What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the wife did it(I helped a little).

She's been wanting this for a while , but we just been too busy. Now we are freed up some.

So after lunch today we went back to the breeder , top notch breeder.

We put a hold deposit on this one. He's about 3 weeks old. We will bring him home at 8-9 weeks.

Wife's new love....Maltipoo.
He will weigh 7-10 lbs and about 10" tall when grown....her lap dog.

No name yet.
View attachment 78995View attachment 78996View attachment 78997View attachment 78998View attachment 78999

Jim
I want one too! I’m just afraid my son’s Belgium Malinois would either eat it or play with it too rough. One day!

This is odd...

So I made chili tonight. Had a nice big bowl and settled in to enjoy the rest of my Saturday evening. About 9:00 I started to feel dizziness, like vertigo, but different. Around 10:00 I got sick to my stomach, but not like normal - I barely threw anything up. It wasn't like my body was trying to get rid of everything in it, it was really weak. 10:30, same thing. And now my guts are settled down, still a little intermittent dizziness, but nothing terrible. My temp is 97.7, blood sugar is OK, blood pressure and pulse are ok...but I'm laying on the bathroom floor because my mind is telling my body not to move. I can move, but it seems like way more effort than what it should take. It's really strange. I'm hoping it was the chili, and not something worse. I'm deathly afraid of gastrointestinal bugs. As a type 1 diabetic, those things can kill me in a few hours. It has almost happened to me twice before. I need to figure out what the hell is going on here...

Dang Spike. Keep us posted as you can. Is your daughter still there with you> Hope she can help out
She is. She can drive me to the nearest ER 10 miles away if necessary, or call 911 if need be.

This feels like vertigo, but not. If I keep my head perfectly still I feel pretty good. I've had Vertigo in the past and it was always worst when I tipped my head back. This hits me when I get upright. It's very weird. But I do have that sensation of everything spinning, to the point of the world moving in front of my eyes and seeming like it resets every time I blink, just like bad Vertigo.

I'm going to try and rest a while...

Had a feel-good moment today. One of the players on my wife's hockey team had their house burned to the ground in the fires that hit here a few weeks ago. They lost everything. The Colorado Avalanche - our local NHL hockey team - bought replacement hockey gear for all the fire victims who had theirs destroyed in the fire. What a nice gesture! So our friend is back on the ice tonight playing hockey with my wife.

This feels like vertigo
Do you have nystagmus? You often see that with vertigo. Have you daughter look into your eyes for involuntary eye twitching, especially as you turn your head to the side (if you can do that without nauseating yourself).

If you do think it's vertigo, you can try taking some Antivert or Dramamine - motion sickness medications - if you have any of those on hand.

Vertigo caused by position changes is usually easy to diagnose and treat. It can be caused by some of the fluid in your ear crystallizing. Then this crystal partially blocks the normal fluid movement that you need to maintain balance. Causing vertigo (and nausea). It may resolve on it's own, or you may benefit from "the Epley maneuver". This is a simple maneuver where you do specific movements - laying down, turning your head to the side, tipping it back, etc. It is best to do this with a partner who holds your head and does the movements for you - you just follow along like a rag doll (often times, a nauseated rag doll). What you're doing is turning and twisting things in such a way as to mimic the path of the fluid ducts in your inner ear. You're trying to flush the crystal our of your inner ear. The maneuver is specific to which ear is affected. But we're way ahead of ourselve here - you don't even know if this is vertigo yet. From your description, it sounds like it however.

Do you have nystagmus? You often see that with vertigo. Have you daughter look into your eyes for involuntary eye twitching, especially as you turn your head to the side (if you can do that without nauseating yourself).

If you do think it's vertigo, you can try taking some Antivert or Dramamine - motion sickness medications - if you have any of those on hand.

Vertigo caused by position changes is usually easy to diagnose and treat. It can be caused by some of the fluid in your ear crystallizing. Then this crystal partially blocks the normal fluid movement that you need to maintain balance. Causing vertigo (and nausea). It may resolve on it's own, or you may benefit from "the Epley maneuver". This is a simple maneuver where you do specific movements - laying down, turning your head to the side, tipping it back, etc. It is best to do this with a partner who holds your head and does the movements for you - you just follow along like a rag doll (often times, a nauseated rag doll). What you're doing is turning and twisting things in such a way as to mimic the path of the fluid ducts in your inner ear. You're trying to flush the crystal our of your inner ear. The maneuver is specific to which ear is affected. But we're way ahead of ourselve here - you don't even know if this is vertigo yet. From your description, it sounds like it however.
I've used that maneuver before. It does work. I had mild to moderate vertigo several years ago and had been doing the maneuver for about two weeks. I was sitting in a hotel hot tub and got the spins when I tipped my head back. So I did the maneuver and something in my left ear popped, and it was gone just like that.

