What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made husband an early breakfast, took care of the animals and then hit the Kroger store for specials. They had a weekend special on paper towels, poptarts, and cheese. Also bought 10 cans of chopped tomatoes (49 cents a can and I had coupons for 20 cents off each). Bought more hamburger for hamburgers tonight and lasagna tomorrow. But got a 5 lb package for $10. Expecting a crowd tomorrow with grown kids and grandkids. Got another 47 cents a lb turkey (13.5 lbs) and will just cook it, slice it, freeze some and use for sandwich meat. Then went to the school to pick up tuition payments and timecards. Put away groceries, chopped and froze peppers, pulled out dead tomato plants, mopped, vacuumed, 4 loads of wash done and hung, changed bedsheets, fed animals, cleaning out some boxes of tools and misc from the school. Need to make dinner. Should of worn gloves when chopping peppers. Hands are burning. Good for arthritis?

Wife fixed a huge omelet with ham, onion, and Havarti cheese. Had a pear with it. I picked up a new pistol earlier in the week and cleaned and lubed it then shot 100 rounds thru it. sweet shooting little carry pistol. Wife has been working on apple butter from a bushel of apples we bought at the orchard last Sunday.

Went shopping and those who know me well knows I hate to shop.
Unless it's Home depot, Lowe's, Menard's, Nut's and Bolts etc.
Went to Christmas Open Houses at Mom and Pop stores.
Ones I shop at all year. Pretty much don't shop those overpriced junk stores that are popping up a dime a dozen in my home town.
Most I can't go into anyway, because of incense, scents,essential oils stink and triggers my seizures.

Last edited:
Just heard a big boom upstairs. Ran upstairs to see what happened, and our son had put a carboy (6 gallon) of fermenting kiwano wine in the walk in closet. Well, the closet is shelved, and it has all of our family photo albums in there and it is my gift closet...handmade stuff ready for Christmas baskets. The kiwano wine spouted out like a volcano. Spewed green goop everywhere...ceiling, walls, 3 inches of it on the carpet. Gifts are splattered. Huge sticky mess. Of course son is out of town till tomorrow night.

Just heard a big boom upstairs. Ran upstairs to see what happened, and our son had put a carboy (6 gallon) of fermenting kiwano wine in the walk in closet. Well, the closet is shelved, and it has all of our family photo albums in there and it is my gift closet...handmade stuff ready for Christmas baskets. The kiwano wine spouted out like a volcano. Spewed green goop everywhere...ceiling, walls, 3 inches of it on the carpet. Gifts are splattered. Huge sticky mess. Of course son is out of town till tomorrow night.
That's awful! At least nobody was injured.

Today I cleaned out the little freezer at the top of my 29 year old refrigerator. I have the kitchen timers with the magnets on the back on the fridge door. If I don't have any cold soda's I stick them in the freezer and set the timer for One hour, perfect time, cold but not frozen.

Once in a great while something will happen that calls me away and I forget about the timer... I had two pepsi's explode in the freezer recently... A sticky mess... I also had shrimp and frozen egg rolls that expired last march..

Any who! My freezer is nice and tidy, everything is labeled and I'm having a pound of shrimp for dinner tomorrow before they expire. ;)

Yesterday we attacked more packing and started in the kitchen and packed all of the cupboards under the sink containing herbs, the other half of one pantry in there and the cutlery drawers leaving out the bare minimum in there. I then cleaned all the cupboards inside and out.

Out in the gardens we mulched the remaining garden beds in the front gardens and put some grass clippings under the house and around one garden beds\ in the back gardens. DH then mowed our lawns again and got 6 more bags of grass clippings from that and put some under the back stairs and beside the remaining garden beds we have to mulch.

This morning we picked the last 20 bunches of silverbeet from the gardens and took them to church to give away. Got home and DH had a nap and then we washed the dishes, cleaned the benches and I dried them and put them away. Did a stocktake of how much we need to have in the bank to cover the house deposit and loan bank fees and charges, home and contents insurance, having a house stump replaced and a new oven. We are on track money wise so far with a few more pays to go before we settle on the home.

After that we made a double batch of chocolate chip and coconut biscuits to last us the week, yum :) .

@Amish Heart no good about the spillage all over your gifts, walls and everwhere :( , I can see a suspected son injury coming up when he gets home.

Last edited:
@Patchouli we are moving about 45 mins further out of town from where we are living now. The climate will be the same being temperate but we will have a creek nearby which will be a tick hazzard for DH, I and the cat. Had to buy some extra supplies for the cat to deal with that to protect her. We have been also increasing our fuel stockpiles as we now have 2 cars instead of one.

The home is centrally located within around 30 mins of 2 towns, one a major one and a smaller town and the town we are in now 45 mins away and the small country town we are moving to has an RSL club, corner store and a post office. We have no street mail service to a letter box and everything gets delivered to the post office which we can walk to.

