What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My ex is mostly Irish. Between all the Norse and Irish my little girl didn't have much of a choice but to be blue eyed and blonde...
I got two myself.
20170922_170200.jpg

Wow, a Norwegian/Bohemie wife! That sounds like a wild combination!

I bet she says it how it is too.

If by wild you mean strong-willed and stubborn, then you are dead on. Many times I have listened as a school teacher, or customer service rep or someone else said the wrong thing to her. I just wished them luck and walked away before butts began to be chewed off.

Both my girls are blonde blue-eyed and I'm middle eastern! I have dark everything and they still came out fair.

Ditto, only add Spanish and Portuguese (among other things) to a small amount of middle eastern.

speaking of pickled herring I was raised on the stuff and buy a container every month or two. Love it. I don't LOVE anchovies but I used to order them on my personal pan pizza when I was growing up to stop the other kids from getting ideas about eating MY pizza.

If by wild you mean strong-willed and stubborn, then you are dead on. Many times I have listened as a school teacher, or customer service rep or someone else said the wrong thing to her. I just wished them luck and walked away before butts began to be chewed off.

Ditto, only add Spanish and Portuguese (among other things) to a small amount of middle eastern.
I only mean that all the Bohemies I've known will say anything that's on their mind, and party like there's no tomorrow. And yes, very strong willed and will chew a person's butt.

Going plant based is HARD!

GAHHH....so much work and prep and clean up has to be seen to be believed.

I'm craving cheese so badly and I want a honking great rare steak with all the trimmings.

Next pension I'm going to have to buy the ingredients to make seitan - a form of vegan meat.
There are some awesome YT channels that show how to make seitan steak and hopefully that
will help the cravings.
I'm NOT spending over $7 for 4 small seitan patties from the supermarket which reads like a chemical experiment.
Various "cheese" sauces using oat milk, cashews and nutrional yeast flakes have been patchy in their success.
Unsweetened almond milk is a crime against humanity and I've never tasted anything so disgusting.
YUCK!
Never again!

Oh @Spikedriver or who ever said herring wasn't as bad as lutkefish if you eat fish your iq is 4.8 points higher than other kids.

I was told I was one of the smartest kids in my class growing up and I was the top guy in my class at the regional auto tech competition as a senior in high school. I didn't LIKE school, I just happened to be real good at memorizing all the answers to the tests and regurgitating the answers when it came to testing. I could easily have gotten a 4.0 gpa if I cared about it. As it was I got C's on homework and A's on tests which made my grades overall in the B's. Pissed off a lot of teachers a long the way too.

Went out for steak and a beer with husband. Nice night out...we haven't done that in a while, mostly because we have to have sitters for the twins. But their aunt and uncle were home tonight, so we went.
Found out why grandson has been in so, so much trouble lately; especially the last few months. He's been grounded lately for setting things on fire for fun in the bathroom. We now have a smoke alarm in there and in his bedroom. Tonight I found him with an Ipod. Explains why he can't get up in the morning (I've resorted to dumping a bucket of water on him), he stays in the bathroom forever, can't get his chores done, his homework done...he's turned into a game junkie, has internet access and snapchat. So...I took it away, he's on permanent grounding, and I'll see if I can find out for sure who it belongs to when school starts back up. He says his friend gave it to him. We don't allow those in our house.

Oh @Spikedriver or who ever said herring wasn't as bad as lutkefish if you eat fish your iq is 4.8 points higher than other kids.

I was told I was one of the smartest kids in my class growing up and I was the top guy in my class at the regional auto tech competition as a senior in high school. I didn't LIKE school, I just happened to be real good at memorizing all the answers to the tests and regurgitating the answers when it came to testing. I could easily have gotten a 4.0 gpa if I cared about it. As it was I got C's on homework and A's on tests which made my grades overall in the B's. Pissed off a lot of teachers a long the way too.
People who like lutefisk do NOT have higher IQ! And if you ever ate it you'd know what I mean. Haha cod soaked in lye, then re-soaked to get the lye back out, is no good for anybody!

I failed math because I couldn't show my work but I always had the right answer. I can figure numbers in my head like no other. I eventually dropped out of school.

People who like lutefisk do NOT have higher IQ! And if you ever ate it you'd know what I mean. Haha cod soaked in lye, then re-soaked to get the lye back out, is no good for anybody!

Lol... I probably shouldn't have phrased it the way I did... don't need to include lutefish in my IQ assessment.

I failed math because I couldn't show my work but I always had the right answer. I can figure numbers in my head like no other. I eventually dropped out of school.

Same here. What's 9x9? Oh, 9x10 is 90. Minus 9. Equals 81.

What's 5x7? Oh, 5x5 is 25, plus 5x2 is 10, 25 plus 10 equals 35

Greatly simplified examples but that's how I've always done math and can do it in my head. I imagine you'd agree?

Same here. What's 9x9? Oh, 9x10 is 90. Minus 9. Equals 81.

What's 5x7? Oh, 5x5 is 25, plus 5x2 is 10, 25 plus 10 equals 35

Greatly simplified examples but that's how I've always done math and can do it in my head. I imagine you'd agree?
Yup about the same, simplify and get the answer. But its all wrong because you were supposed to figure it out a different way

@Chris Don't get me started on this ridiculous common core math crap. So glad I'm done with their BS as of 2002 and my children will NOT be attending public schools.
I was supposed to graduate in 97 but dropped out in 95. Numbers just make sense to me. I am a drop out but I'm not dumb. I have accomplished more in life than most people twice my age.

