What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just cleaned and sliced 12 pounds of carrots to can tomorrow as Life Hack at church. Will snap and wash beans tonight I hope after graduation. Used food processor to slice. First time to use to slice. Still have 4 pounds of babies but may can them intact. Did program at high school this morning. Awesome kids. Some just as silly as they were in elementary. Took a water pistol from one. They “pranked” high school last night. Somehow someone didn’t shut door tight. Ordinal plan was fill hall with balloons. Decided instead to toilet paper, confetti and glitter the halls. Chalked sidewalks. TP trees and shoe polish windows and doors. Moved all picnic tables in front of doors. Administration was not happy and kept pulling kids out to clean up.

Or at least their consorts'. ;)

Sorry, that struck me as unreasonably funny. Too many "oh my" mysteries solved on the genealogical chart via DNA....
Oh yes! I have a friend who did a DNA and the father who raised her is not her biological father. He is for her older and younger siblings, but not for her!

In regards to finding out my blood type, the plot thickens...

I called the medical records department of the hospital where my lab work was done for 20 years. They told me that blood type is never tested as a standard there, unless there is a need for it, i.e. a transfusion or other similar event, or if you donate blood. So I guess I'll either get it done when I give blood, or I'll get the little test kit. Apparently you can get those from CVS, or online...
Didn't you get a blood test when you got married?

I am bushed my buddy that used to rent the other side of our house when he stopped in today. I talked him into going through piles of stuff that he left here when he moved to the house he inherited from his mother. Got eid of a bunch of stuff. It was great!

Ben

Yesterday and this morning were a blur. We had the AC repaired in the morning, then just after the AC guy left the daughter from WY showed up, she flew across the country showed up without giving us any warning. The wife went into hysterics and it was almost an hour before she could regain her composure. the daughter rented a van and wanted to load up all her stuff, things like an old ceder chest, books, clothes, and nick knacks. Well everything is loaded and she is on the road hoping to cover 1700 miles in 30 hours.

The house looks like a bomb went off, wrapping paper, boxes, stuff in disarray, and everyone is worn out. I had planned to work in the garden today but that will have to wait a day.

Yesterday and this morning were a blur. We had the AC repaired in the morning, then just after the AC guy left the daughter from WY showed up, she flew across the country showed up without giving us any warning. The wife went into hysterics and it was almost an hour before she could regain her composure. the daughter rented a van and wanted to load up all her stuff, things like an old ceder chest, books, clothes, and nick knacks. Well everything is loaded and she is on the road hoping to cover 1700 miles in 30 hours.

The house looks like a bomb went off, wrapping paper, boxes, stuff in disarray, and everyone is worn out. I had planned to work in the garden today but that will have to wait a day.
Kids!

Ben

Do they make people get blood tests for marriage these days?

I'm trying to cool off. AC isn't working. Cooler part of the house says it's 87°.

If it cools off more, I'm tempted to go to the store and buy some ice (icemaker doesn't work) to put in the failing freezer to keep stuff cold longer.

Watched the latest episode of Star Trek: Discovery. I'm liking that series.

I don't recall a blood test 30+ years ago, but the memory may have vanished.

Backyard neighbor had 2 AC trucks in his driveway for 2 days, and this morning his back gutter is off the house. have to catch him tomorrow before the rain hits again to see if he needs help.

Should have today, but the next door neighbor needed help and I have a mirgaine, I hate spring.

Last edited:
Also if you have had a CDL, blood type was tied in with it at the DMV.
I know lots of CDL drivers.......this is not true. How in the heck woud the DMV have access to that information? It is protected by HIPAA and CDL drivers do not have to give a blood sample to get a CDL, so that statement makes zero sense to me.

Hey @Spikedriver Since you're new to the game, a word of advice. . .
1653101133636.png

I know lots of CDL drivers.......this is not true. How in the heck woud the DMV have access to that information? It is protected by HIPAA and CDL drivers do not have to give a blood sample to get a CDL, so that statement makes zero sense to me.
It may be just from the 'old days'.
But everyone I knew that got a CDL had to have a Full physical first and the info turned over to the DMV. My first CDL listed my blood type on it.
My question to you is: do you think that information just evaporated at the DMV?
They call me and ask about cars I owned 30 years ago, so my guess is no.
They save everything!
Oh, and I hate to burst your bubble, but when it comes to the government having your info, HIPAA means nothing. :mad:

Last edited:
We didn't have to do blood tests and we married in 83.
I have RH negative A blood. I get Rhogam shots.
I've heard about blood tests before you get married, but hubby and I never actually got married!😉😮 30 years later it's still working great! Last time he asked was about a month ago!❤️

I've heard about blood tests before you get married, but hubby and I never actually got married!😉😮 30 years later it's still working great! Last time he asked was about a month ago!❤
I had to get one both times I got married to get the license.
They were only testing for syphilis.

Didn't you get a blood test when you got married?
Every state is different. I know Michigan used to require a blood test. Nevada does not, and I am pretty sure Utah does not require a blood test.

It may be just from the 'old days'.
But everyone I knew that got a CDL had to have a Full physical first and the info turned over to the DMV. My first CDL listed my blood type on it.

I suspect every state has different requirements for CDL's. There are Federal requirements but states can require more if they think it will make everyone safer or if they think it will make someone they know more money. You know, like clinics that specialize in giving medical exams to truck drivers.

