What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Possibly. I think I may have aspirated some food/water when I choked on my food awhile back and it caused bronchitis, but I constantly have allergies as well. Mucus is not making my life easier & is going through my guts. Been taking Mucinex to break it up. It's supposed to help me cough it up but I haven't been coughing any of it up. It's been going straight down.

My cat Boo says Hi. He's climbing on me right now.

What kind of pup did you get?

Actually wife's pup.
We won't get it for about 5 weeks, it's only 3 weeks old.

Maltipoo.

Screenshot_20220122-165900.png
Screenshot_20220122-170038.png

Jim

@phideaux, I've waited to say something, because I hoped time would provide me with the right thing to say. But there simply isn't a right thing to say for what you're going through. I am so, so sorry for your loss.

Yesterday my DH and I were driving to the farm, feeling a little stressed out about all the things we need to get done. I read your post out loud to him - and suddenly our perspective is changed. We know we are blessed to driving down the road feeling a little stressed about all we need to get done, and we are grateful. It can all change on a dime.

We prayed for both families, and for you and yours as well. And we will keep you all in our prayers.

@phideaux, I've waited to say something, because I hoped time would provide me with the right thing to say. But there simply isn't a right thing to say for what you're going through. I am so, so sorry for your loss.

Yesterday my DH and I were driving to the farm, feeling a little stressed out about all the things we need to get done. I read your post out loud to him - and suddenly our perspective is changed. We know we are blessed to driving down the road feeling a little stressed about all we need to get done, and we are grateful. It can all change on a dime.

We prayed for both families, and for you and yours as well. And we will keep you all in our prayers.

@goshengirl , I appreciate your concern and prayers.

Yes , things were just fine last Thursday, then Friday morning my good friend didn't wake up.
He had been sick for sometime but was doing pretty good. Not surprised.

I was very upset about it and his wife and family were just so upset.

Then later in the day I got a call from a friend that my friend and his wife and granddaughter were in the RV when it caught on fire and there was an explosion.

Waited forever to hear how they were.
Then it came , wife and granddaughter didn't make it. We were very close to the granddaughter . Devastating.

You are so right.
Our lives changed drastically in one day. Our lives will never be the same.
Wednesday it's gonna be hard ...a double funeral.
I don't know how my friend is gonna make it, after 60 years married.

Cherish your friends and family. It could all be gone overnight.

Jim

Good evening y’all! I am over the moon right now. Have been all evening.
We have a realtor!!! Now we know what the next steps are in this grand adventure! Some of the nicest people! (hopefully a certain person doesn’t read this or I’ll be blushing forever) It was all I had to actually hang up the phone. I miss good people! Felt so comfortable taking to them. To know our dreams could really come true. I have hope for the future and feel like this could actually be a reality now! So many uncertainties cleared up. It‘s not just looking at properties now. We will actually (hopefully) be able to make an offer. Next step is getting the financing stuff squared away (didn’t know it’s ok to do that beforehand) so we can take the next step. We WILL be ready when our dream property comes up.
Went to town and was able to get everything except for milk and cheese. None to be found at the stores I went too. Picked up so,e potatoes to can and put away and some celery to FD for future use. Also “scored“ some cabbage. Going to attempt sauerkraut again now that the weather is colder.
Barely made it home before hubby left for work but did get to fill him in on the move info. He’d already done most of the chores so I may process another harvest moon and get the celery ready for the FD’er.
Hope y’all had a great day! Don’t mind me.just over here dreaming about freedom and happiness
Congratulations!

Some people I know rescued a little yip dog from somewhere. Tried all sorts of cute names for him. I jokingly said "I bet his name is Killer". He looked at me. I started calling "Killer!" and he responded. So, little yip dog was named Killer. People kept thinking it was their pit bull named Killer. Nope, little dog.

Jim, it is just so tragic. There aren't words for it. I hope the new puppy will help with the emotional healing.

Mo! It's great to hear from you! How're you doing?

