What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a school classmate who was always stunningly gorgeous who looks like she still weighs the same as she did in h.s. She said she maintains her weight by eating every couple hours, but not a whole meal. It might be a piece of fruit, or something smaller. It works for both of you. I will have to try it.

It works for me. I eat all the time but just small portions. I like to keep snack foods like carrot salad,potato salad, coleslaw, apples ,nut and raisin.
And I eat stir fry,fried rice with chicken or sliced hot dogs, Just ate a beef mayo sandwich and ice cream. Eat a slice of pizza about 4 times a month. Nothing is off limits including sugar and homemade cakes, cookies.

It works for me. I eat all the time but just small portions. I like to keep snack foods like carrot salad,potato salad, coleslaw, apples ,nut and raisin.
And I eat stir fry,fried rice with chicken or sliced hot dogs, Just ate a beef mayo sandwich and ice cream. Eat a slice of pizza about 4 times a month. Nothing is off limits including sugar and homemade cakes, cookies.
I eat every 3 - 4 hours, moved my plate size down to little bit bigger than saucer.
I also keep snacks ready in refrig.
My snacks are typically carrot sticks, celery with peanut butter, or pimento cheese, cubes of low fat cheese, cherry tomatoes, stuffed mushrooms with pimento cheese, nuts, fresh fruit raisins, fig , dried fruit.
I make up a big plain salad, then I take from my snack tray to add taste, texture, variety to my salad.
Salad dressing on the side.
I don't deny myself food like ice cream, eat 1 or 2 tablespoons just want the taste.
This last week I ate pizza, bought medium size but only ate 1 slice at a time, had side of salad, piece of fruit, unsweet tea or coffee.
Just use common sense, what is right for you.
Even though I myself is not diabetic I was raised to eat like a diabetic, this is the way my mom taught us to cook.
Don't really know any other way to cook.

Up the mountain today - we picked about a gallon of blackberries and just shy of 2 gallons of pink plums. There regular plums still aren't quite ripe. The pears are a couple weeks out. One apple tree is ready but they are just eaters, not really good for canning or baking. We do miss all the fresh fruit around. Well mostly hubby. He likes to graze on the fruits. I don't eat many fruits.
On the diet bit- as far as eating every few hours, I will just say if it works for you. It doesn't for me as if I eat a little something it makes me want something else. I do better eating my meals (yep on a smaller plate) then not snacking between.

...On the diet bit- as far as eating every few hours, I will just say if it works for you. It doesn't for me as if I eat a little something it makes me want something else. I do better eating my meals (yep on a smaller plate) then not snacking between.
I eat once a day at 5 pm whether I need it or not:).
It's not really possible for me to overeat for the day.
Since I don't work anymore, I don't really ever get hungry:confused:.

I eat once a day at 5 pm whether I need it or not:).
It's not really possible for me to overeat for the day.
Since I don't work anymore, I don't really ever get hungry:confused:.
My ideal is actually brunch and linner- two meals: mid morning and late afternoon. Not really conducive to working but is pretty much how we roll on the weekends.

I do well on two meals a day, but really need to go to one. It's hard when I'm the cook. Impossible when I'm at the farm with relatives.
Need to go into "town" today and get a few things. Supper tonight is at our place (bratwurst). My sister is down from Florida for the family reunion tomorrow, so she's staying with mom and keeping her pretty busy. They came for brunch yesterday and stayed all day. Took mom on a Ranger ride and she fell asleep. Sis and I picked pears and apples, and had some grape pie after supper that my cousin made from the grapes at our farm. Expecting mom and sis to arrive around lunchtime today and stay through suppertime. Expecting a few more cousins for supper and hoping sis can bring Uncle Melvin (he's 95) for supper.

First official day back to work at the new/old job. It's like nothing has changed. Same secretary, same boss, same office, same unmarked Tahoe, same everything. Well except my former Commander who took my job is now retired. Plus there are something like 3 new officers running around I have to meet. Boss said to just settle in this week, which means I am here but don't have much of anything to do. I will likely spend most of the day reading reports, reviewing crime maps, watching bodycam videos, and reviewing the budget. I also need to figure out where my Windham SBR went, because I want it back!

Been to doctor.
That went well I think.
No, I know it went well.
Getting ready to make salsa this afternoon.
Going to have crockpot of spaghetti sauce simmering in crockpot this afternoon too.
Had sick Grand daughter for a few hours when I got home.
Which is why I am just getting started on tomatoes.
Will have about 6 quart bags of corn on cob ready to go in chest freezer this afternoon, I hope.
Have to turn on the freezer, haven't had it on since I moved here.
Reviewing my salsa ingredients list one more time.
Thinking I need more distilled white vinegar for my receipe.
Why yes I do need distilled white vinegar, nary a drop in this house.
Can you make zucchini pickles with zucchini and small yellow squash?
Like bread and butter pickles or my absolute favorite kosher dill.

Can you make zucchini pickles with zucchini and small yellow squash?
Like bread and butter pickles.

I've made bread and butter pickles with just yellow squash and a few onions, bell peppers, etc. Very good!

Today was laundry day, clean bathrooms, dust house and take eBay photos. All done!

