What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it's on the website. I read somewhere that it was in the middle of a document. Sorry, can't remember where I read that.
Had work, but a short day. A number of students were out with fevers, and some out because they were going out of town. So very quiet. I had computer work to do, but my computer took a dive, so hoping husband will stop by the school tomorrow and make it work.
Got to meet husband for lunch today after his pulmonary rehab he goes to. Had a gift card for Rudy's. I love their pulled pork. Cold and rainy out. Need to go deal with the animals and get some indoor stuff down. Reloaded the dehydrator with more cooked brown rice. I think I have about 10 lbs more to cook and dry. Some just told me that Costco ran out of their big buckets of prepper mac cheese. I told him it probably wasn't worth the $, unless it was on super sale. Honestly, you can get dehydrated cheese, milk and butter from Emergency Essentials, fill a bucket with mac noodles. Maybe it's sold to the cooking impaired.

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/f...Catastrophic Power Outage Study_508 FINAL.pdf

Spent the day helping a friend out in the country. Drove home at dark in really bad fog. I've driven on Skyway Drive in Pennsylvania at night in fog and nothing like this! I couldn't see to pull off the road, much less 10 ft. in front of me! Was very glad to get home!

This morning we started off with picking up an elder friend and her friend in our car to go to church as her son and daughter in law are in Brazil on holiday and she doesn't drive. We had a good time at church and mainly went over the new learning material and how best to use it and implement it into our lives. Afterwards we had sandwich Sunday but unlike us with all the plumbing issues we didn't bring a plate to share as we are completely frazzled, oh well we shall do better next month.

Today we got the right mains pressure pvc pipe to fit out the front and used the joiner we purchased yesterday and DH tried to put the pipe in but there is a magnetic softener in the line and it had an odd fitting on it that wouldn't fit anything and was leaking badly so he took it out along with the filter and ran a complete piece of pipe and now the pipe isn't leaking anymore. That makes number 2 small leak fixed and we now think we have got all the leaks repaired and the grey water diverted now to a grey water sprinkler saving us about $300 - $400 in fees should we have called out a plumber to do it for us and the parts only cost us around $40. It pays you to be handy and not get tradespeople in all the time to do repairs.

Tonight for our family home evening we will do an inventory of our food storage to see what we have used and need to stock up on further for our next shopping day early next month.

We did the usual saturday thing here yesterday. Breakfast out ( yummy diner food ). Then went to walmart so hubby could get his beer and I picked up what else I needed. The only things on sale we're stuff for football games ( chips ,dips,etc.) Since it was going to start snowing in the afternoon hubby went ahead and burned our trash.
We watched some tv and I read some of my Dolphins of Pern book. Then had supper. I wasn't long for bed at 7:30

Today we've had about 6in of snow so far overnight and we're in a break but more snow is on the way in about 40mins according to accuweather lol
I slept in until almost 7 this morning. very rare for me. I'll make breakfast here directly, then I have hubby's laundry to do. And I have to clean the stove. For some reason the pizza stuck to my pizza stone and some cheese bubbled off onto the bottom
I went out on the front porch this morning and everything is so quiet
Plan on watching tv if anything is on and reading my book.
I'm leaning towards pork chops for supper

Laundry is finally finished.
Had the grand daughter yesterday unexpectly.
Mom just dropped her off after I answered the door bell.
Took grand daughter home at 6 pm.
Was only supposed to have for a couple of hours while mom went to Wal*Mart and grocery store.
Had her since 11:30 to 6 pm.
Dishes are done. Well washed drying in strainer.
Table is cleaned off. again.....
Sweeper run throughout the house.
I think mom thought I would just keep her all day and night.
Due to weather, road conditions.
Mom got a fooling. Took tired, cranky little girl home to her own bed.
Feed her good healthy food, gave her a bath, dressed her in clean dry clothes.
Didn't tell mom that she and I took 2 hour nap.
Strawberry and I were tired when I got back home.
We were in bed by 7:30 pm, wiped out.
Soup simmering on stove smells good.
Some roads are still slick, I got about a foot of snow.
Cracked my head this morning on icicle hanging off wind chime.

@MoBookworm1957 childcare doesn't sound resolved.
I'm surprised you went out. Maybe mom was hoping you'd be snowed in with Estelle.
I've got a headache. The pollen has been bugging me.
When it snows here, everything stops. Not much sand is sprinkled, there are zero state snow plows. If it ever snowed, a snow removal business could make some dollars.
I'm meal planning today.

