What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husband and the two granddaughters and I are picking up mom this morning and taking her for her fasting bloodwork. I hope she does not eat breakfast before we get there. I reminded her (which I know she's forgotten) and I reminded the nursing staff where she lives. She has a doc appt Monday, so we need the bloodwork before. Then we're taking her out to breakfast. I want to stop in the salvage store near where mom lives afterwards. If it's not horribly hot this afternoon, I need to get some plants in the ground. Little granddaughter got out the inflatable pool yesterday, so I'm sure she'll be doing some soaking. Grandson starts his summer job today. In about an hour. I still don't hear him up.

The AC guy showed up on time... He checked the system and verified what I had expected. When he got finished between the service call, the hours on site, and the refrigerant; I'm out just short of a grand. But now the system is working better and I have all the information I need to get the supplies I need to maintain it in the future. I had all the tools but 1 and I know which supplies I would need to finish doing the job myself in the future.

In 5 years the company has tripled their labor and service call rates. The mark up on the refrigerant 100%, based on what I can buy it for online. I have noticed a lot of new window AC units being installed this year, I think my experience explains that....

If you raise prices enough you reach a point where people make changes to how they do things.

I've been pretty worthless today. I've been struggling to keep my blood glucose levels steady since midnight. Some days are just like that.

I've got a crap ton of laundry to do this afternoon and then some piddling around the place too. I'm starting to cross shop new cars as well. I'm debating how long I should wait before buying. I'm putting almost $1000/month in savings for it but at that rate it'll be around 15 more months before I can buy one outright. But what will inflation do in that time? On the other hand, interest is still pretty low if I were to get a 15,000 loan, and it's only going to go up between now and then. If I can lock it in, it's actually not a bad deal. I just hate car payments though...

I've been pretty worthless today. I've been struggling to keep my blood glucose levels steady since midnight. Some days are just like that.

I've got a crap ton of laundry to do this afternoon and then some piddling around the place too. I'm starting to cross shop new cars as well. I'm debating how long I should wait before buying. I'm putting almost $1000/month in savings for it but at that rate it'll be around 15 more months before I can buy one outright. But what will inflation do in that time? On the other hand, interest is still pretty low if I were to get a 15,000 loan, and it's only going to go up between now and then. If I can lock it in, it's actually not a bad deal. I just hate car payments though...
Sorry to hear about your blood sugar. That’s never fun.
What if you get the loan and take that $1000 and pay it down so it’s paid off in 15-16 months? Interest shouldn’t be as bad that way since you’re paying extra on principal, you might even save in the long run due to inflation.

Sorry to hear about your blood sugar. That’s never fun.
What if you get the loan and take that $1000 and pay it down so it’s paid off in 15-16 months? Interest shouldn’t be as bad that way since you’re paying extra on principal, you might even save in the long run due to inflation.
I've thought about that. In reality the car payment would be 350 to 400/month so the payment to principal would be 600 or a little more. But then again I like to put some cash away every month, regardless of inflation. I try to keep a cushion in savings along with 10k in checking. So let's just say I could pull 17k from savings now for a down payment and have less than 1k left, and then borrow 15k, that leaves me trying to rebuild some savings too. So let's take 250 a month out of that 600 toward principal, to put back in savings. Now I'm just making a double payment. And if something happens like a job loss I'm still stuck with the car payment.

I'm a believer in patience, and saving up the money to make big purchases. The inflation is just throwing a kink into that right now. I'm not sure what works out best at 8% inflation, continuing to put money away or borrowing at much less than 8%...

Heard some commotion upstairs and the wife was totally shaken, it seems our daughter came across the country to take some of her stuff home and visit her sick mom.... She has rented a van and will be trying to travel back to Wyoming starting sometime this weekend (Sunday?). I know she doesn't have much funds available and I assume she will be leaving the East Coast traveling along the I-70. I would love to find a way to help her get home safely.

