What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are at about 7500 feet. Please pass the oxygen so I can breathe.:)
Man, here at 7500 feet we still have 5-10 feet of snow, I can see it comfortably from my little valley 1500 feet, where the daytime temperature hit 77 today, although it will likely be close to freezing tonight. That’s just plain inhospitable altitude. I don’t mind a summer hike that high, but no desire to live there. Hats off to you, you area much tougher man than I am. Same goes to you Terri ... even if you aren’t a man.

Give me 40 below and wind over that altitude any time.

Just watching it snow.
Same here..... I had to go outside and take a picture of my truck in the snow!
snow truck.jpg

1640.42 feet above sea level here in still warm during the day Australia :) , not seen snow yet but we do get it here from what I hear.

@Bacpacker good on you for learning to garden and sounds like the veges are all growing well.

@Amish Heart poor granddaughter she must have been so embarrassed but tell her it isn't her doing it so not to take it to heart.

Bit of an easier day today where we picked up 8 metres of rapid mesh from a friend to line our trailer cage with so when we pick up manures it doesn't drop out the sides or smaller things we are carrying don't fall out too. We are trading by digging some fence post holes with our post hole auger for the wire.

Spent the day cutting it and wiring it to the inside of the trailer mesh sides. Before that I watered the neighbours vegetable gardens as we are house sitting for her while she is away on holidays and DH put a load of washing on in the washing machine and hung it on the clothesline to dry.

Tonight's dinner is a grab whatever you feel like night as we both have blisters on our hands and wire spike wounds as well and are a bit sore.

Been to Wal-Mart got bare bone basics:
Prepaid phone card, Kleenex, trash bags.
Strawberry's needs comes out of separate budget as she is my seizure dog.
Her needs come out of medical budget spent $25 there for her food, dental chews.
Got paid today.
Paid bills today.
Filled up car.
Going to cook something today not sure what yet.
Resting now.

We camp much higher than that, +-9500ft. 7500ft is easy. -40....not so easy.
You spry young thing. I'll teach you how to build an igloo when you come visit.

I've seen -55℉ that I know of and much colder when. I didn't have a thermometer available. My wife and SIL sat in the warm car and watched while my brother and I sat off fireworks. It is reported that one of them said, "It's really nice being the girl." If it was any colder that night I think the fireworks would have frozen, right there in the sky.

That's fine, that's just fine. I'll eat moose and you can poach a Gila Monster for your dinner.
Why would I eat a Gila monster when I have elk, deer and antelope??

13 years here and I've never actually seen a Gila monster.

Last edited:
Started out this morning leaf blowing the carport and then cooking lentils for tomorrow's dog food canning session. Washed blankets and then transplanted some of the free plants from my friend. Tonight went to Bible study and then rode up to Walmart with a girlfriend. Got home, put epsom salt around the transplanted tomatoes and watered well.

Took the kid in yesterday. She had 3 days where her resting heart rate stayed over 100. Woke up one morning at 148bpm. The doc started her on a med to keep her heart rate down. So she's on a med to keep her blood pressure up and her heart rate down. He said if the meds don't get her evened out she may need a pace maker or an ablation. Her blood sugar dropped while we were there. One of those days....:cry:

I'll take the cold over desert heat and reptiles any day. The coldest I have seen personally without considering the wind chill is -68. The snowmobile didn't run really well and it was windy to boot. That was too cold. Where we live now, it seldom gets below -20C and almost never any wind, so its a lovely mild winter.

If it gets above about 80F I find it unbearable. In country in SE Asia the only relief was the daily monsoons, at least you felt refreshed for a while.

I suppose it's all in what you get used to. I don't like spiders, snakes and reptiles. I don't mind bears, wolves and the like. As some one (Caribou?) said earlier you can always add layers for cold, can't do that with heat.

Given the fact that you live in desert country, i know you get some snow, but I assume you don't get the 20 feet plus we get at those altitudes?

Got planters going here at home. Picked up potting soil, plants and some fertilizer to take to doomstead. Have a friend this weekend picking up my honey berries and saskatoons at the district sale. We'll be at the doomstead where I'll be extending my fence and planting apple trees. My apple trees greened up real nice here at the house, so I'll be planting more at the doomstead. It'll be fun shooting my new .22 pistol with regular and magnum loads. We'll be there from Fri. night to Mon. afternoon. A lot to do tho.

Started off the morning with stain removing some clothing and putting on a load of washing in the washing machine and hanging it on the clothes line to dry and watering the canna lilies with saved grey water from the washing machine. Then off to a friend's farm and picking up some well composted chicken manure and some hay with cow manure in it too which is now loaded in our manure bay out the back.

After a bit of a break DH tilled the remaining 2.5 garden beds and we removed more soil to put near the manures to amend on the weekend. While DH had a sleep I lined all the beds with dug with well composted grass clippings and watered them in.

DH just washed the dishes and cleaned the benches and I wiped them and put them away. I also cleaned down the top of the stove and inside with hot soapy water and DH lined the bottom of the oven with aluminium foil to catch spills and he cleaned the oven door with methylated spirits. I then wiped over all of the fridge and freezer doors and handles with hot soapy water and swept around the fireplace and stove.

Tonight's dinner is honey soy chicken and chips.

Prayers for your daughter, Terri. Hoping the meds work!
The twins have their annual physical first thing this morning. I will attempt to do their doctor "survey" for them again, especially the part where it asks if there are guns in the home, and do they feel depressed, anxious, suicidal.
Work after that, but hoping my assistant comes in today so I don't have to work 4 hrs later than I plan to.
Husband has his checkup appointment today with the surgeon who worked on him.

Latest posts

Back