What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update of general stuff.
Meat bundle was ordered this morning.
Picked up about 20 minutes ago.
Normally can't pick up till next day.
Hmm, owner was in Meat Market, my order was fixed promptly, so were 6 other meat bundles in various sizes.
Fixed it up in Food Saver quart bags portioned for 1 person(me).
Went ahead and seasoned a couple of the roast: 1 pork,1 beef sealed them up too.
Already got meat bundle in chest freezer.
About half full, hopefully next month will fill completely.
Property taxes thru me for loop, haven't had any property in years.
New to me Fiat is what I'm paying taxes on.
House has been vacuumed, still got to put clean dishes away.
Looking at Christmas present to myself operating manual, Food Saver model FM2000.
I try to update appliances as needed. this is the one I chose this year.
Handheld Food saver bit the dust this month.
It had held up well about a 6 months, normally have to buy 2 year.
That was the second one I had bought this year.
So been saving the money to get bigger one, the one I ended up buying
was on Black Friday sale. Went to pay for it yesterday, they had already reduced it $5.oo more dollars.
I wonder it that department manager knows the one I bought is cross referenced with the one she always out of????
Probably not.......lol.......and got my discount with it too.lol...lol...
Cleaned out one kitchen drawer to put new Food Saver into with all it's attachments.
Still need to do up dab of dishes, take meat wrapper papers, trash out but going to rest for a while.
Strawberry is finally settled on my lap snoring away.

Last edited:
Got up at a decent hour!
Mostly walked the dog..legs were screaming at me every time I tried to jog..tired n worn out from work
Once home..forced myself to hop on treadmill..was warmed up from the dog walk so...
…. dispite it snowing and managed to jog /walk 2 miles.
pooper scooper goat pen more..
Catch up on news..
Headed to the Hot Spring soon!!
love a warm hot spring when it snows...ahh!!

Worked, filled up our empty 5 gallon water bottles. The twins other grandma passed away last night. She was my age, but had been a heroin addict. Sad. They'll be home from school soon and I'll have to tell them. Their great grandma and their adult sister want to visit with them this evening, so I hope that goes ok. We are going to husband's work Christmas party.

I always buy mens shorts, the pockets are bigger. Sweats too. I don't know why the manufactures won't pot pockets in women's sweat pants.

I sure agree about the pockets in women's sweat pants! Most men's shorts don't fit me as I don't have the same waist to hip ratio as most men?.

Started off the day with picking up our grocery order, dating it and packing it into boxes ready for our move and while in town we picked up some shave sticks which seem to be extinct here on special and purchased 6.

Got home and made a homemade cheesecake and a double batch of chocolate chip and coconut queen drop biscuits which are now cooling and soon we will put them away. The kitchen now looks like a bomb has hit it but washing up will be tomorrow as the rest of the house is reasonably tidy.

Tonight's dinner was the other half of our homemade pizza and dessert was some of our homemade cheesecake.

We used to have a closet full of videos, originally VHS and later, DVDs. Like much of the America, we have gotten rid of many. Now it is mostly old family movies and special videos. I put boxes of the home recorded VHS videos out by the trash and they disappeared.

In spite of trying to clean out and purge, I just feel over run with stuff.

Sitting here crocheting fruits and vegetables to go with kitchen daddy(Santa) is getting Estelle for Christmas.
He asked if I would make some fruits and vegetables for the set.
I am contributing some little Tupperware dishes I have collected, maybe some pots and pans too.
Good thing I collect toys.
So sitting here making out my list: peas,grapes;red,green black, tomatoes,pears,bananas,peaches,oranges,carrots,potatoes,sweet potatoes,lemon,limes.
This should use up some more small balls of yarn out of my yarn stash.
Having grandchild is fun, but alot of work too. Not that I'm complaining. I throughly enjoy her.
I have little plastic jars about 3 inches tall, will be putting the peas in that, maybe carrots too.
Got a little wooden bowl little bit bigger than 3 thimbles sitting side by side will become her fruit bowl.
And when she gets done playing with these items at her mom's house it will be coming to my house for her.( Or her mom gets tired of it).
To go with my homemade Hoosier kitchen cabinet, wardrobe complete with little wooden hangers,2 drawer dresser with wishbone mirror,babydoll crib,dolly bed.
Doll pram with dollies. The children's furniture my dad, uncles made for me as a child. Most of the pots and pans were my mom's, mine,my Gram's toys.
The rest I have bought everywhere I was stationed in the Army. Among other places. Some was my ex mother in laws toys when she was a child too.(She's 89 now).
Some was my ex husbands too. Some was her daddy's toys too.

Finally got home last night after the three hardest weeks of my life. A month ago, I got calls from the church ladies back home in NC that my mother was sick and needed me to do something. I knew she had a urinary tract infection, but when they described symptoms, I felt like she needed to go to the ED. My sister took her to the ED, complaining all the time that mom was just looking for attention and there was nothing wrong with her. In the ED, they did a CT scan because of the severity of her pain, and found she had extensive metastatic malignant melanoma. I flew out there, and learned after more testing that she had 11 tumors in her brain, tumors in her thyroid, lungs, bones, around her internal organs, in her liver, and completely throughout all of her lymph nodes. She was still alert and with it when I got there, and she elected to go to a hospice house for management of her symptoms. My brother and I are her powers of attorney and executors, and she took time to go through all of the things she wanted done, including planning her funeral service. Her condition progressed quickly, and she died Thanksgiving morning. I've been in "clinical mode" since then to try to get everything done. I'm glad to be home, where now I can be in daughter mode and do my grieving in private. My brother and I have spent the time since then dealing with our greedy siblings who tried to ransack her house looking for "stuff" under the guise of "helping". It has been (and will continue to be) a nightmare keeping their avarice in check. My sister-in-law wanted to know if there was a will and what did it say. Her husband (my other brother) wanted to know how soon we would meet with the lawyer and distribute the inheritance. I am so disgusted with them. My mom was not rich, but she did manage to put stuff aside for her kids. My brother was pretty angry when I told him there would be no reading of the will and that mom's lawyer would help us distribute whatever inheritance there might be. The lesson in all of this is to make sure you make it perfectly clear for your family in writing whatever your wishes are, and where your assets are located. I promised my son that he would not have to go through what we are going through. Anyway, I am extremely glad to be back home.

Learned another new to me crochet stitch today:Entrelac
Making scrappy hot pad with this little jewel of a stitch.
Will make matching dishcloth,and a couple of pot holders too.
Gift will then be complete.
1 gift done 4 to go all the same thing, just different colors,motifs.
Night all.
Stay dry,warm wherever you are.

Last edited:
@DrPrepper sincerest condolences. My dad is 84, everyday I watch him age and worry.

Today I watched some great collage football. My nephew came by this afternoon. He and his son got my 27 year old fridge out to the edge of the porch. Do recycle people take old refrigerators?

Here is a pic of my new floor and new fridge... along with my ratty 44 year old cabinets and paneling... Love the floor, like the fridge... :)

I had to trim the bottom of my front door about 3/16th of an inch to clear the new flooring... I have an old towel blocking the cold air.

Floor fridge _v1.png

Last edited:
Day of rest for us here today and went to church this morning. Didn't last long at church before I came down with allergic asthma due to all the dust and bushfire smoke around at the moment so came home after sacrament. Medicated and sat down for a while and we made a quadruple batch of oat, honey, almond, coconut and sultana granola to last us until we move.

Probably pack a couple more boxes for our move with bits and pieces lying around the house and our shoes we are not currently using.

Tonight's dinner is something easy crackers with smoked oysters, cheese and or sour cream.

Latest posts

Back