What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Church this morning and surprise! Our pastor resigned. He and his wife are very young and are moving to the other side of the State where he will be an associate pastor. Sometimes it is good to NOT be in the loop, I think. Guess I will wait and see who comes in next. After church, I deadheaded the rose garden, made guacamole for DH and completed a few other tasks for him. My Peanut just had another seizure. She has been having about one a month lately. The doc put our schnauzer on phenobarb for seizures, which worked great until DH decided to take him off because he thought the pup was better. If I can get her on it, I will have no plans to take her off. I hate seizures!
I just googled about seizures again and will try changing the food that I make for them before I try a drug.

Heading off to church again this evening and then hopefully relaxing a while.

Snappy. Our pastor resigned back in Dec. His last Service is the first Sunday of Feb. He's been with the church a long time and is an excellent preacher. I hate to see him leave. They have already gotten his replacement set, so there shouldn't be a long transition period.

Today we took a drive up to the mountains. Lots of rain last few weeks so the creeks and rivers were high, not out of the banks,, but running good. Also made reservations at a campground for e long weekend here in a few weeks.

yesterday,
took dog for walk to neighbors ranch, checked on cats there.
cleaned most of the day inside
caught up on news in evening.
Had a fire going late, listening to a storm roll in as beautiful music played off youtube .
finally went to sleep after 0300
got up too late to go to church..working night shift really screws with my schedule and Im transitioning to day shift now in a day n half..sigh..dang..
took dog for nice long walk..
noticed my wild mustang friend was down for hours..
I called to him and he tried to get up but gave up..
His owner came out and told him to get up and fired a pistol to spook him up..
unfortunetly, this old guy cant be handled , at least by his owner to well...
Not the owners fault..he is doing the best he can.. and the horse is fairly wild..
When his owner got him, he had a halter and frayed lead rope on him probably for years..the halter was digging into his nose..
the new owner, my neighbor down the road, was finally able to get it off of him but it was a rodeo from what I hear..
the mustang now has about 20 acres to run on, no halter digging into his face and no demands expect to live ..
His story was he was caught wild in his younger years, then kept in a small stall/paddock for years, no one could handle him easily without a rodeo.
This neighbor adopted him from his previous owner about 2 years ago..
He is about 25 years old and a stud..and the most beautiful mustang Ive ever seen..
I started to befriend him last winter along with my other neighbor
She named him Poncho, I named him Buddie, his real name is Cochease
We both have been able to give him treats like apples, carrots and some cob..he allows us to pet him lightly
He responds to mellow energy..no fast movements, loud talking or planned manipulations to touch him..he is a savey creature and contact is on his terms..if I am allowed to pet him..it is because he wants to be petted and scratched..
In kind, He has learned to not use his teeth to scrape grain treats haistly from my hand..I require him to take it gently or he doesn't get it..he responded with the gentleness I needed for contact and hasent lasped since the first time he tried to rush it..
He is a sensitive intelligent boy..
There was a time when over the fence I was down in my backpack getting the grain ..he reached over the fence and was smelling my hair and back..nuzzling slightly..I stood still letting him get my scent knowing he will either grab me n toss me like Ive heard other stallions do or just check me out.
Trust goes both ways..I decided to trust him and since then both me and my dog are ok to move, talk and whatever freely with out a negative response from him.

Ive seen his owner have some success to win trust..he's learned some humans are ok to a point, but he is still wild and probably will always be..
So this am he was laying down ..owner gets him up but on way back from walk..back down..
this afternoon I take a drive ..down..I stop and try to get him up..he atleast sits up but is back down.. :(
Last weekend when I gave him his apples..I noticed he has a mustache..a pearly white and black mustache like you see on drafts or vanners..
Not a huge stach..but like a classy small groomed stach curling out in two perfect old school style mustaches in old photos of pioneer vintage photos..
I know he is old..but I hope to see him at least one more summer prancing around his acerage ,long full mane and tail flowing wild in the wind .
He is a wild American Mustang..however this turns out..I am grateful that I was accepted into his small circle of pals..I can only hope these last few years were the best of his life..
I will keep you posted..

