What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My MIL and SIL are in Live Oak. I've visited that area many times. Other SIL still hanging in there in Chico. It's terrible.
@Amish Heart is it burning around Chico? I was working there just last April. Hard to imagine the fires getting too wide spread there, but then again we don't get fires like that in the Midwest so I'm no expert on them...

Hemming curtains by hand while they hang on the rods.
This way I get the right length.
Turning on baseboard heaters in kitchen, and in living room tonight.
First time in five years turning those on.
Had to move the chest freezer down a bit, so it's not completely blocking heater.
Finally took the air conditioner out of my bedroom window.
Will hem those drapes tomorrow after grand daughter goes home.
Went to get coffee this afternoon, came back into living room,
Estelle was standing on my coffee table.
Seems like we might have a climber, she was pretty pleased with herself.
Put her back on the floor, she hiked her leg to climb back on the coffee table.
Told her to unhike that leg, so she did. But she hiked the left leg climbed right back up on the coffee table.
Got her butt swatted for that. But sure looked cute hiking that little leg to get on my coffee table.

Round 1 we started off the morning with myself trimming the rose bushes and some of the rosemary bushes in the front gardens while DH started stripping off the dried broad bean pods with seeds in them off the plants we had drying on the back veranda and put the spent bean plants in the bin.

We then moved into the back gardens to put some more spent broad bean plants into the bin as well as weeds and some turnip plants that won't make it to maturity before we move. Then we ran out of bin room and had to grab the neighbours second bin and filled that one up with potato and corn plants that likewise wouldn't have made it to maturity. We did however get a 9 litre bucket of potatoes big enough off the potato plants so I am happy with that :).

All up we filled up 3 wheelie bins with weeds and plants from the back gardens :eek: , but it is looking much tidier now. We have our friend with the tractor coming on Monday to level the beds out for us for free apart from throwing him the fuel he uses for it.

Just went and separated out the broad bean seeds we had been drying on the veranda and have quite a few for replanting next year and a lot to sell too.

Good news is the current owners of our new home is going to let us have access to the sheds before settlement day so we can move our firewood, manures and some tools from the shed over there giving us a head start on moving.

Round 2 of today is that we swept off the back veranda and the front veranda as the contractor was mowing the lawn across the road and a lot of the grass clippings blew across the road and onto our front veranda.

Tonight's dinner is vege burgers made entirely from some of the potatoes we picked today and other vegetables picked and frozen from the gardens and food storage.

Spikedriver: part of Chico burned. My SIL was ready to evacuate to Live Oak, but hasn't had to. Imagine the air outside is not worth breathing, though.
Son announced he is done cleaning the walls, ceiling and carpet of kiwano yuck. Now it's time to clean off the stuff that was in it. I have 3 dz jars of home canned on the counter that will be used for gifts that need to be retopped with fabric and raffia tied. Just had someone want to buy 6 jars of sauces and jams yesterday and was lucky that they were topped and looking pretty and weren't splatted. I have 3 buckets of tomatoes that ripened on newspaper that need to be canned or something. But have work first today.

Spikedriver: part of Chico burned. My SIL was ready to evacuate to Live Oak, but hasn't had to. Imagine the air outside is not worth breathing, though.
Son announced he is done cleaning the walls, ceiling and carpet of kiwano yuck. Now it's time to clean off the stuff that was in it. I have 3 dz jars of home canned on the counter that will be used for gifts that need to be retopped with fabric and raffia tied. Just had someone want to buy 6 jars of sauces and jams yesterday and was lucky that they were topped and looking pretty and weren't splatted. I have 3 buckets of tomatoes that ripened on newspaper that need to be canned or something. But have work first today.
I have never heard of kiwano. You have mentioned it in several posts relative to the wine disaster. Does it grow in your area?

I have never heard of kiwano. You have mentioned it in several posts relative to the wine disaster. Does it grow in your area?
Cucumis metuliferus, horned melon or kiwano, also African horned cucumber or melon, jelly melon, hedged gourd, melano, is an annual vine in the cucumber and melon family, Cucurbitaceae. Its fruit has horn-like spines, hence the name "horned melon". Ripe fruit has orange skin and lime green, jelly-like flesh with a refreshingly fruity taste, and texture similar to a passionfruit or pomegranate.[1] C. metuliferus is native to Sub-Saharan Africa.[2][3] It is now grown in the United States, Portugal, Italy, Germany, Chile, Australia, and New Zealand.

Wow, too bad for Chico. I hope Big Al's burger joint is safe. That place has great food!

Snow day today! well actually its sleet then snow then sleet and snow then snow ..... lol
Just eating popcorn and reading Drinking tea.
Hubby said this morning right before he left ( uh huh lol) he's thinking of pulling a double today so he doesn't have to go into work tomorrow and he can start his vacation early. He has PTO ( personal time off) he has to use up before then of the year so he's taking a week off for Thanksgiving and another week for Christmas

Had grand daughter today.
She has eaten everything possible that this Granny had cooked up in the refrig.
Finally found something she's not crazy about; last bowl of second batch of ham and beans.
She doesn't like the beans, but ate part of the ham.
So Granny got to go out and eat tonight.
Sitting here enjoying the quite.
Poor Strawberry has already put herself to bed.
Her butt was dragging tonight.
Need to do up a dab of dishes, sweep the floor.
Then I too will call it a night.
Have to walk tomorrow.
Have a great day, evening,night.

Speaking of animals @Patchouli we went to our property earlier this week and I came so close to a kangaroo leaping around the creek bank at the back of our property. I have seen many kangaroos but not one up so close apart from when I was a child at a zoo.
Do you have water rights to the creek Sewing?

Well Spike after seeing all the ribbing you've been getting from the ladies on here I know to NEVER put up a pic on here. LOL Seriously with out admiring your dimples, but with the toboggan your the spittin image on one of the techs that works for me. I did a double take when I saw your pic. But he is an east Tn boy thru and thru.

Im looking forward to my weekend..
I plan on nice am runs with the dog and treadmill time..
Hot springs tomorrow after work..
the weather is cold but sunny and no snow yet..
so..lots of piddling chores this weekend but its always a good time doing them
ok..well except for the pooper scooping chore..stinky..but at least they are mostly frozen turds now!
I made the mistake to not do poopy chores thinking they will be gone by spring the first year I was here..Oh no, no ,NO...the dog turds just unfreeze into a pile of mush after the snow melts..
lessons..are _hitty sometimes..lol..

Well Spike after seeing all the ribbing you've been getting from the ladies on here I know to NEVER put up a pic on here. LOL Seriously with out admiring your dimples, but with the toboggan your the spittin image on one of the techs that works for me. I did a double take when I saw your pic. But he is an east Tn boy thru and thru.
C'mon, @Bacpacker puhleeeeease.
You can wear shades, facial hair and a hat. :ghostly:

Latest posts

Back