What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe hard to make it out and they don't look as big as they really are .
This is the big one $200.
Below are the 5, really 6 others then mulch everything clean. $500.
Jim

Cherry wood and fish are a match made in heaven... nothing like fish smoked with cherry. Me, I'd have that guy save me a 2ft cut out of the butt, split it, put it under a shed to season a couple of years... enough cherry wood to smoke every fish in your pond! ;)

Quiet day here, just sports on the tube... did the dishes and swept.

Today I'm working on an IP camera system.

And I just signed up for a HAM radio license course a few minutes ago (the beginner, Technician level). I was going to do it from books alone, but decided it would be nice to get out, meet new people, and see stuff in person as opposed to just reading about it in a book.

If you're answering texts/emails from work then you're not off. Hubby does this all the time and it irritates the heck out of me.
If he's going to do that then why bother "taking off" work? you're still working o_O
+1. Hubby does that to. Drives me nuts!!

Unfortunately I have the same thing happen. It don't happen as much as it used to. But when it does there is something going on that needs an answer right then. At least I don't get a call and have to go in to often.
I get a call from work only about once every 3 months....since I retired:D.

Being 550 miles away sure pays off!
rayof.gif

Good for you, Haertig. I'm also a tech. Husband is a gen. It is easier in a class, and you can learn about local clubs and practice on nets. And you can get an Elmer.
Husband and I will be helping out at the tailgate at the Duke City Hamfest coming up in a few weeks. Also, taking some classes and visiting with other ham friends. Someone is teaching a Boy Scout Radio Merit Badge there all day so signed grandson and his friend up for it.

Yard sale is over- yay! Everything put away that didn't sell. Didn't sell much big stuff even though today was half off - almost free, but tons of the little stuff which is good. As we packed up, I made a Veteran's pile and a pile for everything else to be donated. My car is full, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. There are 3-4 things we will try to sell via Craigslist just because they are larger (or more valuable) items. We decreased the volume in the garage by about half so that's not too bad considering it dumped down rain this morning. We got our workout moving full tables into the garage then later back out of the garage. We have the heavy canvas type tarps so tarping and untarping was a job also.
I know better than to say I will never do something- God has made his point on that one. Last time we had a yard sale, I said I hope I never have to do that again. I guess I just need to eliminate that word from my vocabulary completely.
Alas, it is over and tonight I will sleep well.

Yea! I heard on the news tonight the county has started rebuilding the old bridge. The one is this photo burned down in 2017. At the time it was the longest wooden bridge in the US.

Teenagers had a party and lit a bonfire that got out of hand. Same thing happened to the bridge before this one around 2003. That bridge had lasted since the 60’s.

Teenagers have been coming here to party since I was a teenager. There is just nothing else to do way out in the boonies. Yes, I attended quite a few myself. In winter this river will run 20ft deep, in summer some pools are 8 to 10ft deep. Lots of places to hang a rope swing and cool off on a hot summer day. I took the photo during a severe drought. I had never seen the water that low before.

I still like to drive over here occasionally. The burned-out bridge prevented me from accessing about 40 miles of gravel roads (lined with medicinal plants).

I look forward to driving down the access road on the far side of the bridge and walking down to the river again…

Whitson bridge_v1.jpg

Carrying on from yesterday is that church had a free garage sale and had a table of free goods so DH picked up an electric knife and scissors sharpener and a roll of free clear contact paper. The knife sharpener works really well as we tried it out.

Today we started off the morning with chopping the capsicum we got on clearance and had enough for two meal portions for the freezer to stock up supplies. DH then trench composted vegetable scraps in the garden beds, washed the dishes and cleaned the benches and I wiped them and put them away. We then went out into the gardens and put some trimmed branches through the palm frond mulcher and put them around one of the mulberry trees to build up mulch and keep the water in as it is getting warmer now we are in spring.