yesterday,
took dog for walk to neighbors ranch, checked on cats there.
cleaned most of the day inside
caught up on news in evening.
Had a fire going late, listening to a storm roll in as beautiful music played off youtube .
finally went to sleep after 0300
got up too late to go to church..working night shift really screws with my schedule and Im transitioning to day shift now in a day n half..sigh..dang..
took dog for nice long walk..
noticed my wild mustang friend was down for hours..
I called to him and he tried to get up but gave up..
His owner came out and told him to get up and fired a pistol to spook him up..
unfortunetly, this old guy cant be handled , at least by his owner to well...
Not the owners fault..he is doing the best he can.. and the horse is fairly wild..
When his owner got him, he had a halter and frayed lead rope on him probably for years..the halter was digging into his nose..
the new owner, my neighbor down the road, was finally able to get it off of him but it was a rodeo from what I hear..
the mustang now has about 20 acres to run on, no halter digging into his face and no demands expect to live ..
His story was he was caught wild in his younger years, then kept in a small stall/paddock for years, no one could handle him easily without a rodeo.
This neighbor adopted him from his previous owner about 2 years ago..
He is about 25 years old and a stud..and the most beautiful mustang Ive ever seen..
I started to befriend him last winter along with my other neighbor
She named him Poncho, I named him Buddie, his real name is Cochease
We both have been able to give him treats like apples, carrots and some cob..he allows us to pet him lightly
He responds to mellow energy..no fast movements, loud talking or planned manipulations to touch him..he is a savey creature and contact is on his terms..if I am allowed to pet him..it is because he wants to be petted and scratched..
In kind, He has learned to not use his teeth to scrape grain treats haistly from my hand..I require him to take it gently or he doesn't get it..he responded with the gentleness I needed for contact and hasent lasped since the first time he tried to rush it..
He is a sensitive intelligent boy..
There was a time when over the fence I was down in my backpack getting the grain ..he reached over the fence and was smelling my hair and back..nuzzling slightly..I stood still letting him get my scent knowing he will either grab me n toss me like Ive heard other stallions do or just check me out.
Trust goes both ways..I decided to trust him and since then both me and my dog are ok to move, talk and whatever freely with out a negative response from him.

Ive seen his owner have some success to win trust..he's learned some humans are ok to a point, but he is still wild and probably will always be..
So this am he was laying down ..owner gets him up but on way back from walk..back down..
this afternoon I take a drive ..down..I stop and try to get him up..he atleast sits up but is back down.. :(
Last weekend when I gave him his apples..I noticed he has a mustache..a pearly white and black mustache like you see on drafts or vanners..
Not a huge stach..but like a classy small groomed stach curling out in two perfect old school style mustaches in old photos of pioneer vintage photos..
I know he is old..but I hope to see him at least one more summer prancing around his acerage ,long full mane and tail flowing wild in the wind .
He is a wild American Mustang..however this turns out..I am grateful that I was accepted into his small circle of pals..I can only hope these last few years were the best of his life..
I will keep you posted..

What an inspiring story. :heart: I'd say his last years of life is his best considering what could have happened.We have seen mustangs and donkeys at BLM auctions and the donks do better than the horses unless they are colts. But there has been some fine show animals from their too.

I got small chores done yesterday and today. I got all my new flooring swiffer wet mopped and gave the bathroom a good cleaning. I took off my front door knob and replaced it with my new door lever. It seems my hands are always full when I come home and try to unlock and open the door. I hope a handle will make it easier. I'm going to put the front door knob on my back door. The old back door knob was worn out years ago, time for an upgrade.

Finished the housework and the laundry and had to go into work for an hour this afternoon. Filled up 6 of our 5 gallon water bottles. Did some cooking for this week's lunches. Youngest daughter came by for dinner. Two neighbor kids came by to visit the twins and stayed for dinner, too. Not happy that tomorrow is Monday.

Didn't everything cleaned out of kitchen cabinets.
but made pretty good size dent in several cabinets.
Emptied tote it will go in sewing room closet tomorrow.
Had beans for supper, never got around to making cornbread.
Got a two hour nap this afternoon which I needed desperately.
Got my days and nights mixed up again.
Still got my migraine.
Have doctor's appointment on Tuesday so will get migraine checked too.
Night all.

I took off my front door knob and replaced it with my new door lever. It seems my hands are always full when I come home and try to unlock and open the door. I hope a handle will make it easier. I'm going to put the front door knob on my back door. The old back door knob was worn out years ago, time for an upgrade.
I have replaced the door knobs with levers on all the doors my wife typically opens.
She has trouble with regular door knobs because of her arthritis.
Down side is the cat can open the bedroom door so we have to keep it locked so he doesn't come in at night and wake us up.

Round 1 we have been into town this morning and DH dropped me off to see my friend in the aged care facility and came and picked me up when he was finished at the doctors office. My friend and I had a good time together and we are reading and studying David in particular in Corinthians 1 which was her request. She cannot read the scriptures now due to her cataracts and loves to be read to and have scriptural discussions too. DH joined in and it was good to have a 3 way discussion on what our impressions were about what we read and what stood out to us.

