What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sitting here in my wing back chair covered waist down in one of the ugliest blankets I have ever crochet.
But it's warm, it's made of leftover pieces of yarn.
Right now I'm ignoring Strawberry, she's been let out twice in 30 minutes to take care business.
Nah da didn't do anything. So now we do the waiting game.
In 3 or 5 minutes I'll let her out again, this time she'll take care of business.
Heard her bounce on Estelle's toddler bed a while ago, she's hid a bone under the pillow.
Sitting here crocheting another shawl in daughter in laws favorite colors.
At least I like this pattern better the other pattern and colors.
Maybe she will get matching hat, fingerless gloves too.
No Estelle today.

Steaming hot here today and expected to reach 37 oc later this afternoon. Until then I am sitting in the lounge room with the front door open enjoying the cool breeze coming through.

So far this morning we have mulched most of the front gardens with beetroot leaves from our harvest on Friday as well as grass clippings. Still got 2 more herb and rose gardens to mulch but have to wait for DH to mow lawns again so we have more grass clippings.

Then into the kitchen where we packed up the buffet unit containing batteries, paperwork, a few tools and our tablecloths etc. We found things we completely forgot about but all good they are in boxes now. Taking a break now and DH is due for me to wake him up from his nap shortly, the cat is as usual curled up beside him on top of the covers.

I've needed to go grocery shopping since last Thursday... Guess I have to tomorrow... I hate shopping... if starvation wasn't the alternative I'd never go in a grocery store.

I need socks, lots of socks. I just used heavy bleach on all my wally tube socks, didn't get the stains out. Time to buy another 18 pairs and start over... (its the white ones with grey bottoms). I have to buy a new batch every couple of years. I could just buy a pair of slippers but then I'd have to buy a pipe... I hate pipes... ;)

Round 2 of today is we went to town and posted 2 sales I had on eBay, went to the bank and banked some cash, went to the hardware store and purchased 10 more moving boxes and got 2 jerry cans of fuel for our garden machinery.

Back home where DH stain removed some clothing, put on a load of washing and he will be hanging out shortly. He also put on a chicken for dinner tonight and some chips which will be ready shortly.

Still absolutely stinking hot here at 7.35 pm at 28 oc and I am sitting here in a tank top and shorts.

Round 2 of today is we went to town and posted 2 sales I had on eBay, went to the bank and banked some cash, went to the hardware store and purchased 10 more moving boxes and got 2 jerry cans of fuel for our garden machinery.

Back home where DH stain removed some clothing, put on a load of washing and he will be hanging out shortly. He also put on a chicken for dinner tonight and some chips which will be ready shortly.

Still absolutely stinking hot here at 7.35 pm at 28 oc and I am sitting here in a tank top and shorts.
Y’all must not have a very long cool/cold season there!

Just a while ago it was 38 oc hoping it will cool down shortly as it is 5.05 p.m here.

Let me save the rest of you from having to convert the temp. ;)
38C=100.4F
I just noticed you wrote it was 38 oc.
Is oc just another way of indicating Celsius or is it something different?

I really wish the US would have converted to the metric system years ago.
Life would have been simpler.
When I build things in my shop I use metric measurements unless whatever I'm building has to fit in a specific spot.

Last edited:
In the late 1970's there was a push to go metric. The speed limit signs had KPH in addition to the MPH on them. And other conversion attempts.
Most people then and now do not want to convert and will not willingly do so. I'm only somewhat literate in the conversion of inches to cm's and such things.

In the late 1970's there was a push to go metric. The speed limit signs had KPH in addition to the MPH on them. And other conversion attempts.
Most people then and now do not want to convert and will not willingly do so. I'm only somewhat literate in the conversion of inches to cm's and such things.

There are two types of countries. Those that use the metric system and those that have put men on the moon.

@NannyPatty we are having a hot spell at the moment usually it should be a lot cooler than it is. They are expecting the temperature to go down later this week which will be good.

@backlash I was brought up with both imperial and metric systems so call myself the confused generation :) . I worked in both building hardware and the auto industry so we dealt with both imperial and metric for a lot of things so it came in handy. Personally I much prefer metric than imperial as it is so much easier. The oC represents degrees celcius and quite often we also see oF to represent degrees fahrenheit here and your conversions are good so you can see how hot it is here.

We went to get fuel at one service station yesterday and their petrol pumps were out as they had overheated and they were spraying them down with water to get them going which failed dismally.

Australia must have done both then @The Lazy L because I was brought up with both imperial and metric :p . We have both imperial and metric spanners etc in our tool kit too as you never know what measurement you will come up with when working on things. The house we purchased is 1920's - 30's so we will definitely be dealing with all things imperial in there.

Last edited:
@The Lazy L wasn't it recently that the United States pole drove a Mars rover into the ground as the techs sent information in feet and inches and the rover worked in metric ?. In Saturn 5 I believe that the rocket engines were German and were metric so it never would have happened without the metric rocket engines. Also the moon landing would have never been televised had it not have been for Australia as it went through our communications systems :p .

I believe we are allies :thumbs: .

