What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you.
Any tips will be much appreciated. This is our first time canning anything.
We made a batch of tomato sauce with Roma tomatoes. I don't like the way it tastes so I want to make more using a different tomato.
Do you think Early Girl or Beef Steak would work? We have a lot of those.
Tomorrow I am going to try my hand at making and canning salsa.
I follow the Bell canning book to the letter so hopefully I don't kill us or make us all sick.
I actually am enjoying the whole process. Reminds me of family that have passed and make me feel closer to them.
I just wish I would have learned from Mom and my Grandmas.

Last edited:
A few years back, about 1:30 AM, we had a snowmobile cut through our property. Snowmobile traveled on the county road (illegal) passed both the exits/entrances to our "U" driveway. Up and over our septic mound system back towards our attached garage. Followed the driveway passing the lane to my unattached shop. Driver did a "U" turn and followed the shop lane to the end. Then drove pass the shop following a trail I had cut through the back woods. Then he/she continue across my neighbors woods until he/she found another country road. To prevent that from happening again I built a simple 2x4 gate. To the left and right of the gate is a drainage ditch. Attached reflectors and signage to the gate (no we don't own a dog). Anyone trying that again will loose their snowmobile windshield or get stuck (hopefully) in the ditch if they try to drive around.

IMG_0032.jpg

I agree a 2x4 gate may not be much of an obstacle. The 2x4s are just a cover for the aircraft cable that is attached on the backside.

IMG_0033.jpg

Recently I had several trees dropped that would threaten the house roof. Some of the logs (elm) were just too good to cut up into fireplace lengths so I repurposed them. Lumberyard for some large (and heavy) retaining wall blocks. After I had the blocks level into place I used the Mule to pull the logs closer. The smaller end of the logs I was barely able to lift unto a block. Using a 2x4x8' as lever I got the other end of the small log up on its block. Log #2 was the heaviest and it needed to be lifted 16", my lever wouldn't work. Wrapped a chain as high as I could reach on the gate post, a second chain around the log. Hooked a come-a-long between the two chains and gently persuaded the log into position. 2x4 wedged into the block cavities prevent the logs from rolling off. Now there ain't no way (excuse my French) for sure that anyone can drive around the gate and miss the tank traps (ditch) on either side!

IMG_0034.jpg

Last edited:
@The Lazy L we had to add a gate at the end of our driveway too. People would get lost looking for a place and instead of just turning around at the end of our driveway they would come all the way into the property where we park and turn around. I still haven't figured out that sort of thinking

I'm enjoying the cooler temps ( 63!) and the nice slow gentle rain we're getting here this morning
I went to the restaurant supply store and bought more shrimp on sale, also picked up 5lbs of crabcakes and more cod filets
Today I have some laundry to get done and dishes to do
And I plan on doing some porch sitting today some time

Went to breakfast with husband, and went to pay off our home mortgage (hooray!). Was very annoyed that we were charged a $30 wire transfer fee to send the money to pay off our mortgage. The money to pay it off and the mortgage itself are in the same bank, just different account numbers. What a racket.
Husband asked the "personal banker at Wells Fargo" if he thought we would be seeing negative interest rates soon like Europe has. He said he didn't know, but it'll be wild if we do. But also brought up the fact that they borrow at negative interest rates in Europe. So it encourages Europeans to borrow lots of money. They are paid to borrow money to increase their debt. The thought is, that they will spend that borrowed money and spread it around.

Makes no sense.

Went to breakfast with husband, and went to pay off our home mortgage (hooray!). Was very annoyed that we were charged a $30 wire transfer fee to send the money to pay off our mortgage. The money to pay it off and the mortgage itself are in the same bank, just different account numbers. What a racket.
Husband asked the "personal banker at Wells Fargo" if he thought we would be seeing negative interest rates soon like Europe has. He said he didn't know, but it'll be wild if we do. But also brought up the fact that they borrow at negative interest rates in Europe. So it encourages Europeans to borrow lots of money. They are paid to borrow money to increase their debt. The thought is, that they will spend that borrowed money and spread it around.

Makes no sense.

First, :woo hoo::clapping:.

