What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Amish Heart we are excited too about the move :) . Had a bit of a scare today as they are pushing out the house settlement day to the 17th of December but upon consultation they are letting us move in early on the 11th so we are free to move our gear in there on the 11th when the removalist is booked for :D . The owner is overseas ?, seriously you would think that with a 2 month settlement date that they would organise not to be overseas wouldn't you :rolleyes: .

My last dentist was awesome, very gentle, handsome, and kind. I have a new one, not liking her demeanor at all. Because of my last two dentists who are personal friends, I'm not a nervous wreck about dental appointments.
Facing some dental work but it'll be ok. I'm grateful for my high tolerance for pain.
@Sewingcreations15 I am so excited for You!

@Amish Heart we are excited too about the move :) . Had a bit of a scare today as they are pushing out the house settlement day to the 17th of December but upon consultation they are letting us move in early on the 11th so we are free to move our gear in there on the 11th when the removalist is booked for :D . The owner is overseas ?, seriously you would think that with a 2 month settlement date that they would organise not to be overseas wouldn't you :rolleyes: .
Unless employment or military requirements.
And sometimes it takes several months for movers to be scheduled especially if you're military.
Good luck!

Strawberry and I got up at our normal time this morning 0700.
My taster must be off again everything has wang taste including my coffee.
I have talked to Estelle this morning before her nap time.
I called her on mom's phone.
She's still talking to Granny ninety to nothing.
Strawberry and I laid back down,so I could read on my murder,sex,violence,love story library book.
We are just getting back up.
Had a great nap.
Strawberry goes out takes care of business.
She's napping on my legs while I sit in recliner.
Before I sat down in recliner, cut, shaved ham that was thawing in refrig.
Got 3 ham steaks in chest freezer now.
1/3 whole ham that I bake for Christmas Day dinner with all the fixings.
Shaved about a 1/3 of it for sandwiches.
It snowed here last night, snow is like little pebbles and few flakes.
Sorted laundry for tomorrow to do. Just got 1 load with everything thrown in together.
But want it done up before the next snow storm hits this weekend.
Have to start car today and let it run for a bit.
Hasn't been started in a couple of days.
My new knee aches today. Just a dull ache, course that's the leg Strawberry's resting her head on.
But my whole body aches too. Weather change is coming.

@MoBookworm1957 yes I believe military housing is a bit like that I have heard.

DH is pensioned/written off TPI military and the house we are purchasing is privately owned. Unfortunately unless DH had been discharged less than 2 years ago we qualified for no help whatsoever with military housing loan interest rate discounts and we bought the house by ourselves and as it turns out we got a far cheaper interest rate (3.69%) than getting assistance through the military's supposedly discounted interest rates (4.44%) on their housing loans. Also peace keeping is not considered active service here but I believe that is now changing recently over here as those who served will be recognised as doing active service. After all even as peace keepers they were shot at on a daily basis by the locals a few times a day.

Last edited:
@MoBookworm1957 yes I believe military housing is a bit like that I have heard.

DH is pensioned/written off TPI military and the house we are purchasing is privately owned. Unfortunately unless DH had been discharged less than 2 years ago we qualified for no help whatsoever with military housing loan interest rate discounts and we bought the house by ourselves and as it turns out we got a far cheaper interest rate (3.69%) than getting assistance through the military's supposedly discounted interest rates (4.44%) on their housing loans. Also peace keeping is not considered active service here but I believe that is now changing recently over here as those who served will be recognised as doing active service. After all even as peace keepers they were shot at on a daily basis by the locals a few times a day.
Thank you for the information, but that's not quite what I meant.
I meant that if the private previous owner was out of country due to employment or military obligations.
It could possibly take a while to schedule the movers to come in remove their belongings.
I know it takes approx. 2-6 months for military movers to come in to pick your belongings, ship to your new duty station, place in storage there until housing is found
Hopefully this clarifies things for you and me. I know when sons couldn't go with me to new duty station, my belongings would go into storage in Missouri until we were reunited. I would then live in the NCO barracks on Post, and save the money. My sons would go live with my parents till I got back.

Did laundry today. As my Christmas present, we had 2 ladies come in and clean house top to bottom! Big difference! Cost $100 but so worth it! Don't know when that will happen again. That was the first time since we moved here. I can do some cleaning, but they do a great job! Tomorrow will be making and canning dog food --so that's a big day for me!

You're going to laugh at me.
And it's okay.
But I never realized until today little girls like to talk.
Being a mom of sons, they don't talk like little girls do.
Getting sons to answer questions with more than 2 words is next to impossible.