Last edited:
@The Lazy L wasn't is recently that the United States pole drove a Mars rover into the ground as the techs sent information in feet and inches and the rover worked in metric ?. In Saturn 5 I believe that the rocket engines were German and were metric so it never would have happened without the metric rocket engines. Also the moon landing would have never been televised had it not have been for Australia as it went through our communications systems :p .

I believe we are allies :thumbs: .

I telling a story don't confuse it with facts! :D:D:D

I have hot water and a new hot water heater.
It only took maintenance man 7 hours to put in new hot water heater.
Took me 45 minutes to scrub pantry, kitchen floor, put everything back n it's places.
I even had everything moved out of the way before he got here this morning.
Got my 5000 steps in today.
1 load of laundry washed, dried but not put away yet.
Strawberry is sprawled on my lap snoring away.
Having leftovers for supper.
Daylight saving time confuses Strawberry.
Last night she put herself to bed at 1830 hours.
Now have wonderful water pressure too.
Life is good at the moment.
Have doctor's appointment at KCVA early in morning.
Then voting in the afternoon.
Possibly getting new lease done tomorrow too.
Apartment complex has new owners,we'll see how this goes.
Been calling for several days about water heater.
Called main office this morning, within 30 minutes he was here to fix water heater.
Been calling a bout a month over the lease, new owner says it will be done tomorrow.
Property manager has set hours now. no more willy nilly hours.
She's fined for every lease that is late.
Some leases are more than 3 months late.
I hate being late for anything, rather be early than late.
Might be the Army coming out in me.

It's good to be on time. I feel bad if I'm even a minute late. Long day at work, grocery stop, leftovers for dinner. Late night tonight...getting ready to take granddaughter to American Heritage Girls meeting.
Will be voting tomorrow, too.
Glad you have hot water and water pressure, Mo
Some people think I'm cranky without Coffee. But no Coffee and NO HOT WATER makes this Granny very cranky.

Glad you have a new hot water heater!

Today was laundry day and I took an older friend to the grocery store and Dollar General. She never gets to go so she took a long, long time looking at everything! I got my steps in!

Tommorow DH and I are going to the thrift store for a sale. Usually all clothes are 89 cents apiece. First we will vote and hit the Post Office. Going to do a pre- visit to a new pulmonary doc that DH gets to see in town (yay! instead of having to drive 200 miles round trip to the big VA clinic). We just want to see what all to bring or do for first visit. Also going to inquire about a safe deposit box at the bank. Busy day!

Round 1 of today is DH has taken the washing in from the clothes line and we have folded up 3 loads of washing and put it away, then cleaned off the kitchen table which has been a dumping ground for everything while we are packing up the home.

Then we decided we would brave it since it is getting to 35 + oc and give our little girl Tabatha her first bath and yes we have confirmed she has never had a bath before. Poor little thing looked heat stressed. She took it quite well and neither of us have scratches from her. Since her bath she has curled up on DH's chair and is sleeping soundly after she dried off a bit. DH as she is long haired brushed her before her bath to get some of her winter fur off before her bath.

Shortly DH will clean the benches and do the washing up and I will dry them and put them away.

I did something today I haven't been able to do in months. I drove to the big town just before dark. Met a friend for dinner. She was already red pilled but I brought her a Q thumb drive anyway... She hadn't heard about Q.

It was a nice meal at an old fashioned diner. I had meat loaf, cabbage, field peas and cornbread. It was dark when we left. I went grocery shopping at two different markets... then drove home.

Before my eye surgery I had given up on driving at night... It was nice to feel normal again. :)

Round 2 of today is that we went to town and posted another item I sold on eBay, went and got 2 PS4 games for DH for his early birthday present and went and tried to get fuel but their pumps are still not working despite us ringing prior and them telling us they were. Rang up tonight and they are sending someone into repair them so we will see if they are operating tomorrow morning.

Tonight we have made a cheesecake for dessert from homemade condensed milk (so much cheaper than buying it) from food storage and frozen lemon juice I saved from lemons that were given to us. The main will be chicken (leftover roast chicken from yesterday which we also had chicken sandwiches from today), tinned mushroom and corn pie with white sauce inside with pastry made by us too, yum. While I was waiting for DH to finish the cheesecake base I wiped off the writing off our washed out clip seal freezer bags and put them in the box ready for another use.

There will still be enough roasted chicken left for tomorrow for lunch and the pie will last us 2 nights for dinner. Now that is stretching just over a 2 kg roast chicken to it's nth degree :) .

Checking the ground cable on my foiled hat.

My youngest daughter has never been associated with my cell phone. She's been out of the house on her own for a good 10 years. This morning my cell received a text. Text calls my daughter by her name to ask her if she knows were to vote and if she has any questions about Candidate ******.

Now how in the Sam Hill did a political party, NSA, CIA, FBI, NCIS, MICKEYMOUSE tie my cellphone with my daughter?!?!?!?!?

And to add insult to injury Candidate ****** represents a political party that I wouldn't vote for even if they controlled the air conditioning in Hell!

Latest posts

Back