It makes sense to someone. The poor are easier to control. If you are flat broke you have nothing to loose. If you have a mortgage you have the illusion of owning your home. When the bubble bursts the banks wind up owning almost everything turning us into serfs. The central banks print the money, on their own presses so it costs them almost nothing.

Makes no sense.

Congratulations!! Having the house paid off is wonderful.

went to pay off our home mortgage (hooray!).

Great going! Best feeling ever! Ours is paid off too and we did it before we turned 60 ( yay!) Now we use that money to fix up the house lol

Well, we sold the business and paid off the farm and the house, so now we need to fix up the house and sell it. It needs a lot of work. But we were paying 4% interest on it, and the money from the business can't make 4% anywhere (CD's are 1.9 to 2. something..) so it made sense to pay off mortgages. So different from when we were first married. Bought a townhome new in Santa Cruz California in the early 80's and interest rate was 12 1/2 percent!!!!! Still, the bank almost acted like they didn't want us to pay it off. I sure hope we don't go the way of Europe. Scary times ahead.

Congratulations to Amish Heart for getting everything paid off on mortgages.
Congratulations to Phideaux and wife of 53 years.
Finished another blanket.
Slowly and surely plugging away on my 10 blankets.
Just started on number 7, would have had 8, but grand daughter latched on to one.
If she gets her special pillow and the blanket she latched on to, crawls up on Granny's lap.
Manuevers around where Granny can still crochet, takes a good healthy 2 hour nap.
She still doesn't feel good.
She's cutting 4 back molars at the same time.
Then by durn she deserves that blanket.
Have had her 1 extra day this week.
Her mom's hours have changed.
He dad's hours and job has changed.
All this means is Granny has her an extra day or two.
Been plugging away with extra car payments being made on principle to get the car paid off sooner than later.
Everybody have a good day, afternoon, evening, night stay safe.

Dishes are done.
Trash is gathered up and ready to go to outside trashcan sooner than later.
Bedding has been stripped off the bed.
Changed with clean bed linens.
Changed out some curtains on the back door.
Really dislike the thoughts of hanging up heavy draft ending drapes up.
But it's September, and I don't like to be cold either.
Started on another blanket for Crocheting across America.
Supper will be leftover pizza.
Will do up laundry up this evening.
Dust the floors, steam mop the shower and the bathroom floors.
Then will be caught up for the next week.

Moon looked like it was full on my way to work this morning. Hovering just above the horizon. Very Beautiful dark orange color. But I'm always star gazing, moon or planet watching. Just something I've enjoyed since I was a kid.

Last few weeks have been rough at work. Last couple of months before the end of our fiscal year is always crazy, but this year has been even worse than normal. Gettin sick in the middle of it didn't help. We had incident the middle of August that ended up being reportable and had a huge critique that included 4 division directors and about 25 others. When I found out what had happened and knew the critique was coming my group and I got busy and had some solutions thought up to present to keep it from happening again. Ended up the critique went well and our solutions were looked at very favorably. When I got back from my illness 2 of the folks I deal with closest was thrilled with our ideas and told me to move forward with them. Finally got all the quotes back today and got those parts ordered and last night 2 of my techs built a flow switch with warning lights to be used with it. Showed that to my boss and division director this morning, they were both impressed.
I'm also working on 6 other projects, one of we just completed yesterday and turn it over to the owner. I've got a crew working this weekend to do a preliminary installation for another one. Spoke with the vendor for this one and they will be shipping next week and will arrive here the 26th to help with the installation. This one was a last minute deal that got dropped on me. I didn't think we had a shot at getting it done. But looks like it'll be done on time to.
All in all things started coming together today. Gotta say some stress was relived today.

Moon looked like it was full on my way to work this morning. Hovering just above the horizon. Very Beautiful dark orange color. But I'm always star gazing, moon or planet watching. Just something I've enjoyed since I was a kid.

