What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Round 2 of today is that we have washed the dishes, cleaned the benches and put them away and I emptied both household bins into the wheelie bin outside.

DH has swept and vacuumed the house for the week, we sorted our 2 bulk orders of herbs, beans, nuts, coconut etc we bought and dated and put them in the food storage room. I and DH have also watered all the potted plants numerous times today.

Found out this morning I am hosting small Easter egg hunt for grand daughter tomorrow.
Her daddy already invited my dad and youngest sister to my house tomorrow to watch her and Strawberry hunt eggs.
I must say I am really glad she is only staying for few hours for the amount of candy and stuff he brought in for her Easter basket.
He told my dad have to keep family traditions going for his daughter, just like he and his brother did for his younger cousins.
At 21 he and his brother were still putting out Easter eggs out for the younger cousins to hunt.
Still doing the haunted yard, coming up out of makeshift graves, scaring the crap out of the younger kids.
Now he was continuing the traditions Grandad and Grandma started for his daughter.
And he thinks Grandma would want to continue the traditions too.
Have figure out what to cook, I'm thinking pulled pork sandwiches, chips, fruit, coffee and tea.
I have a pretty good size bag of pulled pork in chest freezer, just have to thaw out, heat in crockpot.
From the last time I fixed pulled pork, fixed way to much, put in Food saver bag stuck in chest freezer.
Might have to make up blueberry smoothie ice tray pops frozen pops for her too.
I seem to have an abundance of blueberries.
I think they are multiplying in the freezer again.
Might have to muffins for the freezer again.
Sitting here drinking coffee, thinking about grocery list for next week.
Have to liscence car this month too.
So will cut groceries to the bone, but my pantry is still pretty full, so is the chest freezer, can goods look pretty good, refrig. freezer pretty good shape.
But eventually will have to buy bigger meat bundle to fill both freezers back up with meat. But not this month.
Everybody have a good day, afternoon, evening, night where ever you are in the world.
Stay safe.

Hubby took off the siding on the back side of the house around the old window yesterday

Today I have laundry to do ( his) and I have to help get the new window in the bedroom wall
I also have to make another poke cake. I've created a monster in the hubby who is really gone nuts over them lol I'm partial to my fruit smoothies and popcorn. Not so much the sweets ( cakes, cookies,etc)
Back to the normal schedule tomorrow since hubby will be back to work until the end of May when he'll take another week off. He has a lot of PTO and has to take them or lose them

This morning we went to church and had a lovely time and celebrated both easter and Anzac day as we won't have church that day and there were some wonderful talks.

We also on our way home had to do a gardening job due to rain in the area and DH earned $100. If we had left it for another 3 weeks when we were in town it would be a jungle and probably wouldn't have got through it with the rideon. Usually we make a point of not working on a Sunday but sometimes it can't be avoided.

Got the Pulled Pork sauced going in the crock pot.
Made up grand daughter's Easter basket.
Took all the large plants outside gave them a good soaking watering.
Took care of Strawberry's mess, she was sick last night.
Will throw away all her bedding, bleach out the kennel this morning.
She's outside patrolling the sidewalk.
Once in while she stops cocks that head listens to something underground.
Getting ready to start cooking up the mac and homemade cheese sauce for this week.
Ran the sweeper, half way dusted furniture, picked up all the dead leaves, I could find.
Will watch grand daughter and Strawberry hunt Easter eggs.
Yes, Strawberry has her own Easter eggs to hunt with dog kibble in them.
Now will have to make sure Estelle doesn't try to eat those.
Estelle thinks Strawberry is a kid just like her.
And Strawberry thinks Estelle is a dog just like her, except she now walks on two legs.
It was funny to watch them play when Estelle was learning to crawl, she scooted backwards.
Everybody have a wonderful day.

Tomorrow is garbage day so I bagged up all the trash and took it down to the road about 11pm.

Something amazing happened… I posted about it sometime in the past, I don’t know if in this forum or the old one… Coyotes have decimated ground laying birds in the southeast. I don’t remember the last time I saw a quail or heard a whooperwill (whip-poor-will) (Antrostomus vociferus).

This time of year, when I was a child, whooperwill’s sang me to sleep every night. A beautiful sound that would carry for 100’s of yards. Tonight, when I took the garbage down to the road, I heard one!

I took a little stool out of my kitchen and went out in the yard (a warm night). The whooperwill was over on the “sand hill” (a pasture by the house) by the big persimmon tree (250yds).

I listened to him sing for about 15 minutes… It was a pleasure to listen to that bird, brought back so many memories. :)

Round 1 of today is that we went down to the RSL club to help out there to set up and clean up for the upcoming Anzac Day we are having a celebration for. There were all military people down there apart from myself and another gentleman.

DH and the two other men set up the outside gazebos and repaired some frayed and broken guy ropes and we patched together one of the gazebos that was broken with old wooden moulding we had in our shed so it will stay together for another couple of years. Myself and another military lady deep cleaned the inside of the RSL club being cleaning windows, military pictures, and glass display cabinets and vanity mirrors with glass cleaner, vacuuming and mopping floors and cleaning the metal on the bar chairs and table legs , and getting rid of cobwebs too. The whole place sparkles now and looks so much better. Our little RSL sub branch is a Museum of militaria so there was a lot to move around and clean around too.

DH is now having a sleep and I am about to get him up.

Round 2 of today is that I stain removed some clothing, put on a load of washing and hung it on the clothes line to dry and we have taken the wheelie bins out to be collected tomorrow.

