What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not retiring early.
Don't drink the Kool-Aid:mad:.
Back in the 60's and 70's the retirement age was always 55.
What happened?
Senior-citizen discount? 55 and older
Ask the AARP, they will come for you when you turn 55; retirement age.
Has nobody noticed that they have slowly and steadily moved the 'finish-line' further and further away while people are running the race?

Just because the government stole money out of the SS trust and they changed the numbers on some piece of paper, it does not mean our sentence 'at hard labor' gets extended.View attachment 24499

I know but what can we do about it? :dunno:

I know but what can we do about it? :dunno:
Get into a 401K, IRA, or Roth IRA with both feet. 10% or more of pre-tax income.
Don't depend on the government to take care of you.
My oldest brother decided to hold out until 65 (AKA: full retirement age) before drawing SS.
He died at age 64, a single man.
How much did he draw?
All of the money he paid into SS went where?
It went poof!
0046.gif

It helps to pay my SS and all the other SS accounts in the USA. What they don't pay out to people they use to pay the interest on our federal debt... which is, in my mind, a criminal act.

It helps to pay my SS and all the other SS accounts in the USA. What they don't pay out to people they use to pay the interest on our federal debt... which is, in my mind, a criminal act.
Yeah, that's what they tell us when they aren't busy blowing the panic whistle: "Social Security is Going Broke!".
overreaction110.gif

And since I get SS, I can plead guilty to being 'one of the other SS accounts'.

There's only one problem; both you and I will have already paid more into SS than we will live to withdraw.
Glad you mentioned the giant urine leak coming out of the bottom of the SS system, the Government.

On topic: I washed my clothes today! I'm good for another 2 weeks:D.
clapslow.gif

Got a surprise today. Earlier I had several trees dropped. I'm responsible for brush and wood clean up. One of the workers was interested in the Hickory. I told him it's his for the taking. Today he arrived and took ALL the wood (this is good) and pushed my brush piles further off the shop drive. Shop drive is now open all the way to the shop!

Yay! and it was a free lean up besides.

That's not retiring early.
Don't drink the Kool-Aid:mad:.
Back in the 60's and 70's the retirement age was always 55.
What happened?
Senior-citizen discount? 55 and older.
Ask the AARP, they will come for you when you turn 55; retirement age.
Has nobody noticed that they have slowly and steadily moved the 'finish-line' further and further away while people are running the race?

Just because the government stole money out of the SS trust and they changed the numbers on some piece of paper, it does not mean our sentence 'at hard labor' gets extended.View attachment 24499

If it makes you feel better 55 is still "the" retirement age at my department. As long as you have at least 25 years of service or more and are 55 years old you will get your full pension for life and your surviving spouse will get 50% of it for the rest of his/hers. I intend however to work until age 58. Because of my time in service and current pay grade, I should be able to get a longevity bump that pushes me up to a higher pension rate by working those extra 3 years. Plus my baby boys will graduate high school that same year.

None of our retirement plans involve Social Security. If we do get it that money will all be "extra".

My Fomer Employer stated that there was a MANITORY retirement age of 65. I asked where in the employee handbook did it state that? The handbook was so detailed that it was againest policy to take more then one step at a time going down stairwells. There was NO references to any manitory retirement age. I was then told that I had misunderstood. NORMAL retirement age is 65. My 65 birthday passed without any further suggestions about retirement. 18 months later I handed in my registration.

I believe because I quit on my terms and not theirs, is the reason my pension payout was delayed several months. No problem. I suspected from the companies past history so I had a year's salary saved.

Last edited:
I took SS the minute I was eligible. It will take several years to make up the dollar difference from the early checks that I got plus those dollars are more valuable that the dollars I'm getting now.
There you go!:D
If you add in the 3 full-years of income you get from age 62 to 65, it takes the guy that waited until 65 to retire (and get "The Big Check":rolleyes:) until he's 72-80 years old to catch you.
Every one of them that doesn't make it, saves the SSA money.
Oh wait, it's our money.
Money we paid in:mad:.

@Sentry18 Nothing wrong with retiring at 58. If I had half a brain I would have retired at 61 instead of 62:confused:.
And yes, SS should be short for 'Supplemental Security':p.

I think it worked out to 77 and change. If you factor in inflation and previous buying power it has to be 80 give or take. Not knowing whether they would end SS or possibly quit taking new applications factored into my decision.

Husband is thinking about retiring soon. He is 66. Works 32 hrs a week for medical insurance. He may get medicare, but the rest of us don't

This is part of our planning as well. When I am 58 my wife will be 48. I won't be eligible for medicare for 7 years and she won't for 17 years! She is currently under my health/dental/optical benefits. But when I retire we will all have to jump over to hers, which are not quite as good and cost more. She will retire at age 55 as well and then we will have to pay for her medical coverage for a full decade.

Today being Sunday we started off the morning with studying our weekly scripture lessons and reading the scriptures.

