What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a very busy day today. I had an apt at 7:30, tore my bicep.... The kid had an appointment at 9:30. After that we were headed to Home Depot but the kids blood sugar dropped so I had to stop and feed her. After that we went back to Home Depot to find the police taping off the whole area. We barely missed a police shoot out, thank God for the kids wacky blood sugar. We then had to drive another 40 miles to the next hardware store. Got all the way home only to find we left behind the 10 drywall corner beads I bought. Called the store and they said they had them and credited the amount back to my card so I didn't have to drive another 180 miles.
According to the news the timeline is a bit different from what was sent out from hubby department. The shootings were just before dawn, I guess it just took hours to get the tape up... Still glad we missed it especially since I had the kid with me.

Now another news story says the guy was threatening customers. I guess they don't know either...

Last edited:
Roofing crew arrived just before 7 AM. By 7:15 AM they had already pealed off some of the asphalt shingles. They have scissor lift with a large bin attached. They raise the bin just below the edge of the roof, starting at the peak peel the old shingles off and down into the bin. When the bin is filled lower it and dump (bin is self dumping). They expect to have all shingles removed, synthetic underlayment and trim in place by the end of today. Steel roofing goes on tomorrow, God willing.

Roof 01.JPG

Today we went to a physio appointment for DH and he came home feeling a lot better. Heard that his care plan for the physio and ongoing treatment for his back has been approved and got an email saying he is up for his 5 yearly review. No doubt that will mean another trip to the orthopedic surgeon for a thorough go over which is good.

While we were at DH's physio appointment we found a chemist that sold back braces so that DH can have a second one for working in the yard as the one he uses for that the velcro has had it on and it won't stay on and I also got one for me when I am bending doing firewood cutting, carting and any heavy lifting. We also stopped at the discount variety store and got 4 more packets of island dressings and a compression hand glove for DH so he can wear it to protect his burns.

Got home had some lunch and then we weeded around the base of the mandarin and mulberry trees and spread the wood chips we had run through our chipper around all the bases of the trees to stop the grass growing up to the base. I raked up all the fallen autumn leaves and DH ran over them with the ride-on and he put them in 4 garden beds and dug it in with the garden fork. 'We then collected more firewood from the back shed and brought it up in our 4 wheel wheelbarrows and stacked it and wheeled the rest through the back door and stacked it beside the fireplace.

DH cleaned the kitchen benches and washed the dishes and I dried them and put them away. Tonight's dinner was toasted cheese and ham croissants and dessert was the last 1/3rd of our homemade lemon cheesecake.

Last edited:
Is that from the storm damage @The Lazy L that they are replacing the roof shingles ?.

No on the storm damage. 20 year singles that have been on for 25 years. The shingles might have lasted a more few years. It's the last thing on my "before I retire" bucket list. Steel roof with leafguard gutters. Extension ladder is getting heavier every year. Second floor gutters are getting higher every year too. Ground is harder too because I don't bounce as good as I once did. No more gutter cleaning and the last roof for me!

Last edited:
Makes sense to have everything done before you retire and make it an easy maintenance as you can @The Lazy L. Sorry to hear they didn't cover the shop roof fixing and I know I don't bounce as well as I used to either :).

Exactly what we are doing here is getting all the maintenance done and the house paid for well before we retire too.

@The Lazy L Isn't it amazing how quickly they can pull down and reapply with the right equipment? Also, the metal roof won't leach all those great chemicals into your soil like the asphalt shingles. Not sure if you do any water catchment but a perk nonetheless.

@The Lazy L Isn't it amazing how quickly they can pull down and reapply with the right equipment? Also, the metal roof won't leach all those great chemicals into your soil like the asphalt shingles. Not sure if you do any water catchment but a perk nonetheless.
Excellent point. Worse than asphalt are cedar roofs. The cedar oils are toxic but dissipate after a year or so through rain and sun so they can be used for water collection eventually. They are a fire hazard and when it rains the first bit of rain is soaked into the wood. Asphalt holds the first bit of rain in the grit so a light rain might give you nothing or very little. Metal roofs shed water the quickest and I have actually collected water off a metal roof with a good morning dew. They are also the most fire resistant.