DH then had a nap and while he was sleeping I added organic fertiliser to 2 garden beds and in one planted California red and yellow capsicums, basil and heirloom sweetie tomatoes and money maker tomatoes and in the other planted heirloom bantam corn and stringless bush bean strike heirloom seeds. While I was planting the other beds I watered one we planted earlier for 15 minutes and then turned that off and watered the newly planted 2 garden beds for an hour. We should only need now to turn them on for 15 minutes a day to keep the seeds moist until they sprout in the garden beds saving water. I then hand watered the potted fruit and herb plants. DH fed the cat for me while I was busy watering.

Tonight's dinner is the other half of our minced beef and vegetable stirfry and dessert will be the final third of our blueberry crumble.

Ok , today is 7 weeks out from getting a new knee.
I'm climbing the walls , wanting to do something, anything.
So I have the pushbutton, I have the bell wire ($5 wire, $5 pb).
It's 87 degrees outside , high humidity, but I'm going crazy , didn't have far to go, huh.

I'm done..yay..
I did it.
Test out that knee..on ladder, up and down many times,
Spent about an hour hooking it up to the opener.
That new knee is awesome.
Dr told me it would be at least 4 months before I would really appreciate it....wrong...7 weeks.
Now I'm anxious be to get the other knee done.

Yeah the wife chewed me out ..you know, climbing the ladder.

Jim
PS, took a long walk around the pond.
We could use rain.

Well, we tried. Had to unenroll the kid from school. In the 3 weeks she was there she missed 3 days and spent the better part of 2 more in the nurses office because of her blood pressure being to low. Back to homeschooling we go. And I do mean we.... I have to relearn geometry to teach it to the kid.

I am relishing the quiet now that the hubby is back to work after being off all last week. He is the noisiest thing ever. lol
He finished the new siding on the rest of the house and put up gutter guard over the rain gutters
If he wasn't pounding, it was the radio blasting or it was the saw running. Glad its all done now
He'll be taking another week off in Nov for Thanksgiving but I have no idea what he'll get up to then ( I'm hoping by then I can talk him into moving my greenhouse ;))

Ok , today is 7 weeks out from getting a new knee.
I'm done..yay..
I did it.
Test out that knee..on ladder, up and down many times,
Spent about an hour hooking it up to the opener.
That new knee is awesome.
Dr told me it would be at least 4 months before I would really appreciate it....wrong...7 weeks.
Now I'm anxious be to get the other knee done.

Yeah the wife chewed me out ..you know, climbing the ladder.
PS, took a long walk around the pond.
We could use rain.
clap.gif
It's the parts around the joint that have to overcome the trauma of the surgery.
That's why the rehab is so important.
Some people never complete it and end up still cripple with a brand-new $30,000 joint.
The moving mechanical 'cyborg' parts will never feel pain.
And that can be a big relief after years of daily pain from a deteriorated joint.

Envious=me:oops:.

View attachment 24189It's the parts around the joint that have to overcome the trauma of the surgery.
That's why the rehab is so important.
Some people never complete it and end up still cripple with a brand-new $30,000 joint.
The moving mechanical 'cyborg' parts will never feel pain.
And that can be a big relief after years of daily pain from a deteriorated joint.

Envious=me:oops:.

The only real harsh pain I experienced was the rehab...bending , stretching , flexing. Even that was not excruciating.

I have full range of motion without pain, just some tightness .
My surgeon never cut a tendon or ligament, still a little soreness.

Jim

Relate @phideaux as you get cabin fever when you have to stay inside and your mobility is decreased or like me you are doing skin cancer treatment. Even though DH was having a nap, as I can now put on sunscreen, I was going outside no matter what to plant something as I was going stir crazy. I can't sit still at any time and am an outdoorsy person as well.

:LOL::LOL:..

Seems that you know us too well .

Sneak :LOL:

Jim
We should you've been admitting stuff to us for years that the spouses never hear.:thumbs: If my wife ever starts posting here you won't recognise me anymore.

We should you've been admitting stuff to us for years that the spouses never hear.:thumbs: If my wife ever starts posting here you won't recognise me anymore.

