What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my saw. I had a room mate a long time ago that had a tree service. This brand is all he would own. Been a great one for me. Starts every time.

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/chainsaws/450/966906738/

I'm back at it today. Trying to beat the freeze that is coming.

Jac hubby ha a Poulan Pro 'spl' but it is an old one ,guess they made them better 15 years ago . He hasn't done that much work on it and a couple of the family has used it to when they visit. And not as careful with tools as we are.

This is my saw. I had a room mate a long time ago that had a tree service. This brand is all he would own. Been a great one for me. Starts every time.

If I had a need for a chain saw that would be the one I would buy.
I don't really have a need for one any more.
I do have an electric pole saw but I have only used it twice in the last 5 years.

Had to go to Walmart for oil and filter for my car and AC filter, Verizon to change something on DH's phone (twice), local grocery having big sale, thrift stores because that's what we do. Came home and made King Cake Bubble Up for get together tonight for 80th Birthday for Sunday School member. Still have to pick up friend for get together and get cake to Church early. I'm pooped! And hungry. Hard to smell the cinnamon cake and not eat it!

Took the kid to get her heart monitor. Round trip of 140 miles and a huge fight with the wind on the way home, with no monitor. The internet went down while we were there and the entire area was affected. The monitor has to be programmed and registered with the online monitoring system and they couldn't do it. So.... Another trip on Monday, hopefully with out the 50mph winds. My poor jeep does NOT like the wind.

Since it's going to be rainy or cold for the foreseeable future I though I'd continue with tool maintenance. Today I emptied the pliar bag and vacuumed it out. I laid out all the pliars, side cutters, wire strippers etc and gave them a good coat of Barricade. For those who don't know Barricade is a rust preventative spray for firearms. It works well on any tool.

Next will be the pointy bag, anything with a point, screwdrivers, wood chisels etc. I'm missing my metric bag, haven't used it a long time. It'll turn up!

Baricade_v1.jpg

Shoveled a couple inches of snow this morning. Getting ready for the next one moving in tomorrow. 3"-6" is in the forecast.

Here is my family of saws. I've used nothing but Stihl for over 30 years. The two oddballs are both Dolmar's someone gave me as payment for a job. I bought a husky many years ago. It never ran right. It was in the dealer's shop more than in the field with me. I finally gave it to one of my
employees.
P1010567.JPG

Had Estelle this morning.
She came in, took coat off, went straight to high chair ready for real food.
Our breakfast this morning was scrambled eggs(3), toast, orange.
Snack was small glass of milk, banana.
Lunch was ham sandwich, apple slices, with table spoon of peanut butter for dipping, 12 raisins.
My supper will be bowl of cereal, milk, orange, coffee.
Snack later have not clue.
Had company of one cousin whom volunteered me to make Uncle's Quilt of Valor stop by today.
Didn't have much to say to her, just sat there working on Uncle's afghan.
Her sister, the other cousin whom volunteered me to make Uncle's Quilt of Valor stopped by Wednesday.
They each stopped by to check on progress of said Quilt.
Told both individually, didn't know what they were talking about.
I wasn't making anybody a Quilt of Valor.
Someday I might make myself a Quilt of Valor.
But I hadn't done any quilting for over a year, nor had I been sewing, doing much of anything.
All the time sat there working on Uncle's afghan.
It's growing row by row so to speak.
Both looked panic when they left.
Serves them right.
Taking online classes have been doing that for over a year off and on.

Nothing much on the tv after supper. I thought I wipe down the tools on the bench and put them away. I was surprised how much crud came off on the rag. So... I put the wire wheel on the dremel tool and tried to knock off 20 years worth of crud. They turned out great! Not shiny like brand new but much, much better.

When I serviced CT's my tools stayed pristine, not so much here on the farm, dusty fields and a dirty shop.

I have a similar saw. Mines an older model 51. Nearly 30 years later still runs great. Had a buddy that was a state forester and Husky's are all they used. Good enough recommendation for me.

just getting caught up here and there..
crazy work week schedule.
sunday night call, don't come in mon morning but be ready by noon for half a day shift. ok...
get call at 1300, not running yet but you need to work swing 1700-0330 am..wha??
Ive been up since 0500 for day shift, how am I a option at this point?? were in a bind..reply..me..-hit!!
How am I to drive home awake after 23 hours .."find a ride"
me: thinking of quitting at this point ..but Ive done it before..sucked but dang..
work: oh, so after shift go home, sleep for a few and come in to finish your day shift...
me: WTHeck...wahaa?? Ok.."steam boiling outta head by now..I will be in WHEN and after I wake up..
work: ok..
Me thinking: major motivator to finish my book and other projects going because.._crew this bull____ on top of 50 plus hours a week..gah..!
Otherwise catching up on news..LOL"ed on Trumps grounding of dems ride to Davos! Haha! another vaca cancelled..