I'm still tired but got in a lot of sleep. Cooked twice for Mom. She's not feeling so great right now. Went outside briefly to search for something in the truck. Some kind of critter is in a garbage bag outside. I think maybe a possum. My dog was barking up a storm at it and I saw it moving inside the bag and heard it growling. Could have been a raccoon too. Not sure which, but it was not happy. Hope it won't get stuck in there and freeze to death.

Kitties have piled on me for the night and I'm about to get some sleep again. Hoping I'll feel better in the morning.

Our home-building has been quite an experience. Spent about two years drawing out ideas on graph paper - but seeing it go from 2D to 3D is pretty amazing. One thing that was important to me was to have a lot of windows on the back side of the house - so we could see the wildlife, see the changing sky, and to simply enjoy the view. One thing I never thought of was the southern winter light. It is simply beautiful coming through the windows. We are so blessed that we will be able to enjoy this amazing winter light. The photo doesn't do it justice.
post to HCL.jpg

It is cold. Warmed up here to 20 degrees, and that's as good as it gets today. Went into the bigger town today for our tax appt, went to Aldi and stocked up, but there were tons of empty holes. I bought a half cart of pantry food, but the other half was fresh food. Sale on cherries, grapes, and strawberries. All favorites. Grocery put away, and the grandkids will be home, soon. Need to work on the bathroom yet. Sad news for my cousin's daughter. She got worse last night, is in the hospital (covid and pneumonia) and I heard that they have her o2 as high as they can without ventilating her. I know it's not the prayer thread, but prayers for
Ellen Schrock, please. Wife of an amish minister (Nathan), and mother of five.
Prayers went up

My favorite cousin's grandson bred his Jack Russell terrier with a miniature poodle. Jackapoo. They are three weeks old and adorable. Five of them.
Jack Russell terriers are such fun dogs. A friend has a Jack Russell / chihuahua mix. It is so fast. When it gets to the dog park, it takes off running, and all the other dogs take off chasing it. Evidently they are high energy dogs.

Not a good day for me and my wife.
A really good friend I go to church with , died in his sleep this morning.

Later in the day a good friend that lost his house to the tornado, was living in an RV , a propane heater caused a fire then an explosion , he made it out, his dear wife and 18 year old grandughter did not.
The girl always called me papa , she was like my own , and so beautiful and so smart.
I'm devastated.
Heart broke.

Got 3 funerals in next few days.
Please pray for the Culp family and the Mays family.

Jim
So sorry for the loss of your friends Jim, Mrs. Jim.
Prayers goings out for both of you.
And for the families of Culp and Mays.

Our home-building has been quite an experience. Spent about two years drawing out ideas on graph paper - but seeing it go from 2D to 3D is pretty amazing. One thing that was important to me was to have a lot of windows on the back side of the house - so we could see the wildlife, see the changing sky, and to simply enjoy the view. One thing I never thought of was the southern winter light. It is simply beautiful coming through the windows. We are so blessed that we will be able to enjoy this amazing winter light. The photo doesn't do it justice.
View attachment 79065
That looks beautiful!

This is odd...

So I made chili tonight. Had a nice big bowl and settled in to enjoy the rest of my Saturday evening. About 9:00 I started to feel dizziness, like vertigo, but different. Around 10:00 I got sick to my stomach, but not like normal - I barely threw anything up. It wasn't like my body was trying to get rid of everything in it, it was really weak. 10:30, same thing. And now my guts are settled down, still a little intermittent dizziness, but nothing terrible. My temp is 97.7, blood sugar is OK, blood pressure and pulse are ok...but I'm laying on the bathroom floor because my mind is telling my body not to move. I can move, but it seems like way more effort than what it should take. It's really strange. I'm hoping it was the chili, and not something worse. I'm deathly afraid of gastrointestinal bugs. As a type 1 diabetic, those things can kill me in a few hours. It has almost happened to me twice before. I need to figure out what the hell is going on here...
I had a student who had diabetes. One day he started vomiting. I knew that with a diabetic, this can get serious fast. Other students went out to recess and I went to the office to get his contact information and to use the phone. I called everyone on his contact card and no one answered their phones, because they were all out to lunch together. I called his doctor and explained what was going on and asked what to do. His response was to give him a spoonful of coke every 10 minutes, or something similar. (25+ years ago). Finally, his parents got home from lunch, called the school and came to get him.