That's my ace in the hole,
My spouse don't even know what I'm doing , other than sitting here passing time and maybe a little gas , to keep her at a safe distance.:D

Jim

@phideaux I just read the last few posts. Hubby said tell you to quit giving away all "our" secrets :LOL:

I figured I would crash last night. As it turns out I was awake most of the night. Maybe catching up from 4 days with no water, canning, hosting a yard sale in a thunderstorm, and 2 evening events has me a little wound up. I'm hoping to actually sleep tonight.

@phideaux I just read the last few posts. Hubby said tell you to quit giving away all "our" secrets :LOL:

I figured I would crash last night. As it turns out I was awake most of the night. Maybe catching up from 4 days with no water, canning, hosting a yard sale in a thunderstorm, and 2 evening events has me a little wound up. I'm hoping to actually sleep tonight.

Eat a banana, with some milk.
Or take a melatonin pill.

Sometimes that helps me get some sleep.

Jim

@phideaux yes being careful and every time I look like going outside I smother myself in 50+ sunscreen and a large broad brimmed hat. I was working in the gardens planting under 50% shadecloth and the trees in between were shading the beds too. I won't be ever having a round 2 of efudix if I can help it and I wear 50+ sun protection long sleeved cotton shirts even in summer and long jeans.

@Caribou I am behaving :rolleyes:, well as best as I can for a hyperactive redhead, as DH and doctors said I could get outside once I had peeled only with sunblock on. Being a redhead the skin treatment pointed out to me just how little a hat protects the lower part of your face :eek: without sunblock on . It is healing but still a bit baby butt pink in places with no open wounds. I am going out later in the afternoons when the heat of the day is gone or early in the mornings. Now that I actually have energy back and my thyroid meds have kicked in I am in seventh heaven once again. Still got a bit of energy to get back but they say in a month I should be relatively back to normal but just rattling with all the medications I am taking.

@LadyLocust glad you got a good nights rest you have earned it being so busy organising two homes and working.

Last edited:
Today we started off the day just relaxing and filled up both cars with jerry cans of fuel we had in the shed. Then into town for DH's psychology appointment which went well.

Went to 3 different supermarkets to finish off our grocery shopping and Aldi hands down had the cheapest fruit so we purchased it there along with cat food and macadamia nuts. Then to IGA where we found breakfast cereal on special along with premium beef mince which we purchased. Then to Woolworths and got most of our staples there as with our discount they are cheaper than Aldi and we stocked up on more tinned mangoes. We are over $50 under budget for the month even after stocking up on an extra carton of powdered milk and cocoa powder and tinned lychees so we may buy ourselves some new pillows for the bed as ours are getting a bit flat tomorrow when we are going out for another medical appointment for DH.

Then we headed to the plant nursery and purchased some strawberry plants, some rosemary and a Washington navel fruit tree as our gardening budget is well and truly in credit.

Shortly we shall date the groceries, rotate and put them away and DH will set the drip irrigation system off to water the newly planted vegetable seeds in 3 garden beds and water the potted fruit and herb plants.

Dinner we haven't decided on but it will be something simple.

Regular chores today and then more cleanout. I have a portion of my closet cleaned out, and I have another big file cabinet to do. My goal is a trunkload a week to the thrift store, and I grocery shop on Wednesdays, so that's when I drop off. We get our grocery ads that start tomorrow, so I'll be looking at my lists/menu for the week then.

Today is our anniversary :heart:
53 years ago we walked the isle.
2 kids just out of high school.
I wouldn't change anything that we have done.
3 daughters, 6 grandkids.
It's been a great life.

Today we just go shopping , she loves to shop.
Then we have a good meal , at Outback Steakhouse... tradition for us , except the milestone years , 25, 50, and 60 ....then we get away for a week somewhere special.
Yeah, there are better places, but that's where we started celebrating years ago.

So I'm looking forward to today and hopefully many more.

Jim

Latest posts

Back