What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pretty tired today, night shift wears me out but it's my Friday!! The last night shift of the week and then Freedom! at least for a few days..
I predict warm hot spring in my near future...warm fires..and soothing chores like pooper scooping the stalls..stinky yes..but it's the kind of work I'd rather be doing anyday over wage slaving!

Went looking to buy women's shorts this morning and struck out. All that I saw were up to the butt! One lady suggested I buy men's shorts. No thanks!

Came home and waited for kid to show up to help me do outside stuff. He dug holes-5- and I planted 4 knockout rose bushes and a Satsuma tree. I know it's the wrong time to plant but when you get them for free, what the heck! Supposed to rain tonight so they should get a good soaking. Also, got 2 bags of gravel down and spread and a couple of totes out to the shed. Pretty productive day!

Had a rough day at work today. Had 2 guys waiting at my office door when I arrived. just a few minutes later one of my techs comes in visably upset. Took him a couple minutes to compose himself to tell me his wife had fell (has MS) and hit her head and was concerned she may have broke her hip. He lives 30-45 minutes away. Finally got him settled down enough where he could go home and get her to the ER. Turns out she has a nasty knot on her head and bruised up, but no serious injuries. Then got a notice that an out of tolerance report I turned in Monday had some wrong information on it and had to re run it. Found out instead of no possible calibration issuews, I had 16 possibles. Spend the rest of the day doing calculations to see if any of them were out of tolerance. Still don't have all the answers, but it looks like 15 of the 16 may be ok. the one that might not was the most critical. Not sure what I'm walking into tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Came home and waited for kid to show up to help me do outside stuff. He dug holes-5- and I planted 4 knockout rose bushes and a Satsuma tree. I know it's the wrong time to plant but when you get them for free, what the heck! Supposed to rain tonight so they should get a good soaking. Also, got 2 bags of gravel down and spread and a couple of totes out to the shed. Pretty productive day!

I like to plant trees, berries, etc in the fall around here. Lets the roots get established over the winter before top growth comes on. I have 10-12 berry bushes to plant. All incely filled out in 1 gallon pots. Gonna try and find a few trees to set out as well.

Good luck, Bacpacker. Sounds like you had a Monday. I bet you're glad tomorrow's Friday.
Had work, grocery shopping specials, chopping and freezing more tomatoes that turned red. Scraped kiwano seeds off of a dozen candles I had made. Our youngest daughter took the twins out to do their Christmas shopping. Boy, did I appreciate that!

I like to plant trees, berries, etc in the fall around here. Lets the roots get established over the winter before top growth comes on. I have 10-12 berry bushes to plant. All incely filled out in 1 gallon pots. Gonna try and find a few trees to set out as well.

That's what I thought, too. But the directions on the plants say to plant after the last frost in the Spring. I am hoping they will make it!

11 days until we move into our new to us home :woo hoo: .

Round 1 of today is that DH has put on a load of washing, and hung it out and gone to the doctors to get his monthly supply of pain medications and also some sinus relief spray as we are having dust storms here. Poor man like me is allergic to dust but with clouds of red dust blowing over the mountains and everywhere who wouldn't be. He has also got up to date quotes on house, contents and ride on mower transit insurance from 2 companies and so far we have a difference of $443.18 per year between the 2 companies and you can guess who we will go with. The company we have all of our other insurances through suddenly upped their original quote we got by $166.10 in under a month with no reasons given which seems awfully suspicious to us :rolleyes:.

Meanwhile I have been sending the real estate agent in charge of the pending sale of our property a reminder via text to update us on when the termite plugs will be put in the stumps and back porch cement and also reminded him to send us the receipt for the spraying since we will have to follow up on that in 6 months. I have also swept the bathroom, laundry and toilet area and put down the shower mats and clean towels and stripped the bed for DH to do the washing this morning and transferred money from another bank account to cover bills already paid. The butter is out thawing for our baking this afternoon.

DH is currently mowing our neighbours lawns for which he gets paid and then will move onto doing ours next.

Last edited:
Had grand daughter today.
Estelle and Strawberry tormented each other today all day.
Went to Wal-Mart done monthly shopping everything is put away.
Started and finished Estelle's Christmas shopping today.
Just got to wrap it.
Finished daughter in laws shawl this morning.
Already crocheting the dishcloths,hot pads,pot holders.
Got to get gas gift cards for sons for Christmas.
Just got 2 more bill to pay tomorrow.
Try to order meat bundle for pick up on Saturday.
Will do laundry while grand daughter is here tomorrow.
Depending on the weather Saturday, will put on pot of white beans and chunks of ham.
Got a dab of dishes to do.