You're a jack of all trades, Mo.
Not really, but thank you though.
The forensic class was the last one I needed to finish my degree for my next military promotion.
And I had already paid for it earlier.
The cooking classes are things I enjoy now.
Also interested in horticulture classes.

Today was another stinking hot day at near on 38 0c here so not a lot done.

DH tried out our new hedge trimmer and I did too and it works a treat to trim the jasmine vines with but it did get too hot so we will continue this early on Monday morning. This afternoon we made a batch of chocolate fudge made from food storage and yes we had a few pieces.

About 3 this afternoon the heat was oppressive so we dunked ourselves in the rainwater tank pool for quite a while to cool off and sat in the breeze of the undercover veranda to cool off and it was lovely.

Tonight's dinner was the second half of our homemade chicken, corn and mushroom pie with ice cream for dessert.

Just got back from being out and about
Had breakfast at the diner
Went and braved walmart before an ice storm...geesh produce section was an obstacle course but I got 5lbs of tangerines and some potatoes that I needed. Love those tangerines for a snack
I have everything put away and I need to change my clothes. Hubby is making sure the generator is all ready and burned our trash and I plan on topping off the puppie's automatic feeder and their water bucket. I want to put another 1/4 of bale of straw in their box too. Its gonna be bitterly cold sunday and monday
After that we just wait on the ice,sleet,snow,freezing rain, more snow then all rain with a rapid freeze. ( oh goody :rolleyes:)

I had a interesting start to my day today..
at about 0630 the power went out.
I think it might be time for a new battery in the Genni
last time on its once a month power up I noticed it didn't start up right away, normally it is darn near immediately.
so when the power has gone out before, I didn't even know until I went outside and heard Genni running.
This am it went dark for a few seconds. So It seems I have to figure out what's up with Genni.
However, once started its been on and running well. It just now turned off, so the power guys must have found the issue.
Also, there was no snow in the last forcast I viewed.
I left my truck outside for the night too and as I was looking out the window when the power went out..I have about a good 6 inches on fresh snow on Truckie
Dang...
Shoulda parked in the shop..I noticed at 03?? something am, the weather service issued a statement.
Has anyone else noticed the official weather folks are getting a lot wrong lately?? I usually watch a youtube guy who does his weather forcasting and is fairly right on but Ive skipped the last few days .
owell..
So, I decided to get up and get a nice fire going, I powered down non essential stuff like heaters in the house and whatnot.
I got hash, eggs and coffee going on Stovie too..
I fed the critters and just checked on their water troughs
I have a nice view of a little valley and I could see one light far away towards the south.
I know of one other neighbor who has a gennni, and noticed another neighbor strait across the field about a mile and a half away had a light on.
In a long term power down situation, I wouldn't want anyone to see I had power. I know my one neighbor has a genni because they live past me and have seen mine when I was getting it , asked about it and thanks to me the dealer had another customer. Luckily, we live at the end of a dead end road and neither of the genni's are visable from the road. But at night..when all is dark I could see the lights in the next little town 20 miles away this am.
Long term power outage..my neighbors bright outside lights could be a problem ..
I used to have two motion sensor ones but they drove me crazy, so I either removed the bulbs or shut them off.
I like it dark so I can stargaze. I always kept my outside lights off everywhere I lived and only used them if I needed. Usually, I just throw my headlamp on if im feeding or checking on a noise.
I think outside lights plastered all over are pretty wastefull really..especially out here.
But I do like the nights
Gennie has come back on twice now..guess its going to be one of those days..Id better get on my chores

Shoveled a couple inches of snow this morning. Getting ready for the next one moving in tomorrow. 3"-6" is in the forecast.

Here is my family of saws. I've used nothing but Stihl for over 30 years. The two oddballs are both Dolmar's someone gave me as payment for a job. I bought a husky many years ago. It never ran right. It was in the dealer's shop more than in the field with me. I finally gave it to one of my
employees.
View attachment 10161

My goodness are you a lumber jack?

Not really, but thank you though.
The forensic class was the last one I needed to finish my degree for my next military promotion.
And I had already paid for it earlier.
The cooking classes are things I enjoy now.
Also interested in horticulture classes.

Just be careful what classes they give you. No sense in 3 of the 5 they pushed on me. To top it off we did 100s of 1000s of plants for Atlanta Olympics in 1996 I think it was.
Got our favorite professor fired for arguing with them over sending us out in lightening storm to plant some of them.
We gave him a big send off ,gifts and played,

Latest posts

Back