Wow I haven't seen a white roofing crew in years. :)
Excellent point. Worse than asphalt are cedar roofs. The cedar oils are toxic but dissipate after a year or so through rain and sun so they can be used for water collection eventually. They are a fire hazard and when it rains the first bit of rain is soaked into the wood. Asphalt holds the first bit of rain in the grit so a light rain might give you nothing or very little. Metal roofs shed water the quickest and I have actually collected water off a metal roof with a good morning dew. They are also the most fire resistant.
We had a cedar shake roof on our last house. It needed cleaning and 2 shakes nailed down, it was in good condition after 20 years.
One guy that gave me an estimate said he would clean, then treat the roof and it would last another 20 years. I asked him what he treated it with. His reply was diesel fuel.
He said he used it all the time. So you take cedar kindling, add diesel and call it good. NO thanks you. He did not get the job no matter what his estimate was going to be.
The smell alone would be enough to run you out of the house.

hubby and i took my STEP_DAD to sign up for food bank. so once a month we will take him to get the food. my MOTHER has finally opened her eyes to the fact that she can't count on the government to save them. don't know what opened them but i'm very glad something did.

Took a nice hike into see a white water gorge that we hadn’t scooped out before. Did a little yard work. Did a little fishing but the river is still too high, could have gone to one of the nearby lakes but need to gather all the boating gear. We have a Portabote
Just a dandy rig, but I have to drag it out of the shop where I stored it for the winter, it just hasn’t been a priority. Wife and I splurged on a burger and fries at one of the local fast food places then relaxed for the evening. Back to the regular guest grind tomorrow

Today we took it a little easier and I started the morning with stain removing some clothing, putting on a load of washing, hanging it on the line and watered the canna and calla lilies and spider plants with grey water from the washing machine. I then watered the fruit trees with saved rain water from our collapsible rainwater tank. DH then put on a handle on our front door as it only had a lock and you had to pull it open with the key and I helped holding the door steady. While he was doing that I got the broom and swept the front veranda and removed numerous cobwebs across the front of the house. Then I set off the grey water from the sullage pit and watered another section of the front lawn with it.

Then out into the garden where we put up the 8 posts for the kangaroo garden enclosure by putting the soil back in the holes and compacting it with the dirt from digging out the holes with the post hole auger. They are all leveled vertically now just to get the tops of them level. While DH was compacting the dirt around one of the posts I dug in the charcoal with a shovel in one of the in-ground garden beds. The soil is looking good and holding water where it wasn't initially and the soil is far more friable. We have so far added lots of cow, horse and chicken manure to the soil, lots of shredded autumn leaves and been trench composting vegetable scraps in the garden beds too.

Shortly we will fold up 2 loads of washing and put it away and tonight's dinner was homemade sausage, cheese and egg hotdogs.

Yes it's amazing. I got home from work at 5 PM and they were gone. Pictures show all of the asphalt singles removed and synthetic underlayment in place. Today they arrive before I left for work to start laying the new roof.

House 2.JPG House 3.JPG

Last edited:
Same here. Cleaning
folding laundry
Got my eyes checked yesterday so thats done for another year
Just have a mammogram to get in Oct and I'll be finished with the medical stuff for the year ( and then it can start all over again lol)

Hubby brought home some empty cylinders ( have no idea what was in them) and he cut them in half and made me some planters for some herbs. They're heavy as heck. He even drilled a drainage hole in the bottom of them and painted them so they wouldn't rust, lol
garden2019 001.JPG
garden2019 002.JPG

@LadyLocust we saw the doctor today and yes I out stubborned the military man. They gave him a what they call a lifestyle questionnaire and out of 40 being the worst he came out at 38 so not so good as I suspected. He has been given a referral to a psychologist to get some treatment and most likely have his condition added to his white card. Our doctor asked me to tell her what he is like at home and out and she got some shocks about how he has memory loss and episodes when in crowded places and other things but at least now it is recorded so they can look after him.

On my front got the results back from my back x-rays and they were really good with no back deterioration, no fractures and no back injuries so the shooting pains in my back are from overdoing it and when I lift heavy objects. Told to rest and not do much when it gets like that and to get a massage or a physiotherapy appointment. I also got the doctor to check a lump that has come up on my nose about 3 weeks ago and it is a skin cancer in it's very early stages so have an appointment to have that sliced off, ouch, but good I saw to it early as it could have been worse with a major operation. The joys of being born a redhead :rolleyes: .

Apparently my last blood test last year showed I had elevated cholesterol but the doctor never told me so this doctor got me to have a blood test to see what my levels are now. It runs in the family with my father so if it is still elevated I will have to adjust my diet a bit to get the levels down and should get the results when I go in for my cancer removal.

