What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surgery on my right 1,2,& 3 fingers due arthritis changes. I’m finally waking up enough to type.

Good luck on the surgery @NannyPatty.

It's still fairly early but already I've done several loads of washing *still in love with my new washing machine*.
Love my new washing basket.
Loaded the dish washer and set it going.
Dragged out the sealed bags of winter clothing and bedding and I've been sorting them out.
I need warmer garden clothes in darker hues going by the amount of badly stained items I got out of storage.
I need beanies and warm gloves that will cope with getting wet.
I want a dark coloured gardening apron with lots of pouches and pockets.
I want a thicker woollen underlay for the bed and a winter weight doona and
I may even spoil myself with a set of fleece sheets.
Did I say how much I HATE being cold?
I do.
Anybody would think I'm kitting up to get ready for an Alaskan winter.

Oiled up my bolt cutters ready for Tuesdays effort.

Today is the right moon phase to plant my tomatoes and zucchini but I'm not sure
I should.
My gut is telling me it's still too hot to plant anything.
I'll hold off for another cycle and see what the whacky weather decides to do.
These tomato seeds are way too expensive to waste them on a failed planting.

Surgery on my right 1,2,& 3 fingers due arthritis changes. I’m finally waking up enough to type.

Thanks all! I had the surgery this morning. I was a little vague. Everythin went fine and the dr reported to the nurses that it was easier than he thought it would. Now for good, no infection , healing. Then on to the next stage which will be my left hand.

we were very lucky, the bushfires didn't get too close to us. However we are now dealing with a heavy smoke haze, can't have the doors or windows open as the smoke makes it hard to breath. The washing is piling up, no point putting it outside, and even using the dryer means I have to go into the garage to use it.
@Tank-Girl, I bought a pure wool underlay with padded backing at the op shop last week for $8, and it looks like it hasn't been used. Now on the bed and it is so comfy.

Won't be online for awhile.
My mom passed away unexpectly this evening.
My mom was only 15 years older than me.
I found her tonight thankfully instead of my dad.
Today is my dad's 80th birthday.
Dad is 18 years older than me.
Mom had a massive heart attack.
At least she went quick.
My siblings have been called.
They will start arriving in the next few days.
Some as early as tomorrow.

I am very sorry to hear of your loss.
My prayers to you and your family.

All my brother, and sisters are in town now.
The last of the nieces and nephews will be here tomorrow.
Then the last of cousins should be here by 10 pm Saturday night.
Then just have to get through the weekend and Monday.
My company that was supposed to show up next week, showed up last night.
Thankfully both my sons were here when he showed up.
They dealt with him for the most part.
I honestly don't think I could have handled him too.
Have my great grandmother hand carved by my great grandfather quilt frame back.
My clothes and personal effects are here too.
They unloaded his truck and sent him on his way back to Tn.
They collected my house key before they sent him away.
His brother in law said he would call and check on me in afew weeks.
Right now my grief was to sharp and strong.
Thank you all for your prayers, thoughts and concerns.
Eventually dad and I will find our way.
We are taking it an hour at a time, day at a time.
When he and I are the only ones left in this town besides my oldest son and granddaughter maybe we can both finally sleep.
Neither one of are sleeping, eating very good. Me, I'm not hungry, especially if I know I'm just going to upchuck it right back up.
Have lost about 5 pounds so far this week. I don't sleep well to start with couple hours here and there.
Dad's the same way, on sleeping.
I really needed to read about normal everyday stuff, cause right now my life is anything but normal.
Thank you all again.
Everybody be safe, stay well.

So check this out. We’ve had a kid on our job for the last few years that had a little trouble with the law and a serious drinking problem. He had been in a halfway house and a rehabilitation program for the last 18 months. I saw him turn into a hell of a young man while he was in treatment. Knowing he didn’t have anywhere to go after the program I offered a old bachelor style apartment in our shop building for free all he had to do was pay the electricity. So this is what I get. Doing burn outs INSIDE of the apartment he loses control and runs through the door knocking the entire two story wall off of the foundation. I threw his crap out in the yard and sent him on down the road...

mess1.jpg

mess2.jpg

mess3.jpg

mess4.jpg

mess5.jpg

My great nephew came up this afternoon to check on his cows. He was driving a different dually than he usually drives. I don't know if he has what it takes to raise beef cattle but he is real good a buying and selling used farm equipment. He's been doing it since he was a junior in high school, he only graduated this past June...

He said the dually he was driving was one of three he bought at an estate sale today, along with 4 tractors and all the farm equipment. He said it'll take him 3 weeks to haul everything back home.

He didn't say how much he spent today but I'm guessing somewhere between 60 and $90K. Jeez, an 18 year old kid walking around with $90K in pocket money he earned honestly. Color me impressed!

Good to hear that you are safe @megh but not good about the bushfire smoke. Hopefully it will all settle shortly and you can get back to your normal routine. I have seen pictures of many houses lost and pray for them and their families, it is heartbreaking :( .

@Tank-Girl we bought a pure wool underlay and they are great and so comfortable. Ours is cotton one side and wool the other. In summer we put the cotton side up and in winter the wool side. They are nice and breathable too.

Won't be online for awhile.
My mom passed away unexpectly this evening.
My mom was only 15 years older than me.
I found her tonight thankfully instead of my dad.
Today is my dad's 80th birthday.
Dad is 18 years older than me.
Mom had a massive heart attack.
At least she went quick.
My siblings have been called.
They will start arriving in the next few days.
Some as early as tomorrow.
I just saw this, Mo. I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

So check this out. We’ve had a kid on our job for the last few years that had a little trouble with the law and a serious drinking problem. He had been in a halfway house and a rehabilitation program for the last 18 months. I saw him turn into a hell of a young man while he was in treatment. Knowing he didn’t have anywhere to go after the program I offered a old bachelor style apartment in our shop building for free all he had to do was pay the electricity. So this is what I get. Doing burn outs INSIDE of the apartment he loses control and runs through the door knocking the entire two story wall off of the foundation. I threw his crap out in the yard and sent him on down the road...
Some people would have done more to him. Addiction is a tough deal. A cousin of mine ultimately died of alcoholism. He was 55. When he was in college, he was supposed to ride home with one friend, but got a ride with someone else. The guy he didn't ride with, was killed in a car accident on the way home. Cousin never got over it, thought if he had been in the car it wouldn't have happened. He was a mess. His family lives in a small town, and would get phone calls that he would be passed out here or there and they would go get him. His parents bought him a house which eventually had to be knocked down because he would get drunk and do his bathroom duty everywhere but the bathroom. He totally destroyed the house. He had been living in a halfway house for a year , keeping sober the whole time. When he got out, and within a few weeks, came home, sat back in his recliner and died. He had a 12 pack of beer in his backpack, ready to start the weekend and to celebrate his birthday.

Another cousin claims to be a recovering alcoholic. However, after years of "sobriety" (while carrying bottles of pills in her purse with other peoples names on the prescription) she still is all about what there is to drink, what other people are drinking, and what she would be drinking if she were. I say that she still worships at the altar of alcohol. She can't think of a social event without thinking of alcohol. She is narcissistic and thinks she has everyone else fooled. Not me, but I am not into confrontation, especially of a know it all narcissist. Since there is so much alcoholism in my family, I don't drink and therefore, don't even think about what I could be drinking.

Latest posts

Back