What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s been a quite week, got groceries last night. I have an odd problem…

3 days ago a new smell appeared in my kitchen. I can’t find the source. It’s between my stove, rolling island and the kitchen counter to the right of the sink. It’s not a bad smell, like something went bad. It hasn’t gotten stronger, stayed the same.

I have never smelled anything like it, sort of a cross between hay curing in the summer sun and okra frying.

I stuck my head into my fridge, each cabinet, my hanging baskets of onions, garlic and potatoes.. no luck!

Driving me nuts! :rolleyes:

Maybe it's been too quite...;)

@LadyLocust no not strange buying a drum of vinegar either as you can use a petrol drum pump (new) to pump it into your gallon containers when you need to top up your usable container, just check the drum opening with a set of calipers and match it to the screw on piece for the barrel on the petrol drum pump. Not feeling odd now and glad it is just not me that they stare at, still not nice for people to stare or make adverse comments either @Amish Heart. We buy by the carton here as I hate having to worry about what we have and haven't got and just do bulk stockups once every 6 or 12 months for things like spices, herbs, cocoa powder, coconut etc. We also usually grow our own vegetables and are still going on the supply that we preserved (blanched and froze) before we moved so will top that up when we start our new vegetable gardens here.

Round 2 of today is that we dated, rotated and put all of the things away in the food storage room except the diced tomatoes which we have to re-organise into dates as we ran out of steam. Lots of time spent sitting on the floor rotating other food storage as when we moved here we just put it all in the storage room without organising it into dates :eek: , but everything else is now organised I am pleased to say.

Then we sorted out the amount 1/3 of citric acid we purchased for the RSL club that they wanted to buy for cleaning and took it up to the club and got paid for it. We also had a few soft drinks and had good conversations with the locals on a few things.

Back home now and DH washed the dishes and cleaned the benches and I wiped the dishes and put them away. Tonight's dinner is rump steak, diced and butter fried fresh mushrooms we bought on 70% off clearance and eggs and dessert will be some of our lovely creamy ice- cream we purchased on 36.5% discount on usual prices today.

@Peanut it is probably a similar smell to a mouse or rat nest somewhere so check the back of your cabinets for holes and behind and in the fridge as sometimes mice and rats will nest behind the backing panel. No need to say turn the fridge off at the wall and unplug before you take the back of it off. Yes I have had experience with this in a rental I used to live in many years ago and found the darstardly mice had burrowed through the wall and into the back of a cupboard in the kitchen :eek:.

Hubby has dr.appt today at dermatology.
I had mien done last month,took about half my right hand of enough flesh to fill a lemon 12 stitiches, but left no scar at all ,amazing.
They don't put antibiotic on wounds anymore, just band aides and Vaseline,thats it.

When I went to get the mail today there was a large wolf right next to the house. I don't mean it was in my field, it was right next to the house. It was smart enough to leave the area immediately when it saw me. I called the neighbor to warn them about the wolf in case they had any livestock outside but they know anyway because they lost a calf about a week ago to wolves.
If the ever is such a thing as TEOTWAWKI there will be less of many things, one of those things will be wolves.
Hubby called and said the bears are out. We had one in our pasture and the guy down the road has had 2 up by his bbq pit.

I just tell them that I'm buying for us, the food bank and the extra coffee is for the firehouse down the road

I give 3 times a year to the food bank but not all that I buy lol

Dishes- done
Vacuum-done
Living room, my bedroom furniture dusted- done
Bathroom scrubbed within an inch of Grand daughter's life this morning-done
Got almost all the kitchen cabinets countertops cleared off- 3/4 done
Top of microwave cleared off except for doo dads- done
Clearing off kitchen table top-3/4 done will finish after supper, resting for a bit.
Finally got the printer to print letter needed for HUD- DONE
Coffee made up for tomorrow- not yet but it's on my list for after supper chores.
Trash taken out- done
Picked up all Estelle's (granddaughter) toys from under furniture- done
Finally found my comb, toothbrush, Polident, denture cleaning tablets- they were in various toy cabinets, the kitchen she got for Christmas, toy box.
Let Strawberry out the required amount of times this morning, afternoon, evening-done
Strawberry is burying her bone again and laying on top of it . (Wingback chair cushion)
Haven't given any thought about supper yet, but may have breakfast for supper.
Wiped little sticky hand prints off living room tv, my laptop screen and keyboard.- done
Cleaned out the roll top desk, all the little cubbies,dusted it too-done
Watered all the plants still got all 8 from Mom's funeral, plus the one I already had.-done
Bit tired, just resting before I try to tackle the second half of my list of piddling jobs.
Everybody have a good day, afternoon, evening, night. Stay safe.
Walked not quite a mile in my apartment today doing chores.
Strawberry must be tired too, she's sprawled out on my legs snoring.