I had a student who had diabetes. One day he started vomiting. I knew that with a diabetic, this can get serious fast. Other students went out to recess and I went to the office to get his contact information and to use the phone. I called everyone on his contact card and no one answered their phones, because they were all out to lunch together. I called his doctor and explained what was going on and asked what to do. His response was to give him a spoonful of coke every 10 minutes, or something similar. (25+ years ago). Finally, his parents got home from lunch, called the school and came to get him.
I understand what that doc was trying to do, but...

Before you treat a diabetic like that, you need to know his/her blood glucose reading. Did the kid have any other symptoms? Had he just taken his insulin? Vomiting can be from either high or low glucose. Adding more glucose to a high is dangerous. Now, if you don't have any way to test glucose, as a last resort sugar can be given but the patient needs to be checked ASAP. My old endocrinologist explained it this way: High blood sugar will kill you over a little time. Low blood sugar can kill you right now. If the patient is still conscious and has any symptoms of low blood sugar, and you have no way to test their blood, give about 15 carbs and get medical attention. If glucose is actually high, they'll fix it at the ER. If no medical service is available, wait 20-25 minutes after the first 15 carbs and if no improvement, give 10-15 more.

Perhaps one of our medical professional forum members can explain this better than me.

Goshengirl, looks great!

I'm awake because of the news my friend's gf (now ex) totally screwed herself by cheating on him again but made the mistake of taking the baby with her and the baby ratted her out by calling my friend's phone with the gf's phone and friend overheard the gf lying to her side piece and plotting to get my friend arrested for domestic violence (but my friend had proof that she's the violent one and showed it to the cops).

I hope you get feeling better soon, Mo.

Hi everybody.
Just checking in.
Jim contacted me earlier.
Been ill.
I go back to Doctor tomorrow.
You guys been busy.
Me been pretty much wiped out.
Sleeping a lot.
Guess I needed it though.
No COVID here.
Getting ready for bed, got early pick up tomorrow.
Also battery needs recharged too.

Prayers for a speedy recovery. You are missed here. Glad you checked in.

More freezing fog again today and 12 degs. May get up to 15 or so later. Other than chores I didn't do much of anything yesterday.
We didn't get our diesel delivery last week, the truck couldn't make it in, so they're going to try again this week. I'm going to go out soon and warm up the tractor and plow the road. The problem with this fog is its hard to see where the side of the road is and where the drop off begins. Much of my road (3 miles) is fairly steep and narrow. Last week the propane truck slid off a culvert and almost went over.
We've had a lot of fog this year, more than normal.

2 1/2 hours and 2,666 screws , cams , bolts , drawer slides, and 666 pieces of doors , frames etc..
But it looks nice!

Did a video this morning.
Started laundry
Thawing chicken to make and pressure can Buffalo Chicken Chili tomorrow.
Going to get deer meat from friend (except sausage) in a few minutes. I have no idea how much I am bringing home!

I'm trying to wake myself up. Cold and cloudy outside. I see water dripping so it may be raining. I promised my friend I'd bring him some medicine though. So I need to go pick it up for him and maybe grab another salad and check mail. Feel like garbage.

Dogs and cats hogging my bed right now so I hate to disturb them, but I need to take my medicine and get up.

Local small government office, broomed the snow off their solar panels. Shoveled their sidewalk too. Save taxpayer money instead of hiring the work.

Shoveled the part of my driveway that’s concrete.

Fixed my lunch.

Watched the move Blackthorn.

Read the agenda and studied the reports for tomorrow‘s Board meeting.

Thinking about taking a nap before I get the Mail.

Latest posts

Back