After a bit of a break we packed all of the meat we purchased into meal sized portions and now the freezer is packed and we should only now need chicken when we find it on a good sale price. I then went out into the gardens and set the drip irrigation system off to water the vegetable gardens, filled the water for the kangaroos and wallabies and hand watered the potted herb and fruit trees.

Last edited:
This is part of our planning as well. When I am 58 my wife will be 48. I won't be eligible for medicare for 7 years and she won't for 17 years! She is currently under my health/dental/optical benefits. But when I retire we will all have to jump over to hers, which are not quite as good and cost more. She will retire at age 55 as well and then we will have to pay for her medical coverage for a full decade.
Not sure of your beliefs on the subject or your situation buuuuut. . . . Have you thought about self insuring? Hubby and I do this. We don't have insurance. We do have an account that what our insurance payment was now goes into. By law we had to have insurance until Jan 1 of this year. (Off the top of my head Obama cost us between $15-$20 with insurance alone.) Sorry about that step up on the soap box. We have a goal for this account which hasn't been met yet - but only began funding it in January. This will cover pretty much anything that comes up with the exception of a catastrophic event. In that situation, we are both in the same mindset- no heroics. (No chemo, no life support etc.). In the meantime, we are earning interest on these funds and gaining worth rather than losing it. Anyhow, just food for thought.

That wouldn't work for us, LL. Husband's medical is a huge deal, and so are his prescriptions. Right now he's covered, and then will be on medicare with a supplement that we'll pay for. Then there's me at 57, and two 14 yr olds to cover. Looking into some of the Christian insurance companies. Anybody use those?
Plan for this morning is to butcher two meat turkeys. A large tom that I've raised for our feed store owner and a smaller hen. Youngest daughter coming by for Sunday dinner.

Thursday, made oven fried okra and chicken strips. Both turned out great!

Friday, made unstuffed pepper casserole for DH, keto type egg muffins for me, brown rice for dogs, and cake batter dip for garden party.

Started yesterday re-potting 6 aloe vera pups for a garden party. Then hot glued flowers to my one hat for same party. Made a flower shaped appetizer from sliced cheese and grapes and then went to party.

Today, Church this morning, then to Dollar General for 2 items and then to an estate sale nearby for half price day. Home to make a brownie batter dip for event after Church tonight and then serve at event and clean up. Today there will be a message from a pastor who may become our new full time pastor. Then talk to him after Church tonight.

Tomorrow, DH has a doc appt. I will hopefully stay home!

Not sure of your beliefs on the subject or your situation buuuuut. . . . Have you thought about self insuring? Hubby and I do this. We don't have insurance. We do have an account that what our insurance payment was now goes into. By law we had to have insurance until Jan 1 of this year. (Off the top of my head Obama cost us between $15-$20 with insurance alone.) Sorry about that step up on the soap box. We have a goal for this account which hasn't been met yet - but only began funding it in January. This will cover pretty much anything that comes up with the exception of a catastrophic event. In that situation, we are both in the same mindset- no heroics. (No chemo, no life support etc.). In the meantime, we are earning interest on these funds and gaining worth rather than losing it. Anyhow, just food for thought.

That is how we insure the staff at our church. We were paying over $700 a month EACH to cover the pastoral, office, and custodial staff. Then we decided to put that money into an investment fund and our staff submit medical costs. It has worked very well so far, but we have yet to have someone file a serious claim.

Got a surprise today. Earlier I had several trees dropped. I'm responsible for brush and wood clean up. One of the workers was interested in the Hickory. I told him it's his for the taking. Today he arrived and took ALL the wood (this is good) and pushed my brush piles further off the shop drive. Shop drive is now open all the way to the shop!

Nice to here some good news LazyL.:cool:

If it makes you feel better 55 is still "the" retirement age at my department. As long as you have at least 25 years of service or more and are 55 years old you will get your full pension for life and your surviving spouse will get 50% of it for the rest of his/hers. I intend however to work until age 58. Because of my time in service and current pay grade, I should be able to get a longevity bump that pushes me up to a higher pension rate by working those extra 3 years. Plus my baby boys will graduate high school that same year.

None of our retirement plans involve Social Security. If we do get it that money will all be "extra".

Well deserved for a cops kind of work. Lots of stress,especially todays world.

That wouldn't work for us, LL. Husband's medical is a huge deal, and so are his prescriptions. Right now he's covered, and then will be on medicare with a supplement that we'll pay for. Then there's me at 57, and two 14 yr olds to cover. Looking into some of the Christian insurance companies. Anybody use those?
Plan for this morning is to butcher two meat turkeys. A large tom that I've raised for our feed store owner and a smaller hen. Youngest daughter coming by for Sunday dinner.

My daughter tired Christian Insurance and didn't like it at all, so they went back to the ridiculous $900 mon. $25,000 Deduct. So far not one doctor bill has EVER been paid by this but same for the other from what I understand. In past 10 years her son has had plastic surgery from skate board accident, rabies shots,from Fox bite and She is a real religious christian. But check it out it may be ok,don't know.