The RSL president paid for all of us to have a hamburger, chips and drinks on the house for helping out so that was our dinner this evening. I did have some of my lychees with my iron and multivitamin tablets though tonight and might have a few macadamia nuts too shortly.

This time of year, when I was a child, whooperwill’s sang me to sleep every night.

I remember and loved the whipoorwills, too! Haven't thought of them (or heard one) in years. Now, I will listen for them. Thanks for the memory, @Peanut!

Tomorrow is garbage day so I bagged up all the trash and took it down to the road about 11pm.

Something amazing happened… I posted about it sometime in the past, I don’t know if in this forum or the old one… Coyotes have decimated ground laying birds in the southeast. I don’t remember the last time I saw a quail or heard a whooperwill (whip-poor-will) (Antrostomus vociferus).

This time of year, when I was a child, whooperwill’s sang me to sleep every night. A beautiful sound that would carry for 100’s of yards. Tonight, when I took the garbage down to the road, I heard one!

I took a little stool out of my kitchen and went out in the yard (a warm night). The whooperwill was over on the “sand hill” (a pasture by the house) by the big persimmon tree (250yds).

I listened to him sing for about 15 minutes… It was a pleasure to listen to that bird, brought back so many memories. :)
We don't have whip-poor-wills, but I love going outside when it is dark and the world is mostly asleep. When I was young, when we had to go out to use the outhouse, my mother would spend time outside, enjoying the weather, nature, and the temperatures.

I took the dog out at 3 in the morning recently and it was so lovely. The temperature was comfortable. It was a full moon with clouds mottled over it showing the moon and black and white patches. If I had had my phone with me, I would have taken some photos. Even the dog enjoyed being out there. She sat on the porch and just looked around and enjoyed the time with me. Living in the country gives you an appreciation for quiet and the sounds of nature. I love to hear crickets in the evenings.

Growing up and living on the plains, it is meadowlarks that I love to hear and see.

I'm up, dressed of sorts.
Drinking coffee, Strawberry has been outside already.
Got her unstuck from around the Azeala bush, raised garden beds legs already this morning.
Listening to some kind of bird, and the neighbors air conditioner kick on and off.
Not looking forward to that season of super hot weather.
Won't have the need to keep house so cold this year, cause grand daughter likes to be outside regardless of the weather.
Visited with dad yesterday, stayed about 15 minutes.
Suppose to call him in the morning to make sure he goes to doctor's appointment.
He didn't look at mom's calendar last month and missed one.
So now mom's calendar is under his placemat so he can check for appointments.
He got new hearing aids, now the trick will be to get him to wear them.
Going to Orchelyn's in a bit to look at garden plants.
I have one lone green bean up, doesn't seem to be any thing up.
Got a marigold up from when Estelle and I planted Hummingbird and Butterfly seeds in the whiskey barrel a few weeks ago.
Unfornutanately Peppermint, SpearMint are both up and going strong in herb garden.
Sitting her crocheting on Rainbow shawl for Daughter in Law for Christmas.
Oldest son , Estelle and I are going clothes shopping for her at my house,
Probably will do that Thursday. Estelle had fat lip when she got to Granny's house yesterday.
Seem his lady's youngest daughter hit her. His lady said old well it will happen.
Son and Estelle both upset. She didn't punish youngest daughter, just laughed it off.
Granny gave her an emergency popiscicle to take the swelling down.
Dried more than a few tears of daddy's and Estelle's.
I think he is beginning to rethink this relationship with his lady.
She doesn't discipline her children at all.
Everybody have a good day, morning, afternoon, evening wherever you are in this world.
Stay safe.

Walking around like a old man.
Pulled a back muscle couple weeks ago loading stuff for the wife.
Participated in a competition last Saturday and injured the same muscle.
At my young age I only need a month or two to bounce back fully recovered. :)
Did wife get rid of stuff?
Or did you have unloadit again too?

Growing up and living on the plains, it is meadowlarks that I love to hear and see.

I miss the locusts. I loved listening to them when I lived in S Tx. Just sitting under the oaks and pecans in the shade listening to them.

I spent this morning soaking seeds and tilling the ground. Collecting the rocks that seem to grow faster than the plants. We have onions that came up from last year and the lettuce too. We have a day to wait before we set the seeds and my dear wife will be putting some seeds in her tiny greenhouse to see if she can find a way to get them to survive the transplant. In the past nearly everything we plant in seed does fine unless it has to be transplanted.I admire her tenacity but I just put the seeds into the prepared soil and let them decide if they live or die. She wants to protect them until they are strong enough to make it on there own - my experience tells me that protecting something or someone disarms them when real life hits.
I am going to take some aspirin and relax a bit.
Oh! At the end of last year I bought an electric tiller from SunJoe.com and I used it for the first time over the last couple of days. It handles the clay and river rock of the valley with ease. It made getting the garden ready easier this year than ever before. I even used it to churn the soil in the raised beds. It's like having a couple extra guys working with me. If you need a light duty tiller then look into these folks.

Church yesterday and 5 minutes into it, I got a bad earache (sinus?). Came home and rested a little, then shucked oysters and fried them (gifted from a friend), made oven bbq chicken and green bean salad. Room mate made lasagna on Saturday for DH and himself--yay! Today, I raked and hoed the garden area again to get it broken up good (after 2 floods). Next, gave Peanut Butter a bath as she was smelling a bit like a hamster, then did some eBay photos and that's it for the day.

Tomorrow morning will make rows and plant, finally!

Latest posts

Back