I was supposed to graduate in 97 but dropped out in 95. Numbers just make sense to me. I am a drop out but I'm not dumb. I have accomplished more in life than most people twice my age.

I don't think I've accomplished that much but hopefully that will change in the next few years. My mother has some mental issues and doesn't want me to move out of the area or "succeed" in the traditional sense so that's been kinda hard.

Now don't get me wrong I've learned a lot with a google phd but that's getting real old anymore. 2 yrs of sign making, 3D and regular signs, 2 years of organic gardening/farming, 2 yrs of christian research, now for real world stuff 15 yrs+ of handyman work, done a lot of DIY type stuff... if it's on a house I've done something with it less refrigeration... I did take an auto a/c class so understand that process, just don't have the certifications. Plumbing/electrical/natural gas/roofing/drywall/carpentry etc. etc. I've worked on projects in 5 different states so far, 3 years at my own small lawn care business that I ran with 10-20 residential lawns, I know auto tech, mechanical engineering tech, small engine repair, and always willing to learn more stuff.

I don't have much actual experience in sign making but I did figure out the fundamentals and think it'd be real cool to get some foam and a hot knife and learn to carve. Problem is that costs about $200-300 to get started in.

Now I'm thinking about getting a "real job" as an auto tech or draftsman but I hate the idea of the 9-5-5 most days.

I don't think I've accomplished that much but hopefully that will change in the next few years. My mother has some mental issues and doesn't want me to move out of the area or "succeed" in the traditional sense so that's been kinda hard.

Now don't get me wrong I've learned a lot with a google phd but that's getting real old anymore. 2 yrs of sign making, 3D and regular signs, 2 years of organic gardening/farming, 2 yrs of christian research, now for real world stuff 15 yrs+ of handyman work, done a lot of DIY type stuff... if it's on a house I've done something with it less refrigeration... I did take an auto a/c class so understand that process, just don't have the certifications. Plumbing/electrical/natural gas/roofing/drywall/carpentry etc. etc. I've worked on projects in 5 different states so far, 3 years at my own small lawn care business that I ran with 10-20 residential lawns, I know auto tech, mechanical engineering tech, small engine repair, and always willing to learn more stuff.

I don't have much actual experience in sign making but I did figure out the fundamentals and think it'd be real cool to get some foam and a hot knife and learn to carve. Problem is that costs about $200-300 to get started in.

Now I'm thinking about getting a "real job" as an auto tech or draftsman but I hate the idea of the 9-5-5 most days.
I got lucky, I went to work for a con man and learned what not to do. I got into a great trade and started my own company, it has been nothing but great for me over the last ten years. Problem now is I essentially through it all away to raise my kids in a good place. I left California and my company is going down the drain. I can either get back into that stressful life or get a job with benefits and enjoy more time with my family. My company has consumed me for ten years now. I am leaning more towards enjoying my life with less money, because we all know money doesn't buy happiness but it sure does come close.

Spend the money and it will pay itself back. Always does

@Chris
That's what's nice about rural upper midwest... might not be making much money but it's a darn good lifestyle.

Now if I could find 20 hours of handyman clients a week at $25.00 an hour I'd be doing better... but then again if I made too much money or put too much time into "work" I could lose my disability for being hard of hearing and I don't trust this area enough to keep me busy. Lots of carpenters and handymen competing for relatively few clients in the middle of corn country.

I would like to relocate to an area with a higher population and more opportunity than what I've got. Would make my mother very sad though

Last edited:
I've been sick the past 2 days. No cold or flu. I think it is a bit of food poisoning maybe. I have bad body aches, head ache, throwing up and can't sleep. The baby has it too. She started showing symptoms the night before I did.
Oh, that's awful! Hope it passes soon. For both of you.

@Chris
That's what's nice about rural Iowa... might not be making much money but it's a darn good lifestyle.

Now if I could find 20 hours of handyman clients a week at $25.00 an hour I'd be doing better... but then again if I made too much money or put too much time into "work" I could lose my disability for being hard of hearing and I don't trust this area enough to keep me busy. Lots of carpenters and handymen competing for relatively few clients in the middle of corn country.

I would like to relocate to an area with a higher population and more opportunity than what I've got. Would make my mother very sad though
Outskirts of boise is nice. Plenty of work and far from e everything

@Chris I know that all too well about can't win if you don't play.

Did vinyl stuff for awhile had some stock made up did a show that cost $25.00 didn't make any money and wasted a whole Saturday. we didn't do any more shows after that. That was back when the stupid cricket became so popular.

Should have bought a laser engraver instead of a vinyl cutter

@Chris handyman work is a lot more profitable and reliable than fooling around with crafts that people may or may not buy. they need their house fixed they certainly don't need another trinket.

No I don't want to mess with ebay either lol.

@Chris
That's what's nice about rural Iowa... might not be making much money but it's a darn good lifestyle.

I'm in central Iowa near Ames. I hear you about the contractors, lots of guys doing it, although around here there's so many subcontracting on all the new housing that a guy might be able to sneak in for the small jobs. One of my hunting buddies is semi retired at age 63 and does some painting and little repairs. He doesn't hit it too hard. Just enough for gun money, and lets his college educated wife bring home the bacon.

Latest posts

Back