What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up the granddaughters yesterday and let them open some presents. They had never been to a mall so we drove to Florence Alabama (1 1/2 he drive) and walked around till my knee gave out. Gave them some money to spend but that didn't last long. Sitting in the living room watching the aristocrats now. If it wasn't muddy and foggy we'd build a campfire. We're trying our best to make country girls out of them and they love it!!

Finishing up the many goodies and presents I’m still trying to get done and out. Currently making more of our famous secret peanut brittle and cutting vinyl for ornaments and reusable shopping bags.
Tonight I’m going on the annual Christmas bingo. My SIL, BIL, niece and nephews all pile in the car (me included now) and drive around looking for all the different Christmas decorations that are on our bingo board. We all have coffee or cocoa. Of course there’s a lot of cheating and rechecking what was “seen”. It is a ton of fun and laughs. The kids crack me up. They are getting older now. Not sure how much longer it will continue so I’m making sure to go every year.

Cleaned house in preparation for a lot of guests arriving this weekend. Also went through about 3 boxes of gun parts and accessories and sorted them into keep, sale and throw piles. Then I made up a flash drive with a 100-150 or so photos of my daughter from birth through this week to run on the big screen during her birthday party. It was a quite a trip down memory lane.

Just bought the fixings to make some Norwegian potato sausage for christmas dinner. If you guys haven't had it you should try it. I grew up in it
You got some Scandanavian blood, Chris? Both my Grandmothers were full blooded Norwegians. We still have all the traditional Norse food at family gatherings.

You got some Scandanavian blood, Chris? Both my Grandmothers were full blooded Norwegians. We still have all the traditional Norse food at family gatherings.
I'm half Swedish and half German. My grandparents are very Swedish grandpa was born in Sweden and came here through the army. He is still president of the Los Angeles Swedish club. I grew up folk dancing and doing everything Swedes do here. I've been to Sweden and Norway and my family still has a summer house on the lake there. Up until I moved to idaho my wife and I volunteered at all the gatherings helping serve and cleanup and whatnot. Sadly most young people have no interest in their heritage.

I've been sick the past 2 days. No cold or flu. I think it is a bit of food poisoning maybe. I have bad body aches, head ache, throwing up and can't sleep. The baby has it too. She started showing symptoms the night before I did.

I'm half Swedish and half German. My grandparents are very Swedish grandpa was born in Sweden and came here through the army. He is still president of the Los Angeles Swedish club. I grew up folk dancing and doing everything Swedes do here. I've been to Sweden and Norway and my family still has a summer house on the lake there. Up until I moved to idaho my wife and I volunteered at all the gatherings helping serve and cleanup and whatnot. Sadly most young people have no interest in their heritage.
I agree about the young'uns. Luckily my nieces and nephews are at least interested in the food traditions. Lefse, kringla, and Yule caga will live on in my family.
I live in the middle of an area that is very heavily Scandanavian. The welcome signs on the road into town say "Velkommen". People are proud of it but the millenials mostly don't care.

I agree about the young'uns. Luckily my nieces and nephews are at least interested in the food traditions. Lefse, kringla, and Yule caga will live on in my family.
I live in the middle of an area that is very heavily Scandanavian. The welcome signs on the road into town say "Velkommen". People are proud of it but the millenials mostly don't care.
Do you guys do much with pickled herring or hard tac bread? Rarely do you see a soft bread at grandpas house.

I've been sick the past 2 days. No cold or flu. I think it is a bit of food poisoning maybe. I have bad body aches, head ache, throwing up and can't sleep. The baby has it too. She started showing symptoms the night before I did.

Awwww,
Grimm , get better,
and take good care of JuJu,

Merry Christmas..Give them 2 babies a big hug, and tell em Merry Christmas .

Jim

Do you guys do much with pickled herring or hard tac bread? Rarely do you see a soft bread at grandpas house.
Pickled herring is a holiday treat here. Personally I don't like it, but it's not as bad a lutefisk. As far as hard bread, that's not common. We do make a lot of Lefse, which is a thin potato bread almost like a cracker. When you moisten it, it becomes soft and we put butter and brown sugar on it and roll it up. It's delicious.

Can't forget the lingon berries. Can't find anything like them in America

You have apparently never been to Door Co. Wisconsin. They have lingon berries, lingon berry jam, lingon berry syrup and lingon berry everything. It's like a Norwegian paradise up there. I know because my wife's Mom was born in Norway and is a pure blood, which of course makes my wife 50% Norwegian. Everytime we go there we have to go to this place that has a grass roof with goats on it and thin pancakes covered in lingon berries.

Sorry to hear that. Will have a good thought for you and throw in a prayer or two as well.
angel_smiley007.gif

Pickled herring is a holiday treat here. Personally I don't like it, but it's not as bad a lutefisk. As far as hard bread, that's not common. We do make a lot of Lefse, which is a thin potato bread almost like a cracker. When you moisten it, it becomes soft and we put butter and brown sugar on it and roll it up. It's delicious.
I've had both of those, Swedes don't do much with the potato bread. I've never been a fan of lutefisk myself. I don't mind the herring, maybe it's an acquired taste.

You have apparently never been to Door Co. Wisconsin. They have lingon berries, lingon berry jam, lingon berry syrup and lingon berry everything. It's like a Norwegian paradise up there. I know because my wife's Mom was born in Norway and is a pure blood, which of course makes my wife 50% Norwegian. Everytime we go there we have to go to this place that had a grass roof with goats on it and think pancakes covered in lingon berries.
Probably similar to Solvang, California. A Norwegian town. Pretty neat but I haven't been in years. I am trying to hang on to a little of the heritage, I want my kids to know where they come from

Probably similar to Solvang, California. A Norwegian town. Pretty neat but I haven't been in years. I am trying to hang on to a little of the heritage, I want my kids to know where they come from

My wife does the same thing. She has several of her mom's and grandma's Norwegian recipes that she makes with our girls.

Unfortunately the only two bloodlines I do not have in me are Norwegian and Bohemian, which is what my wife is. So my kids are even more diluted mixed breeds than I am!

My wife does the same thing. She has several of her mom's and grandma's Norwegian recipes that she makes with our girls.

Unfortunately the only two bloodlines I do not have in me are Norwegian and Bohemian, which is what my wife is. So my kids are even more diluted mixed breeds than I am!
Wow, a Norwegian/Bohemie wife! That sounds like a wild combination!

My wife is Hungarian and English. Our kids are mutts.

My ex is mostly Irish. Between all the Norse and Irish my little girl didn't have much of a choice but to be blue eyed and blonde...

Both my girls are blonde blue-eyed and I'm middle eastern! I have dark everything and they still came out fair.

Latest posts

Back