ,
Almost done

I'm old and decrepit, so l learned something today...Everytime I drop something...I learned to wait until I dropped 3-4 more things before bending over and picking them up...it sure helps save the back.

Going for lunch , hope I can finish it today , suppose to turn colder tomorrow.

Jim

My condolences on your uncle, Ben.

When I go I don't want a funeral. I hate funerals and wouldn't want to subject anyone to having to go to one for me. If I have an obituary I want the number of cats I'm survived by listed. LOL. It might give someone who reads it a chuckle.

I need to get up and do something productive today. Yesterday I got mail and prescriptions. Today I'm tired & it looks like it might rain. Sky is already getting dark and it's only a few minutes after 3pm now.

Looks like someone forgot the sand on the rd.
That was just after Sowmagedon 2010 when we snowed in with no power for days. The funeral had to be postponed since all the roads were blocked. On the day of the funeral there was still 3" of ice on the roads. I was impressed with the color guard handling the ice.

Too cold for salt to work.

Ben

My condolences on your uncle, Ben.

When I go I don't want a funeral. I hate funerals and wouldn't want to subject anyone to having to go to one for me. If I have an obituary I want the number of cats I'm survived by listed. LOL. It might give someone who reads it a chuckle.

I need to get up and do something productive today. Yesterday I got mail and prescriptions. Today I'm tired & it looks like it might rain. Sky is already getting dark and it's only a few minutes after 3pm now.
It was @backlash that lost his uncle.

Ben

My father had firefighters load him into a fire truck...

View attachment 76515

And an air force color guard at the cemetery

View attachment 76516

Ben
That was nice. Your dad must have been a firefighter and veteran. That would make them the same as family.
I was talking about hiring people that had didn't know anything about my uncle and were being paid by my aunt via the funeral home. That just seemed wrong to all of us.

That was good of you @backlash ! When something like that happens, organizing isn't at the top of the list. I hope you have lots of fond memories.
Everyone that knew him has a funny story to tell about things he did. He was a master practical joker and he got everyone more than once.

Oops, sorry, I'm terrible at remembering who said what. Sorry, Backlash.

My dad never got his flag he was supposed to get from the Army. We were never sure how to request it & when he first died it was a shock so we were not prepared at all.

Today I felt sort of crappy. Cooked for Mom and then had to go get a security light and camera for my friend since some neighborhood punks were planning some criminal vandalism of his property & were stupid enough to brag about it at school so news got to my friend & police were notified. Still not sure why the one brat isn't in juvie. He's supposed to be under house arrest & has an ankle monitor but he's been going around trespassing, breaking in to houses, & threatening people with a knife.

Tomorrow I'm going to force myself to clean up and do something productive.

Tractor tire is fixed sort of, $500 later and it's no longer flat, but the guy that came and fixed it showed us a bunch of rust on the wheel itself. That might have poked a hole in the tube. I think we need a newer tractor , but there aren't any even remotely reasonably priced ones available anywhere near us right now

It's been very nice out, sunny and warm, but very dry. This has been the driest year we have had since we moved here. I am not really complaining, I dislike it when it rains for days and everything turns to mud but we do need some rain.

Ordered nuts online for my Christmas cookies. Walmart doesn't have everything, especially shelled hazelnuts. We actually have trees, but me bad....I let the goats eat the leaves since the nuts they produced the first couple of years were very small and a huge amount of work to shell, same as the walnuts. I think the only way I would shell nuts in any amount if there really was none available in a store or online. Nuts are not hard to grow but shelling them is. I wonder what sort of machines commercial nut farmers have to make that happen.

edit: I looked it up Small Pecan Nut Buster - Pecan Nut Busters
$4000 wow, no wonder nuts are so expensive!

Latest posts

Back