Wife and I spent the afternoon on the lake again. What's not to like about retirement?
Of course since I retired, everybody asks me the same question:

Them: "So, what are you doing these days?"
Me: "The one thing I never got to do in 30 years..."
(I can see them getting intrigued)
Them: "So what's that?"
Me: "Absolutely nothing:D".
Me: "My only problem is, there is so much, I can't tell when I get done".
lol.gif

Today I finally got outside in the yard early this morning to help DH put 3/4's of the chicken wire around the garden beds we set up and that is now done and we just need to wire off the front to keep the kangaroos out of them. I was starting to get a little cabin fever not being able to go outside with this cream but happy we did in the cool of the morning where there is mostly shady areas.

Brilliant DH has repaired the brand new log splitter and apparently it was missing oil seals being an o'ring in the ram casing at the bottom of the screw and we added two rubber seals at the top of the ram screw and the result is it works beautifully and doesn't spew out hydraulic oil anymore. The company gave us a $40 refund for the hydraulic oil that we lost out of it and to buy the new seals with. I am still not amused that if you have problems it takes them 9 days even to reply on their online shop but the main thing is we have a working log splitter now and I will leave appropriate feedback.

This afternoon under the shade of the shed lean-to we split the rest of the ironbark firewood logs we had in the shed to do and the log splitter didn't miss a beat or leak oil :woo hoo:.

Tonight's dinner is porridge and I may be having a couple of jelly beans.

Today I have to qualify on my sidearm and back up guns, which also means I get to shoot some really fun stuff. Plus I am also going around to shake hands with various chiefs, a Sheriff, some politicians and a few gov't functionaries. That will be less fun.

Later today I am going to take my youngest to the Jujitsu school for a demo and then to the TKD school for a demo. He is not sure which one he wants to join this fall. I know which one I want him to join, but if he decides himself he will put more into it. At this stage it's all about the discipline and physical activity more than anything else.

Pulled weeds this morning in office flower bed, just finished what I started a week ago.
Got all the invasive weeds(flowers out)and to know for sure if weed or flower.
Take picture on phone shoot it Missouri conservation department or to the University of Missouri Horticulature site.
They usually answer pretty quick.
Got spaghetti sauce going in crockpot for supper.
Which will be clams in shell, red spaghetti sauce over spaghetti, side salad, coffee or unsweet tea, my version of Texas toast with broiled mozzeralla cheese on it.
Laundry has been sorted, 1 load is in washer, 1 load waiting for the washer to finish.
Found out I have grand daughter tomorrow instead of today.
Which is fine.
Grand daughter and I restarted yoga yesterday mid morning.
She just giggled and laughed at Granny.
Granny got hugs and kisses for being on floor with grand daughter.
Back to work with the tomatoes, corn, freezer is finally cold enough to place things in again.
Ye Haw, will work on filling that bad boy back up.
Everybody have a wonderful day, afternoon, evening, night where ever you are in the world.
Stay safe.

Today I'm going to go for a 1 1/2 hr ride (each way) to the VA hospital, to let Medtronics(mfg) do a total check up on my Defib/Pace maker after having surgery(knee replaced) 4 weeks ago.
Ever think about what would happen if that defibrillator fired during surgery :blow up: .
I'm told they must turn it off or block it during surgery...

Then get an Echo Cardiogram performed, at my cardiologists request, prior to another knee surgery in 7 weeks,

Not exactly my idea of a fun filled day,:pickup:

Just another bump in the road , life must go on...:dancing:

Jim

Of course since I retired, everybody asks me the same question:

Them: "So, what are you doing these days?"
Me: "The one thing I never got to do in 30 years..."
(I can see them getting intrigued)
Them: "So what's that?"
Me: "Absolutely nothing:D".
Me: "My only problem is, there is so much, I can't tell when I get done".View attachment 23190

Wife: What are you going to do today?
Retired me: Nothing.
Wife: That's what you did yesterday!
Retired me: Well...I'm not finished yet!

Today I'm going to go for a 1 1/2 hr ride (each way) to the VA hospital, to let Medtronics(mfg) do a total check up on my Defib/Pace maker after having surgery(knee replaced) 4 weeks ago.
Ever think about what would happen if that defibrillator fired during surgery :blow up: .
I'm told they must turn it off or block it during surgery...

Then get an Echo Cardiogram performed, at my cardiologists request, prior to another knee surgery in 7 weeks,

Not exactly my idea of a fun filled day,:pickup:

Jim

Hope its all good news from the check up Jim. :huggs:

Today I'm going to go for a 1 1/2 hr ride (each way) to the VA hospital, to let Medtronics(mfg) do a total check up on my Defib/Pace maker after having surgery(knee replaced) 4 weeks ago... Then get an Echo Cardiogram performed, at my cardiologists request, prior to another knee surgery in 7 weeks.
Jim
"We can rebuild him. Better, faster, stronger!":D
458838_413434755366760_790905064_o.jpg

He would cost over a billion dollars today and he would be weaker, slower and no better than the liberals allow. :)

Unpacking from the trip and cleaning house.
Time for some relaxation after we get totally over packing unpacking for trip we took.
I told daughter to not listen to any of my advice today. Time for us to just sit back and listen and pray instead of getting involved.
Grass is up to our knees so cutting that a little here and there.
Early in the A.M. I'll clean chicken pens 16X16 and 8X16. And then if rain lets up this week go out in the boat. Today sunny so got some grass cut.

Latest posts

Back