Heard some commotion upstairs and the wife was totally shaken, it seems our daughter came across the country to take some of her stuff home and visit her sick mom.... She has rented a van and will be trying to travel back to Wyoming starting sometime this weekend (Sunday?). I know she doesn't have much funds available and I assume she will be leaving the East Coast traveling along the I-70. I would love to find a way to help her get home safely.
send me a pm if you want my phone number, I can do backup/rescue/overwatch in ohio/east indiana.

Can you set up a way to track her on your phone? That plus a regular check in schedule should provide at least a bit of peace of mind...

I've always been under the impression that I could not donate blood because I'm a Type 1 diabetic. Today I learned that the blood center nearest me will accept my blood. Now I'm trying to find out my blood type. It's not in any of my medical records that I can find, not on my birth certificate either. The hospital where I was born has been shut down for 20 years so no joy there either. Anybody know where I can find that info?

I've always been under the impression that I could not donate blood because I'm a Type 1 diabetic. Today I learned that the blood center nearest me will accept my blood. Now I'm trying to find out my blood type. It's not in any of my medical records that I can find, not on my birth certificate either. The hospital where I was born has been shut down for 20 years so no joy there either. Anybody know where I can find that info?
I thought they did that right at the blood donation center or bus!??

Ben is doing his happy dance!

The replacement router arrived and helped trouble shoot our networking issues. I will spare the boring details but it looks like we had a bad surge protecting power strip and a bad battery backup.

Since it us running off the original router I do NOT have to configure the 11 Rokus, PCs, repeaters and cell phones to run on a new network. I also have a hot spare router incase of another incident. Since The Princess works from home having a hot tested spare in a good thing.

I am happy.

Ben

I wanted to know mine a while back, so I got a test off of Amazon: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JFTSPMW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Finish organizing stuff in the pantry. Moving lighter stuff to the new shelves I put in and opening up the steel rack for heavy stuff. Made a list to start filling it out more, plus more supplies for a couple more LT storage buckets.

Did dishes and now I'ze cookin' dinner for the princess. Butterflied drumsticks with my homemade rub, macaroni salad and beans.

Last edited:
I thought they did that right at the blood donation center or bus!??
They can, but they won't know the results of the test right away, and they're not required to share that info with you, although it will be in the records for when you donate the next time. I just thought it might be some good info to have for my medical records at my practitioner office...

They can, but they won't know the results of the test right away, and they're not required to share that info with you, although it will be in the records for when you donate the next time. I just thought it might be some good info to have for my medical records at my practitioner office...
It was stamped on our dog tags.

O neg

Ben

If they want your blood they can tell you. Even 30 years ago it was a drop of blood on a card. Instant. Strange they are making it difficult.
It's my understanding that they don't do the test until after the donation. The blood normally goes into storage for a few days and any testing is done then. I'm pretty sure that sometime in the past I saw that my blood is O+ which fits with my Pops being A+. I don't have access to Mom's type, and she doesn't know. I'm sure the nursing home might have it on file...

My fatigue has had me out for a bit and then I discovered I could watch some of the newer Star Trek shows online. I binge-watched on Monday. Tuesday was spent taking older dogs to the vet. Yesterday was Mom's eye doctor appointment. I had to run into Walmart to get stuff while she sat in the truck. I parked her in the shade which meant more walking in the heat for me. Met my friend at the gas station to fill his car up. Got hugs in return. He didn't have enough gas to go to work until his paycheck lands & I know he's been struggling with his health.

I went to bed before 6pm. Woke up after 2pm today. Took the puppies for a walk but they gave up and went inside long before I did. I was walking in the shade. Cow came over so I petted her and sang her favorite lullaby. I'm still tired and my brain is not working.

Mewlatto is stretched out on my chest napping. I'm getting cat fur up my nose. LOL. (I'm lying back and lifting my head to see my screen).

Went to vote. I always vote early. Picked up my medication at the pharmacy. Then I bought a mammoth jalapeño pepper and a red bell pepper.

Then I planted the peppers and moved four volunteer tomatoes. Volunteers tomatoes are generally welcome here...but not in the garlic bed lol.