This feels different from that though. I can't really describe it, other than it's like the vertigo I had before, but not...

Today is Sunday, but I decided to make a run to the WM - I really wanted some lemonade but they were out. I was able to get some things on my list be home and have everything put away by 07:30. I'm fixing my breakfast now and then will have to get ready for church....

Will do a video shortly as it is 19 degrees outside. Brrr
Sunday School and Church.
Walk dogs since it should warm up to 55 degrees today.
Try again to get the driver to install for the Rollo thermal printer. It just doesn't want to finish installing.
Staying home and resting for most of the day.

Good morning all 👋🏼
Canning complete. Got some potatoes at grocery outlet the other day. Small but was able to get 3 little bags to can up and put on the shelf. Potatoes seem to be a little harder to come by these days so wanted to get more put away just to be safe. Hope to have some in the garden this year.
Big and little tractors back in working order. Waiting for sun up at this point to heat check cows. While we wait we’re discussing house stuff and the move. Looking at places online and watching videos on YouTube. Learning a lot off suggestions from my friends here. So blessed to have you all.
Hard to be on nights but sure worth it to spend time with my hubby.

Woke up and found the toilet wouldn't flush- no water in the tank. No water from the sink. It was still dark so I waited until daylight to go check. Bc I've felt so lousy I forgot to put Reflectix back up on the shed and the water froze inside the pump. I could see ice on the ground under it. I hope none of the pipes have ruptured. I had to put stainless steel in to the pump because the PVC pipes kept breaking. But, the setup was leaking after the pump guy worked on it.
None of the outlets in there work anymore so I can't plug in a heater. So, now I wait for it to thaw out and hope it still works.

@Spikedriver Your dizzy spells.. Your describing something very similar to my dad's problem... Meniere's Syndrome. The Mayo Clinic has a good write up on it.
------------------------------------------------
Signs and symptoms of Meniere's disease include:

Recurring episodes of vertigo. You have a spinning sensation that starts and stops spontaneously. Episodes of vertigo occur without warning and usually last 20 minutes to several hours, but not more than 24 hours. Severe vertigo can cause nausea.

Hearing loss. Hearing loss in Meniere's disease may come and go, particularly early on. Eventually, most people have some permanent hearing loss.

Ringing in the ear (tinnitus). Tinnitus is the perception of a ringing, buzzing, roaring, whistling or hissing sound in your ear.

Feeling of fullness in the ear. People with Meniere's disease often feel pressure in an affected ear (aural fullness).

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/menieres-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20374910
-------------------------------------------------------

Dad's symptoms aren't always the same, meaning sometimes one symptom might be more pronounced... the next event might be slightly different, a different symptom in the forefront.

And it would always hit dad at the worst times... Once while I was baling hay, dad usually ran the rake. He spent that afternoon laying under a pecan tree in the shade while I ran both tractors. I didn't finish until after dark. Anyway, he was out for the count when it hit... He could do nothing but hug the floor/ground.

He went to a half dozen doctors before he got a diagnosis and treatment. Found a doctor in Memphis who specialized in Menieres. Dad isn't cured but it's controlled so it doesn't lay him up nearly as often and it's milder.

Also, there is one plant (sweet leaf) that will greatly help, and in some case, reverse the nerve degeneration.

@Spikedriver Your dizzy spells.. Your describing something very similar to my dad's problem... Meniere's Syndrome. The Mayo Clinic has a good write up on it.
------------------------------------------------
Signs and symptoms of Meniere's disease include:

Recurring episodes of vertigo. You have a spinning sensation that starts and stops spontaneously. Episodes of vertigo occur without warning and usually last 20 minutes to several hours, but not more than 24 hours. Severe vertigo can cause nausea.

Hearing loss. Hearing loss in Meniere's disease may come and go, particularly early on. Eventually, most people have some permanent hearing loss.

Ringing in the ear (tinnitus). Tinnitus is the perception of a ringing, buzzing, roaring, whistling or hissing sound in your ear.