Usual sunday here.
Made our breakfast
Washing hubby's work clothes
Have dishes to do up after that
Gonna make lasagna for supper with some garlic bread to go with
Gonna check over a local grocery's sale paper online and make a list. I have to go to a restaurant supply store this coming week to pick up the spiral ham and some cooking utensils that I need to replace, so I'll swing by the grocery store on the way.

Dishes are done, cabinets washed down, counter tops cleaned.
Vacuum run in living room,leaves picked up before Strawberry decides to shred them.
Bathroom cleaned, floor steamed cleaned,baseboard heater dusted, mirrors cleaned, sink area cleaned.
Need to pick up bleach to give toilet good scrubbing.
Going to eat.
Then start putting away sewing supplies in the new to me sewing desk.
I have no clue why someone would paint a Waterfall vanity/sewing desk purple and black with fushia pink drawers.
But come Spring that crap is coming off that vanity/sewing desk.
Stripped, sealed and varnish is what it's getting in the Spring.
Might get a nap in too.
Happy Veterans Day everyone!

ive been a tad preoccupied with helping my good buddies here try and locate their daughter who was residing in Paradise CA. Their daughter is mentally delayed and has not been seen since the town burnt down. It appears her housing was destroyed and from what is sounds like is fairly unable to help herself. Her biological mother lives (ed) in Paradise as well but her house was burnt down too. Many people who were not handicapped did not make it out. I have another friend who's home was destroyed not far from my friends daughters place. It is a ongoing shtf situation..the winds picked up again last night..another town is gone and others are being evacuated as I write this.
I have a buddie in fire that sent me the fire info specific to the Camp Fire and it appears infrastructure water, power substations are being threatened too at this point. even if folks could rebuilt..no water or power to the rural area is a no go..plus all the businesses lost , jobs lost..yikes.
I have fire buddies who have buddies there who have lost everything, including animals..
On the bright side..people in droves are helping those who need help moving critters, sheltering them and their animals, folks from all over donating ..it is wonderful to see everyone helping out..
I had a local fire here this summer that had people scrambling but nothing like the likes of what im hearing happened in Paradise. A wall of fire about a 100 feet high drivin by high winds just washed over everthing. huge embers spotting fires on homes and property..a whole town gone..damb..

Rolling up balls of yarn and untangling it as I go.
Had a little helper in Granny's yarn basket last week.
I think so far today , I have untangled and rolled up approx 75 balls of yarn in various weight.
Hopefully will get to work on shaw for Christmas today.
Kinda chilly,wet,snowy here today.
Thinking about a nap,under nice warm blankets.
Strawberry stretched out beside me snoring.

Did some cooking
Did some cleaning
Did some reading
lol
Hubby brought me home a dozen donuts from my most favorite donut shop in the world! I kid you not if I had to have my last meal it would be a dozen of these chocolate covered creme filled donuts. They are my crack. Seriously. I squealed like a little girl when he gave them to me. pathetic huh? lol I don't care. I've denied myself these things for a couple of years now. Went cold turkey.
I can hear them calling me........

Cold rainy night tonight. Then clearing and chilly ( 50's) and then thursday we'll be getting a mix and then snow and back to a mix. An all day thing. oh goody :rolleyes:

Round 1 of today is we saved the real estate agents butt on getting a plumber in to fix the leaking pipe under the house we are buying as the current owners plumber was on holidays and he couldn't get hold of another plumber at all to fix it. We gave him the phone number of our preferred plumber and he is going out to fix it up this afternoon or early tomorrow morning. The agent suggested we go out to the house to have him give us some quotes on getting a few other things done re plumbing the single tank with the other 2 on a tank stand, tracking where our pipes are running and realigning the gutters so all the water flows into the tanks which will save us money getting him out another time to do it. The agent and owners had until deadline tomorrow to fix it as they had a 2 week extension from our solicitor to get all the repairs and house issues repaired. The spraying for termites outside the house and all the outdoor structures and fence lines are now done, the inside and outside of the house has been sprayed for pests, the broken window louvre they have replaced with an entirely new window as it was cheaper to do that than replace the louvres and they will be finished tomorrow.

Been out into the gardens this morning and DH has dismantled and rolled up our drip irrigation systems on 3 of the garden beds. While he was doing that I mulched the canna and calla lily beds and under the back stairs with our copious amounts of grass clippings to get rid of them and stop weeds coming up between now and when we move. Then I moved to digging up and removing all our silver beet plants from another garden bed which are now in the bin. DH emptied out the charcoal and fire ash from the compost buckets and put it beside the garage with more grass clippings on the top of them to get rid of them as well.