Worked laying new flooring again today. I have the dining room and and half the kitchen/living room done so far. Should finish the kitchen/living room tomorrow. My back and knees give out after about 4 hours so I don't push it because there is no hurry.

I love crocheted pot holders, I have two someone made for me. Is there a particular pattern you care to share or website for directions? @MoBookworm1957
I usually learn a new stitch and pattern and use those.
But right now am doing Tunisian stitch because it works up fast, now that I have learned it.
The front of dishcloth will be cross stitched with their motif.
Example: my niece likes wine, coffee,frogs.
So her dishcloths will either have coffee cup,frog,wine.
Hot pads I double make two hot pads and whip stitch them together.
Dish clothes are thinner do the same concept.
Look for ideas on Pinterest, YouTube.
Or use motif from coloring book, but I try to keep them simple.
YouTube like Crochet Crowd, Creative Granny.
Pinterest take a quilt block crochet the block, cross stitch the motif.

My back and knees give out after about 4 hours so I don't push it because there is no hurry.

That's why I waited 10 months for my great nephew to get time to help me with my flooring. He's 18, it'll be 20 years before he notices he has a back or knees! :D

I don't remember the exact numbers but I know it was just under 450 sqft. My nephew did it in about 7 hours. I handed him pieces as fast as he could handle it. I have some military surplus knee pads, he didn't even want those! I wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes without them.

I did nothing today... still wiped out. MAybe tomorrow I'll get the old fridge out of the house. :)

Went looking to buy women's shorts this morning and struck out. All that I saw were up to the butt! One lady suggested I buy men's shorts. No thanks!

I always buy mens shorts, the pockets are bigger. Sweats too. I don't know why the manufactures won't pot pockets in women's sweat pants.

Round 2 of today is we didn't do any baking as DH was tired from mowing and whipper snippering 2 x 1/2 acre blocks today. We did however go to the bank and deposited some cash earned from DH's mowing jobs and got them to fix up our bills account that wouldn't let me transfer money or pay bills from as these features seemed to be not activated. While in town we went and brought a plumbing hose clamp for the ride on because now the catcher baskets keep sliding over to one side, we love plumbers hose clamps for doing minor repairs on machinery.

While we were in the hardware store we priced some ladders both outside and mini inside ones , emergency snap recovery straps for the cars, some more shelving units for the food storage room when we move. We also watered the fruit and other herb plants in pots with rainwater from our tanks.

DH is doing our usual Friday night dish of homemade pizza for the next couple of nights.

Hubby went a bought my Christmas present today. We pick it up later this week.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Samsung-5-...s-steel-Common-30-in-Actual-29-75-in/50201531
View attachment 9793

We've been replacing the appliances in the house one at a time. Did the refrigerator, hot water heater and now the stove. Next up is the dishwasher. My Maytag washer/dryer are working just fine for now. Hopefully they'll last a long time yet.
Can't wait to use this stove. Apparently you can slow cook on it, and it has a dehydrating setting for the oven.

I went to the grocery store this morning and bought 10 packs of bacon, 2 marinated pork roasts and 4 small packs of steakums both beef and chicken. Saved $48 on the sales and we're set for meals for months now lol
Now I'm planning on putting on my sweats and reading in the recliner until I have to make supper. Its cold out and the wind chill is in the low 30's.
I need to do this, but have been working on other projects. There is a gas line into my kitchen, but it needs to be replaced. I have an electric Jenn-air, but I could use a new one. I really want gas for a number of reasons.

Counting down the time until I can get home and actually DO something with my Black Friday Score from Tandy... So many projects in mind...

View attachment 9800

Sparky, this is one of the times when we need a LOVE IT button. I am curious about what specific projects you have in mind. I would love to do some leather work. I really prefer carrying leather purses, but someone gave me a new purse earlier this year (actually gave me 2, she got to choose free purses from 100s and kept me in mind) that is not leather. That would the first non-leather purse for me in decades.

Making grocery list for monthly shopping trip tomorrow.
Ordering meat bundle later to day, pick up tomorrow.
Will work in kitchen tomorrow around grand daughter putting up meat bundle for chest freezer.
Updating chest freezer master list will make menu list from that.
Going out to start car and let it run for a bit.
Haven't been outside much till today when last of black ice melted from sidewalk finally.
Car hasn't been started since Friday afternoon.
When I come back inside will paint my fingernails for the first time in 6 months.
I don't normally do girly things, but I might try a few as long as I don't have to put much effort into it.
Have lost enough weight I fit back into a pair of Riders, bootcut size 14 regular jeans.
Not plus size just regular jeans, comfortably which means I can breathe.
Going to look for new pair of low heal boots tomorrow while shopping.
Been slowly replacing my clothes as I lose weight and keep it off.
Last week went to beauty shop had them cut off about 10 inches of hair.
Went shorter and edgier style.
Good for you!