Today nothing much going on like most of this whole hot humid record breaking Spring and summer.
Hubby says we need a rest from gardening so no plans.

Same here. Hubby dept retirement is 50yrs old with 20 yrs of service or any age with 25 yrs of service with 58 yrs old as mandatory unless you move from the GS pay grade to the SES.

Bathroom is finally cleaned up from Strawberry's shower yesterday.
Got a load of whites to do up.
Will have grand daughter tomorrow.
Got to go check on dad, get newspapers.
Need coffee, just about out.
Almost out of Polident too.
Supper will be Smoked Polish sausage or Keibash , fried potato as in 1, green beans, fresh fruit.

I have 134 days until I can start medicare- when that happens, I plan to cut my hours and go part time for a few months since I'll still have 14 months before I can get full social security (my "full retirement age" is 66 and 2 month). We've saved enough and have enough in savings to not need the SS until I can get the full amount - but if working part time is too much, I can still start drawing the lower amount. I am so looking forward to retiring - as much as I absolutely love my job, I've been working since I was 16 and I am just plain tired! I'm looking forward to having time to write more books, do more embroidery, and play in my garden more!

I retired at 63 and it's been great. Every day is a Saturday and I do what I want, when I want to do it. I stay as busy as I want to.
My wife started SS as soon as she could, 2 years before I did, and when I started SS her monthly amount increased to 50% of my total.
I am covered medically through the VA but I still pay for the Plan B Rx coverage even tho I get Rx from the VA because that coverage is not guaranteed. Congress can stop funding anytime the feel like it. It would probably be political suicide but I don't trust politicians.
My wife has a good supplemental Part D so medical is pretty well covered, for now.
Congratulations on your rapidly approaching retirement. You work for it so enjoy it.

In sitting here completely frustrated. Went to get a refill on one of the kids heart meds yesterday and the on duty pharmacist said the other pharmacist had "deactivated" the prescription and we had to go back to the doc and get another one because this one is no longer good. She had 3 refills left on THIS one! TWF!! How can a pharmacist just cancel the prescription? Now I have to call the Docs office tomorrow and if we have to go in its a 8hr round trip drive!

Last edited:
That is how we insure the staff at our church. We were paying over $700 a month EACH to cover the pastoral, office, and custodial staff. Then we decided to put that money into an investment fund and our staff submit medical costs. It has worked very well so far, but we have yet to have someone file a serious claim.
So are you about to figure out why the insurance companies make such a high profit? Being self-insured will show you quick how much of it is 'free-money' that we just give away.
My daughter tired Christian Insurance and didn't like it at all, so they went back to the ridiculous $900 mon. $25,000 Deduct. So far not one doctor bill has EVER been paid by this but same for the other from what I understand. In past 10 years her son has had plastic surgery from skate board accident, rabies shots,from Fox bite and She is a real religious christian...
They are all about taking premiums. Getting them to pay; you'll need a pair of pliers to get a damn dime out of them.
I have 134 days until I can start medicare- when that happens, I plan to cut my hours and go part time for a few months since I'll still have 14 months before I can get full social security (my "full retirement age" is 66 and 2 month). We've saved enough and have enough in savings to not need the SS until I can get the full amount - but if working part time is too much, I can still start drawing the lower amount. I am so looking forward to retiring - as much as I absolutely love my job, I've been working since I was 16 and I am just plain tired! I'm looking forward to having time to write more books, do more embroidery, and play in my garden more!
Isn't it strange that we find ourselves chained to the wheel of work, not for money, but as a slave to insurance companies?
@Everyone: Please forgive the hijack of this thread, but this is so important in my book because this is one of the few chances we have to make a 'once-in-a-lifetime' mistake which cannot be corrected.
You can always go back to work. What you CANNOT do is go back in time and retire 3 years earlier.
And please look at the skyline pictures of mega-cities and notice that the tallest skyscrapers have the name of an insurance-company on them.
Guess who paid for that?
John Hancock:
33313357231_c12a89693a_o.0.0.jpg

Prudential:
13657596923_69320c5f6e_o.0.0.jpg

Met Life:
Walter_Gropius_photo_MetLife_Building_fassade_New_York_USA_2005-10-03.jpg

Guess who? We're on your side if you're sending us a check:D:
Nationwide.JPG

On topic: What am I doing today? Foaming at the mouth about greedy companies that enslave working people.
brickwall100.gif

Last edited:
In sitting here completely frustrated. Went to get a refill on one of the kids heart meds yesterday and the on duty pharmacist said the other pharmacist had "deactivated" the prescription and we had to go back to the doc and get another one because this one is no longer good. She had 3 refills left on THIS one! TWF!! How can a pharmacist just cancel the prescription? Now I have to call the Docs office tomorrow and if we have to go in its a 8hr round trip drive!

Well that's BS. I would suspect your Dr. can just handle this over the phone however. I know ours does.

Latest posts

Back