Had work. Took the cloth and raffia off of the jars of home canned goodies I had topped and tagged for Christmas gifts. They were coated in Kiwano wine gunk from the explosion. Cloth in the washer, raffia thrown out. Had to clean out the vacuum filters because son used it to vacuum up cat litter he dumped on the kiwano wine explosion in my gift closet. He threw towels he used in the wash. The washer is not a garbage disposal and was full of green slime and kiwano seed. So he cleaned that out. He is almost done cleaning the closet of seed and gunk. Repackaged in mylar a dozen cake mixes and a dozen rice a roni. Got a call from our elderly next door neighbor and she was gagging on the phone, so I ran over and husband called 911. She was choking on a piece of meat. She hacked it out right when I ran through her door. She has COPD and has difficulty breathing as it is, so it was scary. EMTs came and she felt better. Husband came over and we stayed with her awhile. I'm off work tomorrow, so I'll check on her some. She is a retired nurse, so she does have some sense, but is widowed, so we look out for her. Just took the meat off of a turkey I cooked. A 13 pounder that was 47 cents a lb. I'll make some turkey noodle vegetable soup tomorrow, some meat will be left out for lunch sandwiches, and the rest frozen for quick dinners.

Just took the meat off of a turkey I cooked. A 13 pounder that was 47 cents a lb. I'll make some turkey noodle vegetable soup tomorrow, some meat will be left out for lunch sandwiches, and the rest frozen for quick dinners.
Do you ever throw the carcass into a stock pot with water, onion, celery, carrots and seasoning and make stock for soup?

That sounds like a horrible mess to clean up.

My grandfather was often making wine. One night his potato wine blew up and went all over the kitchen ceiling.

I managed to get two "friends" ticked off with me on FaceBook. 2 in one day is a new record for me.

"Andy" took an exception with my post about a past U.S.A. disaster. Andy thought the group deserved to be totally wiped out because of what some of their relation had done. I asked, then Andy would agree that he could be punished for something one of his unknown relation had done? Instead of answering Andy tried to redirect the subject, which didn't work. Then Andy posted "the group" was armed and started the fight. I asked if that was true then why did "the group" suffer 100% casualties and the party suffered none. Andy called me a Snowflake and a few other words thast would not be proper to post of a family oriented forum. My last reply was that Andy appeared to me to have anger issues and I would not respond further. I defriended Andy. I didn't know Andy personal, we both are members of a National group and appeared to have similar interests. o_O

We use to hang around with "Bob"s parents before their divorce. Watched Bob grow up, marry and move on. Bob posts anything radical left against President Trump that he can find. Bob's latest post was ridiculing President Trump for canceling the visit to Aisne-Marne American Cemetery in Belleau, France. I posted that Obama didn't attend a Veteran Memorial too (for some reason this morning when I do a Internet search "Barack Obama veteran cancellation" all I get is President Trump cancellation). Bob went into orbit and basically stated Obama should be worshiped and Trump is lower then...and Bob was serious. I didn't reply and will let him cool off. I'll wait a few days before posting on FB another positive view of President Trump. :D

My grandfather was often making wine. One night his potato wine blew up and went all over the kitchen ceiling.

My mom made wine pretty often. Had some elderberry wine explode at my grandfather's house--all over living room. She said she must have put too much sugar in it! She had some coconut wine that didn't turn out and she fed it to our hog. Only time I've ever seen a drunk pig!

Today, I'm making two appetizers for a painting group at Church tonight. My friend is paying for me or I couldn't go. One will be jalapeno, onion powder, cheddar and cream cheese spread on tortillas and cut to pinwheels, the other will be jalapenos mixed with jelly and cream cheese for a dip with tostado chips. Also have to make spoon bread for tomorrows senior group at Church. Today is laundry day and I will be making Italian shrimp for my meal. Also ordering shipping envelopes from usps and writing a few drafts for eBay. Busy day and I hope tomorrow is easier!

Cold and rain showers off and on today
Just doing dishes and dusting the dining room
Have no idea what to make for supper
Do need to clear out the fridge one day this week to make room for next week
Been getting multiple catalogs at least 3 times a week in the mail now. They're gearing up for Christmas. We just remove our names and then recycle them. We have a drop off bin in the small town we live near

Got up, dressed, teeth in, hair combed.
Let Strawberry outside.
While she's outside ran the vacuum in living room, hallway, sewing room.
Dusted furniture in living room.
Let Strawberry back inside.
Dried off her wet feet.
Cleaned off kitchen table,sprayed it with windex, scrubbed it well.
Finally got all the crayon off the high chair and table top.
Picked up the mess off the top of freezer.
Been working in sewing room, might want sew and quilt part of the Christmas gifts up soon.
Found out my cousin's youngest son and his wife are having a girl this time around.
They have a 5 year old boy now.
That will give the 3 boys and 3 girl grandchildren.
Have a hot date tonight.
It's Bingo night at the Veterans building.
Want to rest before that.
Got a hair cut, went and checked on parents.
Walked my youngest sisters dog they babysitting.

Took the day off and have been cleaning the food supply area all day. Still not done. Son is still working on the closet explosion cleaning. This morning we woke up to a pretty good freeze. 18 degrees out. Had to haul out hot water to deice the animal water. Son went over to talk to neighbor who was cussing up a storm....his first year with a large animal (2 horses) and didn't realize the water would freeze.
Back to work!

Latest posts

Back