Then we went into town and picked up a 20 mt roll of sullage hose (they only had one) so we ordered one for next month when we go to town, connectors and sprinkler as our grey water is plumbed into the sullage pit, not good and some weird ways to plumb things are going on here from the previous owners but we will sort it out gradually. We also picked up a cat flap for Tabatha so now we can put the window screen back and she can get in and out and bugs won't get into the house and a new outdoor garden tap as the last one was leaking and old. We intend to replace every outdoor tap as money becomes available in our budget.

DH has put in the cat flap, changed the outdoor tap over for the new one, cut the pipe from the grey water leading to the sullage pit and put on fittings to attach the grey water to the sullage hose and sprinkler we brought today. There will now be no more swelled mountains of dirt around the sullage pit and tanks yay ! and it will finally dry out over a few months we think.

Snappy. Our pastor resigned back in Dec. His last Service is the first Sunday of Feb. He's been with the church a long time and is an excellent preacher. I hate to see him leave. They have already gotten his replacement set, so there shouldn't be a long transition period.

Today we took a drive up to the mountains. Lots of rain last few weeks so the creeks and rivers were high, not out of the banks,, but running good. Also made reservations at a campground for e long weekend here in a few weeks.

I'm just waiting to see what God has in store next! Our young Preacher was an excellent teacher rather than Preacher. Apparently, some didn't like that. Those were some beautiful photos of Cade's Cove, @Bacpacker ! Is there still an old cabin on the loop? I remember walking around in one.

My plans are to stay home and mess around outside some, do laundry and write some eBay drafts. We will see how that goes.

Last edited:
Going to go pick up last weeks newspapers from parents house.
This does two things, I can check on them without them becoming upset.
And mom thinks she's enriching my mind with week old drivel.
Will be taking over a couple library books over to mom too.
Beings I am going to doctor tomorrow I will get my monthly book donation ready for them.
Finally found that annoying beeping sound, it was my watch that Estelle hid.
Good thing I have small hands, no way my oldest son could have gotten his hands inside my recliner springs.
Also found 4 more letters off the alphabet cookie sheet, tucked up under the springs at the back of the recliner underneath.
Now we are just missing the letters Q and D.
Been on hands and knees looking for salt and pepper shaker that has been AWOL from shadowbox for a month.
Found them both finally.
Estelle thinks we are playing new type of game when Granny and Daddy are on tummies looking for items.
She just giggles and crawls all over us both.
She walks back and forth from living room to sewing room just as fast as those little legs will carry her.
Strawberry is right beside her.
Don't have her today, so will get some more deep cleaning done this afternoon.
But Nosey Nellie(Strawberry) will be trying to poke her head where I am to see what's so interesting in that cabinet.
Had to physically remove Strawberry and Estelle so I could back out of cabinet yesterday.
Wasn't a lot of room there in that cabinet to start with or so I thought.
I was wrong.
Oldest son just laughed as he removed them so I could back out.
Got to go somewhere and get some coffee, just put the last in canister.
I thought I had more in that cabinet, I was wrong about that too.

Survived work. We had an interesting 4 yr old start today, his brother is older and with us full time for Kindergarten. This child, though, is something else. Decided to throw a temper tantrum for not much of a reason, and kept going for an hour. He would claw his face and draw blood. Told me he would bite himself, too, unless I gave him some candy. Mom was called, and I left for an eye exam. Then off to the bank and postoffice. Granddaughter has American Heritage Girls tonight, so it's a busy night.

My main reason for the news is the weather. Then there's stuff like the gov shut down. In which I like to keep tabs on.all else i pretty well ignor by doing some house cleaning or what ever on the internet.
Meer, that is me. I don't watch the news often, and usually it is for the weather or something special. It seems as though it just gets my blood pressure up.

Wise decisions and hope to get over my addiction to it soon too.

Spent the afternoon and tonight worrying. started right after I saw the news about trumps speech tomorrow night. It excites me that something may actually happen. but it worries me sick that I'm not ready for what may come from it as hard as I've tried to get ready.

I haven't watched the news all week, what's it supposed to be about?

I'm just waiting to see what God has in store next! Our young Preacher was an excellent teacher rather than Preacher. Apparently, some didn't like that. Those were some beautiful photos of Cade's Cove, @Bacpacker ! Is there still an old cabin on the loop? I remember walking around in one.

My plans are to stay home and mess around outside some, do laundry and write some eBay drafts. We will see how that goes.

Yeah Snappy there are several cabins in the cove. And 4 or so churches, several barns, and a still working Grist Mill that just had a new wheel built and installed last year.

Terri, I would guess the press conference is about the Government shutdown and Border security.

Spent the afternoon and tonight worrying. started right after I saw the news about trumps speech tomorrow night. It excites me that something may actually happen. but it worries me sick that I'm not ready for what may come from it as hard as I've tried to get ready.
What did I miss?

Daughter in law shawl
Message_1543591971812.jpg

Latest posts

Back