We did a little shopping and bought 6 packets of half price rolls with some being wholemeal and topped up on fish fingers and had lunch out being fish and chips. Probably not that healthy if my cholesterol levels are elevated still but we enjoyed it as we rarely eat takeaway.

Glad its not a bad one, I've had 4 biopsies and one surgery this years already, us blonds get it too.curse of the pale skins I guess.
Take care.

I haven't seen you much lately. I was going to post, wondering where you are. I think you are having or maybe had knee surgery and are or have just moved.
Weedygarden,
Had knee surgery last July.
Haven't moved yet either.
Feel like they are trying to do bait and switch on me.
Moving into that complex will save me $12 a month and I have to give up 1 bedroom, and my fully stocked freezer.
They showed me wonderful apartment, but now they want me to move into apartment a little bit bigger than studio.
Son says take a pass on dinky apartment, wait for section 8.
So he and I are are going to look at other apartments in same complex for size differences.
Got hinky feeling about the bait and switch tactics, no overly happy about it.
Will keep sorting things outs, getting rid of stuff.
The bedroom is so small my full size bed won't fit, let alone dresser.

Weedygarden,
Had knee surgery last July.
Haven't moved yet either.
Feel like they are trying to do bait and switch on me.
Moving into that complex will save me $12 a month and I have to give up 1 bedroom, and my fully stocked freezer.
They showed me wonderful apartment, but now they want me to move into apartment a little bit bigger than studio.
Son says take a pass on dinky apartment, wait for section 8.
So he and I are are going to look at other apartments in same complex for size differences.
Got hinky feeling about the bait and switch tactics, no overly happy about it.
Will keep sorting things outs, getting rid of stuff.
The bedroom is so small my full size bed won't fit, let alone dresser.

@MoBookworm1957 That is ridiculous! How can they call it a bedroom if there is no room to it, not even a bed? :huh:.
Hope things work out for you soon. :flower:

@MoBookworm1957 That is ridiculous! How can they call it a bedroom if there is no room to it, not even a bed? :huh:.
Hope things work out for you soon. :flower:
It has dinky closet too.
Any room can be called bedroom as long as it has a closet.
Going to go buy canned goods because I thought I was moving so I haven't been.
Canned goods really low as a result.
In the living room closet my laptop is wider than the closet, so it can't fit on the shelf.
In the first apartment the mechanical room had room for my freezer.
In the mechanical closet in the apartment thy want me to take, there is barely room for water heater, furnance maybe the length of 18 gallon tote that's it.
Really have bad feeling about this second apartment.
As former retired LEO really hate bait and switch tactics and this smells to high heavens.
This is supposed to be wheel chair accessible, not there.
Will be checking on status of section 8 this morning.

Last edited:
It has dinky closet too.
Any room can be called bedroom as long as it has a closet.
Going to go buy canned goods because I thought I was moving so I haven't been.
Canned goods really low as a result.
In the living room closet my laptop is wider than the closet, so it can't fit on the shelf.
In the first apartment the mechanical room had room for my freezer.
In the mechanical closet in the apartment thy want me to take, there is barely room for water heater, furnance maybe the length of 18 gallon tote that's it.
Really have bad feeling about this second apartment.
As former retired LEO really hate bait and switch tactics and this smells to high heavens.
This is supposed to be wheel chair accessible, not there.
Will be checking on status of section 8 this morning.

Lack of decent affordable living has all but ceased in this nation and prices have sky rocketed.

And the few that are available have long waiting list seem to be reserved for minorities with special interest groups controlling who gets in.. This is not conspiracy it is facts.
Atlanta got rid of all project type apts. Building new complexes that will rent to all income levels.

Skip to 2:30 in video to see what they have replaced them with.

Took my lunch our to check on my Roofing Contractor. Just started to rain so I opened the garage door so they could eat their lunch in the dry. One section over the master bedroom to finish along with the porch and garage roofs. I'm impressed with their craftsmanship and work efficiency. Radar shows we caught just the edge of the rain front moving through. Sun was shining when I got back to work.

House 5.JPG House 6.JPG

Last edited:
Roofing is one of the jobs that I can't do. I don't like high places and my feet and knees would not take the punishment.
There are other jobs that I do not like but I can still do them just don't if there is an option. Sheetrocking and painting are on that list.
Your roof looks good and like you said it should last longer than you do.
That was my Dad's favorite saying. All it has to do is outlive me. Now it's my problem.

Latest posts

Back