I need to get my meal planning done, but will put it off till tomorrow. Tomorrow dinner is leftovers anyway; we have American Heritage Girls and Boy Scouts. We had snow all day, but it's a muddy mess now. The food is waiting for the last minute stuff and family to arrive for son's party. I am putting my feet up for a little bit. Went into work for an hour and husband tried to fix my computer mess, but couldn't.

Don't mind having her normally.
Had to get out and check on parents anyway.
But the next 2 or 3 days will be playing catch up on my chores here normally.
After second nap, got a lot done today.
Just got to run sweeper tomorrow again.
Cook again just about ate that 6 quart stockpot of soup.
Might have 2 bowls left.
Any more I just have her 2 days a week.
Yesterday, Estelle dialed my mom on my phone.
She didn't quite know what to think about Grandma's voice on Granny's phone.
She kept looking behind the phone looking for Grandma.

Learned the neighbors are preppers! The wives were talking today and we found out they have a year's supply of food for their whole clan stored at their house. Also we learned of a local (45 miles away) place where we can buy bulk food products cheap (must be ordered ahead). We will be checking that out.
Neighbors are also considering solar power but so far, like me, are holding back because of the high expense and no reasonable return on the investment (like us they do have a generator). Maybe we could buy at the same time/place and get a better price by getting two complete solar systems. Will likely pursue that line of thought some with them.

We have been having a herd of about 100 elk hanging around our place for the last several days. Sometimes I look at them and then go check how much room we have in our freezer:)
It is great to have long term storage food that is handy to get and is full of protein.
1-12-7.JPG

I hung a bird feeder about 20 feet away from my kitchen window. I like to watch the birds while I'm doing the dishes. We have red fox squirrels around here, and they became a nuisance last year when I hung up the bird feeder. I'm hoping they don't find it for a while.
I love bird watching and seeing all the varieties of birds, but the squirrels just empty my feeders. I once watched a squirrel grab my bird feeder and shake it until it was emptied onto the ground. I gave it up.

Had Estelle and oldest son this morning.
Wasn't expecting them.
Barely up and dressed.
Granny just read stories to Estelle.
We danced awhile, listened to country music.
Granny started to fix lunch, Estelle right beside me in the high chair helping.
Granny gave her taste of raw potatoes ; red and the last sweet.
Gave her a carrot to chew on while I cut them up.
Got a nine quart pot of hamburger soup going in pressure cooker/canner.
Suppose to get more snow later this week.
Yea Haw!
I just go about my day, she follows along behind me.
Got the toys picked up, next time Strawberry goes outside will run the sweeper everywhere.
Updating grocery list for sometime next week.

Ran to Walmart and Dollar tree. Also thrift store for a couple of pairs of shorts since I don't have any that fit anymore. Paid a hospital bill that I shouldn't have owed but tired of it hanging over me. Stopped at DH's doctor to see if they got records from the VA (of course not). We need to start calling VA. Came home and made chicken fajitas in the Instant pot. Love it! Don't have much else planned for today, but will see what happens.

Worked. A little grocery shopping. Need to put it away and get some chores done. Tonight is American Heritage Girls Court of Honor, so I'll be home late...enough time for shower and bed. But..tomorrow I go in later and work till 6:30, so I need to organize the breakfast, lunch, and dinner cooking for tomorrow.

I hung a bird feeder about 20 feet away from my kitchen window. I like to watch the birds while I'm doing the dishes. We have red fox squirrels around here, and they became a nuisance last year when I hung up the bird feeder. I'm hoping they don't find it for a while.
Put grease on the pole and let the squirrels come. That's as much fun to watch as the birds are...

We have been having a herd of about 100 elk hanging around our place for the last several days. Sometimes I look at them and then go check how much room we have in our freezer:)
It is great to have long term storage food that is handy to get and is full of protein.
View attachment 10113
@hiwall that right there is what should be called "fast food"! :D

After breakfast this morning I went out and uncovered my toyota of the 3 extra inches we got yesterday evening lol
Also cleared off the sidewalk and ramp to the front porch
Changed the sheets on the bed and washed the dirty ones and folded them/put them away
Finished Dolphins of Pern, now I started The Skies of Pern ( the next in the series)
Made supper.
Apparently hubby went on a shopping trip and brought home a new gas powered snow blower. An Arens (sp?), he said they bought out Gravely *shrugs* whatever.
I know I keep saying it but one of these days I WILL do it, I have to take that credit card away from him
Its time for dessert then I have to get hubby's lunch ready and the coffee pot ready and then bed(ahhh)
And start this all over again tomorrow

Latest posts

Back