YEP! My identity was stolen 3 years back. Talk about a nightmare. They were trying to open home equity lines of credit on our house and as many credit cards online as they could. Every day I dreaded going to the mail box to see how many letters from CC companies and banks were in there. And I would have to spend time calling and straightening it out
Had to inform the Treasury Dept., had to make out a police report at the State Police barracks, had to inform the IRS because they had my SS# and its tied to EVERYTHING ya know, had to inform the Credit Score folks and put a temporary stop on all credit lines for me so it would stop them in their tracks. Now we have LifeLock and they've stopped 3 different times our names and SS#'s were on the "dark" web for sale. Its worth the $40 a month for both of us.
Hubby's SS# was being used at the IRS so now he has to have them send him a PIN# for our taxes every year.

Know what tripped them up? They used our old land line phone number on the applications but we got rid of it the year before. Some people are disgusting. Seriously.
That is so scary! And horrible!

We know this is not uncommon, but the open line of credit against your home? That is probably the scariest part, imho.

SS# on the dark web? I wonder if someone sent you or hubby a fishing email? That makes me think it was a foreign person.

I have known people who have had their identities stolen and their credit messed up!

One of the things that I received this year in one of the packages that were sent to me with family documents are both of my grandparents, mother's parents, Social Security cards, pristine, still in the envelope received in. They have been deceased since 1966 and 1981. I keep a 3 ring binder with all kinds of family documents, news clippings, photos, family group sheets, etc. I am working on putting together booklets for the rest of the family to have copies of it, but it is the SS cards that I really don't know how to deal with. They are special for me to have, but could someone use those numbers now and pretend to be them? The estate is settled and there is not longer any property for them to access, but, still. ?

"Credit stop?" I believe that is the correct term. Since I don't have any debts and have no foreseeable need to borrow I went online with the big three credit score companies and had a stop but on all future loans/mortgages.

If I understand correctly, if my identify is stolen and the thief tries to take out a loan in my name, a credit check will bring the process to a stop.

Resting from having grand daughter the last few days.
Don't have her today but will have her Saturday and Sunday.
Strawberry is walking around looking lost without Estelle.
But lookout Saturday and Sunday they both will be wired for sound.
Got a couple of errands to run.
Need to go to Applebee's to use $5 coupon off entree, have to use dang thing by the 3 rd of December.
Working on practice blocks of crochet, making Strawberry's new bed cover. Always make at least 2 practice blocks:
1 block goes in binder along with any notes I have about the block, the other 1 is tossed into bin till I have enough to recover
Strawberry's bed.
Finally got my nails painted. Better than before but still have a ways to go on having painted nails.
At least this time I didn't chip any before the polish got dry. Guess that's progress.
All my belongings will be brought to me in the Spring. Idiot male cut short his hunting trip.
Might have buyer for the horses, tack etc.
But still want my great grandmother's quilting frame, clothing,crafting items.
Don't know what exactly I will do with quilt that's in the frame, take it apart probably, reuse the pieces for something else.
I know the gentleman who is interested in the horses,he'll give me good fair price.
Got to go back to Wal-Mart forgot money order.
But will be quick trip.
Off to run errands.

Well we've got the new range in place. Hubby is setting up it up for propane. He had to build a platform in order to get the old one out and put the new one in place. I'm so glad we can still do this stuff. Hubby was telling me Lowes told him that before they could set it up, one person would have to come out and measure to see if it would fit and then another crew would put it in and more than likely another person would have to come change it over to propane. Talk about a bunch of bullcookies! Thats ridiculous! All for a darn stove?

We built this house ourselves so everything is built to our height ( 6ft). So all the base cabinets and counter tops are higher than normal and so is the stove. Hubby has short sisters ( 5 ft - 5'2") and I have a step stool for them to use to see in the bathroom mirror lol And even with the stool they can't reach the top shelf of the upper cabinets lol

Its actually painful sometimes for me to use normal height sinks and such. I have to bend my back to use them. And forget about normal height toilets. Its like using a child size chair. lol I don't know how basketball players cope as tall as they are.

...So all the base cabinets and counter tops are higher than normal and so is the stove. Hubby has short sisters ( 5 ft - 5'2") ....

Dad built the kitchen base cabinets standard height. Then mom "made" him cut them down to her height. Mom is 4' 3" which makes your Hubby's sisters tall.

Hubby is up on the mountain today. He's supposed to be tearing out the porch and installing a mini split AC unit today. :rolleyes:. He just sent me these pictures.
1130181155.jpg
IMG950065.jpg

Latest posts

Back