Sort of on topic, your story reminded me... when I was a boy I was at a big family reunion. I noticed that the majority of the old men there had hearing issues. I asked an older man, maybe in his 40's "why do so many old men have hearing problems"? He paused, looked at me and said "because God is kind"! :D

Our widow friend's step daughter has moved onto her land with her two daughters, one starting college (looking around) and the other is about 8 or 9...both are so talented, but in completely different ways. The step daughter has been working for the IRC in China for quite a number of years, and is married to a Chinese actor/director. He just flew them out to China and back...then to Paris and back, since he was on location. It's been a whirlwind, but they are getting settled in. The land is very private, 240 acres with its own lake...the house is on an overlook above it. The widow is on oxygen 24/7 and needs care, but has been living with a daughter in Claremont, California and is just home for the holidays, otherwise the step daughter and grand daughters have the house to themselves after the holidays. The young girls are cooking Asian for us tonight. We're jazzed about the meal. I guess I have to shower and get out of my sweats. LOL

I got the dog food prepped and in the slow cookers, ran to the local store for ingredients for 30 mini banana breads and 8 regular loaf size ones. Will make the banana breads Friday. And will pressure can the dog food this afternoon. That's about enough for today.

Just finished lunch.
Went to the doctor's. everything looking good. tests all came back good so I'm finished until june. then its a " well woman" visit. hate those things ugh
forgot the post office is closed today and was going to pick up a package hubby has waiting there
have a load of laundry to do
Think we'll have some fish tonight for supper
have snow flurries now but we're not supposed to get anything from it

Got fed up with all the political hoopla on the radio all over the place and now I'm listening to a local am station that plays easy listening music, occasional Christmas music and has local news and different local programming. I'll probably listen to it until after the holidays. Just tired of it all. I'll switch back and forth between the am station and a local fm station that play classic country

Okay, I admit it, I was wrong today.
Estelle had plenty to say today.
Matter of fact she was still chattering when she went home this afternoon.
She was only quite for about 20 minutes today when she finally took a nap.
Entrelac back on, took mine to friend who does that particular crochet stitch all the time.
Whew! Seems my afghan had turned itself around.
I now have one completed 9 patch of Entrelac.
Making my afghan like 9 patch quilt.
This way I can still use up dibs and dabs of yarn.
He gave me some tips to keep it semi flat.
He also said pick your magic number and stick with it.
My magic number is 7.
7 stitches, 7 rows equals 1 miniature block.
Have semi loose blocks until you start doing the L.
Then tighten them up abit, but not too tight.
Spike Driver,
You be careful in California.
My cousin, his wife and son live out there near the SF bay.
She has to wear mask to breathe, she's also pg.
Laundry done, washed, dried, not put away yet.
Made small Wal*Mart run for fruit and to get at least half of my walk in.
Sweeper has been run throughout the whole house.
Resting.
Strawberry is snoring, she's sleeping curled up in wing back chair.
Estelle got barely out of house to go home,she was snoring.
Everybody have a good day,afternoon,evening or night.
Stay safe and warm.

Last edited:
Completely trashed after yesterday where we had 2 trips out to the farm and we have just about emptied the whole garage of equipment with the only thing left to do is take out the plants and rideon lawn mower on settlement day on the 10th of December. While we were at the farm we swept out the 2 bay locked garage and the meat room before loading all the items in there. Inside the farm house DH vacuumed and cleaned all the door knobs with rubbing alcohol and I cleaned all the inside of the cupboards, the toilets, hand basins and vanity units and mopped all of the vinyl floors and it all sparkles now ready for the move.

This morning for round 1 is that I have stain removed some clothing and have a load of washing on and just about to hang it out then DH will put on a load of washing and hang it out and he has put on a loaf of bread on in the bread making machine. We have people looking through the rental we are currently in to rent it out early as we want to break our lease which is due on the 9th of January. The real estate said they can most likely get someone in early so we don't have to pay more rent. We told the agents so long as they are happy with packed boxes everywhere then we are fine with that.

Round 2 for today is that we have folded up 4 loads of washing and put it away, made the bed with clean sheets, run around the house like lunatics and straightened all the rooms up for the prospective new tenants coming through with the real estate agents tomorrow, thrown out more rubbish, packed all the newly arrived medicines to go in the car with us when we move.

DH is currently cooking dinner which we will finally get to sit down for and enjoy and then nice hot showers to relax for the rest of the night.

OH MY GOSH! My daughter just sent us some pics of Thanksgiving.
One of them is terrible of me. I guess my mirror is cloudy because I was floored.
Even worse she will post it on fakebook for all to see.
Thing about pics if they look good in it it doesen't matter if you look like a toothless bride of Frankenstien they will put it up.
What a rude awakening. Even hubby couldn't soften the blow,he just said " we are gettign older", getting?
No cutting even if I could afford it so maybe try this one.

Better one,

Last edited:
Dentist didn't go as planned. Way too expensive for pulling 2 teeth! Since x-rays are done, I will be taking them to the doc I have been to before. DH thought he was too expensive, so he wanted to try this one and she is even higher. Glad I am going to the one I want to go to. Sometimes DH just won't listen to me. The doc I went to today did give me a proscription for pain pills for a few days and an antibiotic.

In other news, I've washed the two pups and made about a couple of Christmas cards. So far, that's is but the day is young-ish!

Oh, and I got 21 pints of dog food! 18 went in the canner and the last 3 are in the fridge.

Latest posts

Back