Last edited:
went to truckload meat sale today. got 16 t-bones at 3.99 a pound; 2 shank portion hams at 99 cents a pound; 4 boston butts at 99 cents a pound; 4-pkgs. of 5 dozen eggs at 3.99 each;20 pounds cornmeal at 3.00;10 pounds grapes at 99 cents a pound;

went to truckload meat sale today. got 16 t-bones at 3.99 a pound; 2 shank portion hams at 99 cents a pound; 4 boston butts at 99 cents a pound; 4-pkgs. of 5 dozen eggs at 3.99 each;20 pounds cornmeal at 3.00;10 pounds grapes at 99 cents a pound;
Please take me shopping with you next time!

Hit the salvage grocery store today for pumpkin to add to the pups food. What I got had a "best by" date of 3 months ago. 60- 13.5 ounce cans and 9- 28 ounce cans--all for $10! They wanted me to take the whole cart for $10 but what was left was pumpkin pie filling and can't do the sugar for me or the dogs. Picked up a few other items and came home.
DH got a call for a consult for a local neurologist for his hand tremors. We have been hoping for that for months as the VA hospital is about 100 miles one way and with our older cars and the horrible traffic, we just said we couldn't do it.

Our friend came over and tilled up a garden area for me so I can have one this year! I will be working on it tomorrow and planting next Thursday (according to the almanac).

Also made cornbread for our room mate who is still not home, so he will have that tomorrow.

Overall a very good day!

Round 1 is that we started the morning with pretty much doing not a lot.

Then DH put away and rotated our tinned diced tomatoes oldest to the top in the food storage room and while he did that I deep cleaned the bathroom and toilet for the week and really gave our big deep enamel bath a go over and scrubbed with citric acid and white vinegar and now it is so much cleaner and brighter white now. I don't think the people who lived here over the last couple of years were big on cleaning the bath as it had lots of red dirt ring lines all over it of ground in dirt. It may take me a few more goes to get it looking like it's original white colour totally. DH has swept the floors and vacuumed downstairs too.

Last edited:
Plan to work on cleaning out our travel trailer, then restocking it with the stuff that goes back in it. Going to Lowes later to get materials to fix 15 feet of fencing that came off the school yard from high winds. Husband and son will be doing repairs to that tomorrow. Just took out a dehydrator full of sliced tomatoes, another of sliced zucchini, and ready to refill again. Yesterday I got my Kodiak Hi pro muffin mix and Hi pro baking mixes packed in large containers. Also, packed large jars of grits and Stevia. Need to also replant my wheat and sunflower seeds in my indoor trays for the chickens. I try to keep 10 going, so they get fresh greens every few days...but it's been a busy week. Down to two today. Older chicks jumping out of their brooder yesterday, husband batting them back in with his cane. Last night I put screens over the top of the tubs. Two of the meat turkeys appear to have splayed leg. Hate that.

Finishing up the list I didn't get done yesterday.
Putting cup of white vinegar and 1/4 cup of baking soda into toilet tank to clean it today.
This also cleans the holes in the rim.
Monthly job.
Steam mopping kitchen floor and bathroom floor.
Sipping second pot of coffee.
Cleaning out empty boxes out of living room closet of things I no longer have.
Sons want me to make list of furniture I want to take to new apartment.
Waiting on doctor to send me updated prescriptions .
My old doctor retired 6 years old.
My new old doctor is updating prescriptions for me.
She's good about things like that.
JimLE, that must be the same storm that's heading my way.
Got supper in crockpot, making chicken(thighs) and noodles got noodles drying now.

Latest posts

Back