Last edited:
@Spikedriver makes sense on the car payment. I hear you on not wanting a lot of debt. We will be getting there (finally) this month. As far as your blood type, I'm not sure what happens in the outpatient setting, seems it should be in your medical records at some point in case of emergency, you can always ask your primary care doc to send a request to lab to have it run. During trauma situations/mass transfusions when the blood type isn't known, we give O negative (universal donor). If you are O positive, that is usually the most requested blood type for transfusion. I believe it's also the most common blood type, I am also O+
@Neb your tech sounds like ours, a bunch of Rokus and all sorts of stuff. Can hardly wait to move into our RV full time and just contend with 2 cell phones and a Roku. Haha!

@Spikedriver makes sense on the...

+
@Neb your tech sounds like ours, a bunch of Rokus and all sorts of stuff. Can hardly wait to move into our RV full time and just contend with 2 cell phones and a Roku. Haha!

That is The Princess all over.

Set brag mode
She had a masters in information science at 23. I found her in a computer room where she managed and old mainframe computer system. Our dirst valentine day date I took her on a tour of the Pitt 2.5 acre computer room since I had an access key to get in. She once had multiple servers under her desk in these basement office and three phone lines into the house. When internet was starting to be deployed she was one of the first to sign up with and our connection designation ended in "1". She has pets that are all floor cleaning robots. She has a Roku on every TV in the house.

But the bottom line she is a hobbit that survives in a high tech world.

Ben

Phone problems fixed.
Seems someone hit telephone pole knocked out my Internet.
Then for some reason wires going underground were run over by lawnmower.
Then some how the weed eater got a hold of the same wires.
Someone got a charge and not in a good way.
But for now it's fixed of sorts.
Middle sister and her husband got back to Texas.
Dad is finally calmed down. Whew!
No Internet means been reading books for the most part.
Catching up on school work.
Looking at next semester classes.
Only taking 6-9 hours this semester.
Been walking about 2 miles a day.
Garden has taking off.
Green beans have a few blooms.

Took husband to the nursing home to see his mom. They moved her back from hospital. She was in hospital under physical therapy and she flat out refused to do it. Now they can’t keep her. The broken leg will likely never mend and cannot be repaired. She will never walk again. Came home, decided to check squash. 5 ready, checked green beans, wow, picked 2 rows and probably have3-4 gallons. 2 more rows for tomorrow, other 3 rows are blooming. Tomorrow I am teaching a life skills class to graduating seniors. 45 minutes per group from 8:30-11:30. Planning on discussing small tool box to have, ironing clothes for interview, church, wedding or funeral, and sewing kit as well as them sewing on a button. 8th grade grand has graduation tomorrow night, Saturday morning teaching canning for life hacks at a church. Bought $12.00 worth of carrots to pc. Now with green beans, I will take another canner with me. Was told it is a big gas stove. Saturday night going to band banquet with another grand who is a senior. Scholarship program last night and she got 4. Maybe I should go to bed now. Fixed shower handle and cabinet door today too. Looks like another broody hen so gave her 7 eggs extra. Piano at Methodist church Sunday. I may be off of here til next week.

Went to the grocery store and bought some meat. 1 ribeye, 2 new York strips, 1 lb 80% ground beef, a 2lb chicken breast, and 3/4 lb of shaved deli ham cost over $50...

Took the kid to dance practice tonight. Next week is her recital. It's also finals for the spring semester and she's kind of stressed out.

By contrast, I'm just chilling. Watching a WWII documentary on the Newsmax 2 channel. Hopefully going to sleep well tonight...

Phone problems fixed.
Seems someone hit telephone pole knocked out my Internet.
Then for some reason wires going underground were run over by lawnmower.
Then some how the weed eater got a hold of the same wires.
Someone got a charge and not in a good way.
But for now it's fixed of sorts.
Middle sister and her husband got back to Texas.
Dad is finally calmed down. Whew!
No Internet means been reading books for the most part.
Catching up on school work.
Looking at next semester classes.
Only taking 6-9 hours this semester.
Been walking about 2 miles a day.
Garden has taking off.
Green beans have a few blooms.
Good to see you Mo. My beans are 4-6 inches tall 😊 Might be nice for your dad to have a little less stimulation.

Latest posts

Back