Last few weeks have been rough at work. Last couple of months before the end of our fiscal year is always crazy, but this year has been even worse than normal. Gettin sick in the middle of it didn't help. We had incident the middle of August that ended up being reportable and had a huge critique that included 4 division directors and about 25 others. When I found out what had happened and knew the critique was coming my group and I got busy and had some solutions thought up to present to keep it from happening again. Ended up the critique went well and our solutions were looked at very favorably. When I got back from my illness 2 of the folks I deal with closest was thrilled with our ideas and told me to move forward with them. Finally got all the quotes back today and got those parts ordered and last night 2 of my techs built a flow switch with warning lights to be used with it. Showed that to my boss and division director this morning, they were both impressed.
I'm also working on 6 other projects, one of we just completed yesterday and turn it over to the owner. I've got a crew working this weekend to do a preliminary installation for another one. Spoke with the vendor for this one and they will be shipping next week and will arrive here the 26th to help with the installation. This one was a last minute deal that got dropped on me. I didn't think we had a shot at getting it done. But looks like it'll be done on time to.
All in all things started coming together today. Gotta say some stress was relived today.
Man! That brings back memories!
Let's see now, today I was going to wash my clothes, naa, maybe tomorrow or Sunday:rolleyes:. Watched TV and took a nap instead.
I do not miss being 'in the mix' at all.
...And I have enjoyed looking at the beautiful full-moon tonight:D.
Retirement: It's worth waiting for:).

Just remembered! Today is my one-year anniversary!
I hung it all up on 09-13-18.

Was up at 0450 and worked my 10 hour day. Took a little drive around southern Wisconsin after work, saw some pretty cool old dairy barns but nothing else too interesting. After that I went back to the hotel and worked out for a half hour. Everything is pretty wet here because it has rained the last three nights. I've got four more days of work in Wisconsin, hopefully the rain is done...

Man! That brings back memories!
Let's see now, today I was going to wash my clothes, naa, maybe tomorrow or Sunday:rolleyes:. Watched TV and took a nap instead.
I do not miss being 'in the mix' at all.
...And I have enjoyed looking at the beautiful full-moon tonight:D.
Retirement: It's worth waiting for:).

Just remembered! Today is my one-year anniversary!
I hung it all up on 09-13-18.

Jealous! If my body doesn't fall apart I'll reach full retirement eligibility around April...April of 2039, that is. I should be eligible for full medical disability/retirement in 2029 but hopefully I won't have to use it. We'll see how the back/feet/shoulder hold up...:confused:

@backlash I'll PM you re. tomatoes so I don't bore folks.
@Amish Heart Congrats!!! What a great feeling that must be.
This morning I took a load to and picked up a load from Lewiston, ID. Made it back just in time to meet my mom and her cousin (who is visiting from out of state) at the quilt show.
Came home a got wax heating and picked more tomatoes. Then dipped a batch of beeswax candles. I also made some votives that are half paraffin and half beeswax. The wicks I have aren't strong enough for straight beeswax so I'm hoping the half and half works. I don't like paraffin but have lots of it so might as well use it. I use candles in the mornings while we are drinking our coffee. It's a much kinder light to wake up to than a blaring bulb. I am on my last candle which is actually store bought. I'll have to make another batch maybe next month. Today was pretty warm as far as making candles.
Oh and since it's Friday thr 13th, I bought a lottery ticket. I figure if God wants me to win I will, if not I won't. If I'm gonna win, I might as well have a fun story to go with it. The fact that there's a full moon - I got the kicker :).

Jealous! If my body doesn't fall apart I'll reach full retirement eligibility around April...April of 2039, that is. I should be eligible for full medical disability/retirement in 2029 but hopefully I won't have to use it. We'll see how the back/feet/shoulder hold up...:confused:
Just cut work off at 62.
For those of us with 'high-miles' 65 is some fantasy that someone else wrote on a piece of paper.
It's fiction.

Just cut work off at 62.
For those of us with 'high-miles' 65 is some fantasy that someone else wrote on a piece of paper.
It's fiction.
I'd like to do that, but the Railroad Retirement Board is a little screwey about early retirement. I can't get retirement insurance without 360 qualified months of service and we can't get Social Security supplement insurance until age 67. If I had started Railroading at age 28 instead of 35 I would qualify for full retirement at age 60, assuming no more layoffs. Oh well...

I worded this all wrong. What I meant to say is, if I had accrued 360 qualified months of service for the railroad by age 60, I would qualify for Full Railroad Retirement with supplemental Railroad Retirement Board insurance. But since I started later in life, I would get a reduced pension for early Retirement, and no supplemental insurance until I reach age 67...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back