Friday night, worked my 4 hour shift and talked myself into driving to the outskirts of town to fill up the truck at the reservation gas station because they have the 2nd lowest prices and it is closer than costco. I didn't want to but I wanted to avoid the next price increase and save a few bucks. Well, my mind wandered a bit and I didn't slow down in time for the 30mph zone. When I saw the headlights turn on from the SUV parked on the other side of the road I knew exactly who it belonged to. 🚓🚨👮‍♂️ When the pretty red and blue lights came on I pulled over, rolled down all four windows, grabbed my wallet and set it on the dash, put one hand out the window and the other on top of the steering wheel....... and waited. Not sure what took him so long to come up the my truck, I used to get there in about 6 or 7 seconds. Anyways, he walked up on the passenger side, let me know I was doing 45 in a 30 and asked for my license. Before he walked back to his car I politely asked if I should mention I am a retired Police Officer. He politely said "No." Which is fine, rules are for everyone and if the officer wants to write a ticket I wont argue or be upset (at him). About 5 minutes later he came back, handed me my license and said something similar to "Have a good night, just watch your speed." I thanked him, said I usually do the speed limit or a little under but I was still arguing with myself about going for fuel and even though I wanted to be going home straight from work I also wanted to beat the next 25 cent price increase. He laughed and then we had a pleasant conversation. He asked where I used to work, said he used to live in the area I patrolled, and asked me if I wanted to join the department. I laughed, said "Sorry, I am tired of dealing with people." He laughed and said he understood but the small town he works for is very friendly towards the police and they use a "Community Police" attitude and after he explained that I realized they are not into writing lots of tickets or arresting lots of people, they simply try to explain why it is better to follow the rules so you can avoid getting into trouble.
Top notch experience. And, as I am proof reading this I decided I am going to cut and past it into an email to the Chief Of Police to compliment the Officer and his very professional attitude. I know the few times I was handed those letters I played it down and said I was just doing my job but I was thinking of sending an email after the stop anyways so I will use this casual write up as the basis of my complimentary email.

For the record, since I moved to Utah I make every effort to drive the speed limit, use my turn signals, and not tailgate. And, on my way home at night I usually drive 55 in the 65 because you never know when a deer will run across the highway and I can't afford to repair any damage, or replace airbags, on my truck. I knew the road through the old part of town was 30mpg and I was about to slow down, what I didn't see to remind me was the speed limit sign a couple hundred yards before I passed the cop, simply because my mind was wandering due to no other traffic on the road.

OK, had a couple drinks and it is almost time for bed. Guess I have to take a quick shower first, worked up a sweat at work. Not because I was working hard, but because I wear a back brace and my lower back was sweating like crazy. OK, TMI, sweet dreams.

My favorite cousin and her daughter want to go Walmarting and fill carts. And they like to go at O dark thirty, because, I swear, they never sleep. (but they do nap). So I am downing a cup of coffee and going to go pick them up and be their driver this morning.
Hope you beat the Saturday crowd!!

I'm home today, waiting on the cold front. Doing laundry, may get some morning storms so I have to watch before I hang clothes out! Need to do some cleaning and will cook some chicken breasts and freeze them for various meals. Also making chicken salad for sandwiches and potato salad. Have a list a mile long so keep busy. Watching the Preakness later!

This morning I started to do what I had planned for yesterday, picked up some groceries, stopped at HD to fill the bed of the truck with mulch and such. As I was driving home I noticed my volt gauge was down around 12V (not a great sign), turned off the AC (no change), as I got to the house I could smell a roofer working (No roofer in sight), parked the truck and opened the hood, no roofer but the smell was there and the alternator was to hot for me to touch. I'm glad the truck is home and all the chores I needed to do with it are done because it's not moving till I replace the alternator....

I need to get back to my normally scheduled programming... I have spinach to harvest.

Hey at least the house is cool and I have removed a lot of stuff that was being stored here.

This morning I started to do what I had planned for yesterday, picked up some groceries, stopped at HD to fill the bed of the truck with mulch and such. As I was driving home I noticed my volt gauge was down around 12V (not a great sign), turned off the AC (no change), as I got to the house I could smell a roofer working (No roofer in sight), parked the truck and opened the hood, no roofer but the smell was there and the alternator was to hot for me to touch. I'm glad the truck is home and all the chores I needed to do with it are done because it's not moving till I replace the alternator....

I need to get back to my normally scheduled programming... I have spinach to harvest.

Hey at least the house is cool and I have removed a lot of stuff that was being stored here.
Always nice to make it home with vehicle problems!!

Always nice to make it home with vehicle problems!!
Yep, the last time this happened to me I was going from Tucson to Colorado Springs and the alternator went out in New Mexico, I had tools so I removed the part and did a foot tour of Santa Fe carrying an alternator. 3 auto parts and a chevy dealership later I had the part and was walking back to the van... It was August and it really didn't endure me to Santa Fe.......

But I was able to install the part and make the rest of the trip home safely. FYI, the wife and 3 kids were with the van while I was taking my walk... The wife did have a patrolman stop to complain about me parking on the side of the frontage road, but she told hem that the flames kind of limited my choices... He left without offering any help or assistance.... Like I said, the experience really didn't endure Santa Fe to me or my family...

Latest posts

Back