Feeling of fullness in the ear. People with Meniere's disease often feel pressure in an affected ear (aural fullness).

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/menieres-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20374910
-------------------------------------------------------

Dad's symptoms aren't always the same, meaning sometimes one symptom might be more pronounced... the next event might be slightly different, a different symptom in the forefront.

And it would always hit dad at the worst times... Once while I was baling hay, dad usually ran the rake. He spent that afternoon under a pecan tree in the shade while I ran both tractors. I didn't finish until after dark. Anyway, he was out for the count when it hit... He could do nothing but hug the floor.

He went to a half dozen doctors before he got a diagnosis and treatment. Found a doctor in Memphis who specialized in Menieres. Dad isn't cured but it's controlled so it doesn't lay him up nearly as often and it's milder.
My mom actually has Meneire's disease. Hers is bad enough it'll knock her down for a day or two. It could be that, but something tells me it's different. I can't explain why I feel that way, but I do...

This is odd...

So I made chili tonight. Had a nice big bowl and settled in to enjoy the rest of my Saturday evening. About 9:00 I started to feel dizziness, like vertigo, but different. Around 10:00 I got sick to my stomach, but not like normal - I barely threw anything up. It wasn't like my body was trying to get rid of everything in it, it was really weak. 10:30, same thing. And now my guts are settled down, still a little intermittent dizziness, but nothing terrible. My temp is 97.7, blood sugar is OK, blood pressure and pulse are ok...but I'm laying on the bathroom floor because my mind is telling my body not to move. I can move, but it seems like way more effort than what it should take. It's really strange. I'm hoping it was the chili, and not something worse. I'm deathly afraid of gastrointestinal bugs. As a type 1 diabetic, those things can kill me in a few hours. It has almost happened to me twice before. I need to figure out what the hell is going on here...
Spike, those are IDENTICAL SYMPTOMS my Aunt had when she had a stroke! you better go get looked at quick! you're too young for a cane OR a wheelchair!

Spike, those are IDENTICAL SYMPTOMS my Aunt had when she had a stroke! you better go get looked at quick! you're too young for a cane OR a wheelchair!
I had no other stroke symptoms though - no cognitive impairment, no facial drooping, no problems with walking, no weakness in either hand or arm, no nothing. It did cross my mind, so I ran a quick check on myself with my daughter observing.

She didn't either bro.
I get what you're saying, and I'm not dismissing it. But given the symptoms in total, and the fact that I got a clean bill of health at the doctor on Friday, I'll continue to monitor and observe for now. And I am first aid trained, not an expert like a paramedic or anything, more like a first responder, but I've had this kind of thing drilled into me in yearly training for the last 10 years, so I do have a little knowledge. I'm monitoring it and I'm not alone, so I do have assistance if necessary.

Ok man, you know your body best.. :)

On a side note, what would you advise for building a first response kit?
The guy at the ambulance station told me buy a basic one, cram it in a tool box and start building around it.

Ok man, you know your body best.. :)

On a side note, what would you advise for building a first response kit?
The guy at the ambulance station told me buy a basic one, cram it in a tool box and start building around it.
Umm. I'm probably not best qualified to answer. But to me first aid kits are for physical trauma, and not health issues like heart attacks or strokes. For those you get professionals to the victim ASAP. I keep aspirin, Tylenol, and Ibuprofen in mine, plus an assortment of bandages and first aid tape. Surgical gloves, gauze pads. I need to get some quick clot. I've meant to do that for a while and I keep forgetting. Those little safety scissors. Bug bite wipes, poison ivy wipes. A scalpel can be useful, but I don't carry one. Tweezers and a toenail clipper.

The pre made ones can help. I don't have room in my pack for one though. I keep things pretty basic because I don't have advanced skills. Knowledge is probably most important, because with a sharp knife you can improvise a lot of things for first aid. I need to work on my knowledge...

Edit to add: I think there's actually a thread about this somewhere here. I'll see if I can find it...

Last edited:
Spike, I hope it was just a reaction to something in the chili instead of something more serious.

Water thawed out so its running again, but when I'm feeling better I'll have to get the insulation back up. It's a metal shed so I have to use tape but tape doesn't want to stick when its cold. Tried magnets but they were too weak.

For now I'm staying warm under the covers surrounded by kitties. Guts aren't feeling too good today.

Latest posts

Back